Rudi
motorradrudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:37 AM   #647
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcycle View Post
Thanks for the tip! I've never been seasick in my life, but this was probably the most bumpiest water crossing I've taken. I'll definitely stock up on the Gravol the next time we decide to head to the open seas!

Sorry eakins, can't see it? Permissions?
mmm. it's a public folder. that URL is probably related to my FB page and not the main page.
try this one. http://www.facebook.com/foto1111
and then go to Photos. I have no idea who the photographer is but i'm guessing he/she lives in San Pancho.
The sunset pictures are spectacular. I've been to San Pancho for a few great ones myself as the location of the city to the coast seems to produce some great ones. Chacala, that beach town about an hr north, also is positioned for great ones too.

if you PM me i'll give ya directions to this amazing hike/natural area/petroglyphs/waterfall/rock formation/natural swimming pool that I was shown and then later I guided people to. it's been used for 1000s of years as a secret ceremonial spot. it's along the same lines as The Wave as an amazing place to visit. i don't want to publicly describe it's location however but I know you'll do it justice with your photos.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 11:52 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:05 PM   #648
eakins
Butler Maps

after you've fully explored the Puerto Vallarta/Yelapa/Sayulita/Chacala/San Pancho/San Sebastion region,
the road (200) heads inland and up over the mtns vrs following the coast.
at the top is the town of El Tuito (one of the homes to the infamous Raicilla drink http://www.tequilamescal.com/raicilla.htm). you'll notice you're up in the pines, vrs the costal palms, as the road climbs so much.

El Tuito is well worth a stop off the hiway and more importantly is the turn off area to Cabo Corrientes https://www.vallartaonline.com/infor...PlacetoEscape/ Like the Lost Coast in California, most riders miss this area by staying on 200. Places of note not to miss are: playa miato/mayto & tehuamixtle. they are close together and there is lodging to spend a day or 2 as you have beautiful & empty beaches all to yourself.
Butler Maps website:

eakins screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 12:11 PM
Old 12-31-2012, 03:51 PM   #649
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 548
Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/60.html

I've never thought of Mexico as being divided up into states, but like the US and Canada, Mexico has 31 states and 1 federal district. Right now, we've crossed over by ferry into our 3rd state, Sinaloa, after riding through Baja California and Baja California Sur. In Los Mochis, we waited till noon for Rick to finish his motorcycle service and then we all rode together southwards along the coast towards Mazatlan. It's about a 6 hour ride including a break for a late lunch.

Not knowing any better, we were routed to the toll road, which has a great speed limit of 110 km/h, but it was very expensive! We estimate that we paid the same in tolls that we did in gasoline. Note for the future, stay off the Cuota (toll) roads!

Cruising the Malecon in Mazatlan

In Mazatlan, Rick showed us to one of his favorite hotels right on the Malecon. It was relatively cheap since it's off-season and it seemed like we were one of the only occupants in the hotel. Rick took off to spend the night at his friends place and we would meet up a couple of times later in the city for a bite to eat.

Beach on the Malecon

Mazatlan is very much a beach town, but unlike the more well-known seaside resorts like Cancun, Acapulco and Puerto Vallarta, there are more local vacationers and less foreign tourists here. We like that a lot. We got to practice our Spanish with everyone. Man, I really need the practice...

Normally I'm pretty good at seeing where things are headed, but...

ooookey...

We stuffed ourselves with shrimp and seafood. I think this is the biggest meal we've had in Mexico!

After lunch, I felt like this guy...

Colourful parasails punctuate the sand, sea and sky

Sea and sky blend together as birds give chase to the sailboats

Pelicans dive-bomb the waves - the waters are filled with fish!

We tried some Cuban food for a change

Here I'm having a dish called Ropa Vieja, literally translated means "Old Clothes". It's a popular dish in Cuba and it's made of shredded steak in a tomato sauce, some plantains and rice. Although the owner spoke fluent English, Neda made me talk to him in Spanish. From the look on his face, I think I may have ordered "moldy laundry"...

This is the Gringo Tourist section. Everything is done up pretty, but it's way overpriced

This senorita was celebrating her 15th birthday, these are the guys in the party, the rest of the girls were in the nightclub

Plaza Machado is one of the oldest places in Mazatlan, lots of architecture influenced by the French and Spanish. It's recently been restored by local businesses to attract tourist $$$. Very pretty area to stroll through, but it felt a bit sterile, so we didn't stay too long.

Walking around old Mazatlan

The steets around old Mazatlan have been closed to traffic, I think this happens every evening on the weekends. There are tons of people walking the street. We felt much more at home in this environment, with street vendors offering everything from tacos to toys, shoes and clothing and stages set up at every intersection playing live music, dancers and DJs. Amazing!!!

The streets are crowded with locals enjoying their weekend!

Indoor market where the locals shop

Now *THAT'S* what I'm talking about! Keep it coming...

Open air concert in the closed off steets outside of old Mazatlan

Dancers strutting their stuff

Pre-Christmas nuptials

Christmas-time outside the Catedral de la Immaculada Concepcion. How appropriate!

lightcycle screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 09:38 AM
lightcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:31 PM   #650
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 426
Happy New Year and Best Wishes for wonderful experiences in 2013.
CharlestonADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:38 PM   #651
TOTim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Happy New Year you 2 canucks.
Best wishes and good luck in 2013. Sorry, dosmil trece.
TOTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #652
Beto
RustyGasket

Oddometer: 1,842
Happy New Year from Port Credit!

Awesome RR... been following since day 1.

Originally Posted by Ogre_fl
"If it's anyone's fault for a crash... it's always the Ass Fault."
Beto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:04 PM   #653
pceire32
Irish

Oddometer: 632
Great photos, Ride safe and have a great New Year.

Mazatlan is a great little town. I have been going here since 1986.
Take the little ferry across to Stone Island.

Try a slice of Guava Pie at "Panama" amazing ! Panama has several locations in Mazatlan, one near the cathedral, one in the "Golden Zone".

Different from a lot of other Mexican Beach towns Mazatlan is not just a tourist city but a working town, with a coffee factory, a brewery, it's own commercial fishing fleet and many other industries. This takes the focus off the tourist since the economy is not solely dependent on tourism.
pceire32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:56 AM   #654
brecchi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Hey Guys!

I have been keeping up with your travels on here...just got back to the US and headed back to Nicaragua in a month for 6 weeks. You guys are stopping through many places that I went through as well, and I have have been reliving my own trip in my mind while reading this. Except your pictures are much better than mine.

Can't wait to read about your further adventures - and Happy New Year!

brecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #655
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 548
Thanks for all the well wishes, guys. Neda and I really appreciate it! Happy New Year to everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pceire32 View Post
Try a slice of Guava Pie at "Panama" amazing ! Panama has several locations in Mazatlan, one near the cathedral, one in the "Golden Zone".
Funny you mentioned that! Rick, our traveling companion from Mexico City, took us out to a Panama one afternoon, the one at the "Golden Zone" as you mentioned. Great food and amazing desserts as well. We've gained a lot of weight the last month ever since crossing the border, the food is delicious.

Our New Year's resolution is to do more grocery shopping and home cooking - try to fit in those riding pants again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecchi View Post
headed back to Nicaragua in a month for 6 weeks
Cool, keep in touch, we'll have a better idea of where we're going to be as the date gets closer!
Old 01-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #656
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,389
Still hooked

You've nailed it. Great photography, taut writing, wrapped up in a great structure. The way you start each series, with the route, sets our minds for what is coming.

I'll go out on a limb and humbly make some suggestions. At the top, where you post the map, if possible, could you include the miles for the stretch? It would give us a sense for the ride. You could perhaps also include a brief descriptor i.e. 'mostly flat', or 'initially hilly transitioning to flat plains', etc.

Thanks for taking the time, I know it takes a lot of effort to create a good RR that looks good and reads well. Unlike some which become tedious, yours is very well done.

Saludos y que sigan teniendo un buen viaje!!
Old 01-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #657
eakins
Butler Maps

sweet pictures of old town. having driven that stretch several times you infact did make a smart move on taking the cuota road vrs the extremely slow & bumpy road through Culiacan. After you leave Maz to the south the cuota road is worth the $ again imo as there is not much to see in this part of northern Mex. the toll road is fast and smooth concrete so you make time to get to San Blas/Chacala/Sayulita. make sure to gas up right before hit the road as this section towards Tepic for some reason has no gas along the way. You'll get off the San Blas exit and head down to the coast. you'll be done with toll roads along the coast.

that is unless you are going to take the Espinazo Del Diablo (considered the best paved road in mexico. it's mex 40. there is a new toll road alternative that is not quit open yet called 40D. guess you figured out the D version of the road is the toll) to Durango for the night and then back to Maz for the night again or SR alternative paved route http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603538 SR lives in Durango, so you could hook up with him, and could provide you the alternative paved route back to the coast from Durango. It's a newly paved road and he says even better the the Espinazo. this road leaves Durango and comes out at Ruiz not far from the turn down to San Blas so you can avoid all toll roads.

yep most gringos don't know Mexico's full name is the United Mexican States or The United States of Mexico
Butler Maps website:
Old 01-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #658
daysgoneby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1200 View Post
As a very , very motion sick prone person, I know the solution . Before any boat ride, take a Gravol one hour before , and one as the boat leaves the dock. Getting seasick will ruin your day. For a lot of people, taking it only as the boat leaves can be too late.
As a life long boater who get's sea sick try taking Garvol the day before and the day of your boat trip. Three shots of cognac straight down works the best.
daysgoneby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #659
cardam
n00b

Oddometer: 6
i love it.

Wow ! great pic. great trip.great R.R. thanks to share.

Happy new years.

I prepare this kind of trip for august 2016. quebec to calgary,calgary to alaska, alaska to sud california, california to east coast, east coast to N.Y. and N.Y. to home.i got 12 weeks to do this.

Your R.R. make me dream.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #660
davidbrundage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Just Sayin'

You guys seem like the nicest people currently engaged in a ride report here on ADV. Not sure what it is beyond the great photos and narrative, but every installment draws me more and more into your ride.

Keep up the good work!
davidbrundage is offline   Reply With Quote