Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #856
Krime
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Great photos and stories guys... love following along!

- Erik
Krime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #857
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
Gene and Neda,
Sounds like your world just changed .....

Central America is a whole different show than Mexico. Honduras has some islands sharing the same reef system as Belize and the snorkeling there is A-1.....but the crime rate in CA needs to be paid attention to.

Placencia is a destination in Belize, but prices all over have gone up over the years.

Make sure you keep the mosquitoes at bay....Malaria and yellow fever make Montezuma's revenge seem like a party.

Good luck with your transition and don't let it bum you out....

Ironically, years ago when I traveled north to Mexico from CA, I was bummed by the excess of tourists in San Cristobal and the higher Mexican prices....as I was liking the "third world" aspect of Guatemala.

Belize has beaches and a few ruin-temple sites....not much else. The highlands and culture of Guatemala might brighten your views.

Viajar con buena salud, amigos !

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #858
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 360
Gene & Neda

I've been following you both for months and have been quite jealous of your trip. But it's not really a trip is it, it is more of a way of life.

I took a trip a couple of weeks ago and have been documenting it slowly. My RR was momentarily next to yours on page 1 and I felt honored to be in that spot. My trip was a week off of work where my wife and I rode 2500 miles in 8 days. The journey was fantastic! We rode some wonderfully fun pavement and took in great sites but for the most part, we missed the human connection. It's hard to slow down when you have an itinerary yet must get back to work in a few days. In your last post you stated you spent 4 days blowing off riding bikes to relax at the beach! I spent two days riding to my destination and two days riding home again.

The contrast to what you two are doing is stark and I have been pondering the differences in our realities over the past several days. We are tied to careers and post-graduate degrees, hoping we make just a tiny difference in the world. Several months ago as you were just beginning your trip I asked how you made the decision to just chuck it all. That question now seems pointless as it is obvious that you two are living while I am just saving up vacation days between trips and counting the years (20) until I can comfortably retire and ride south until there is no more land to ride upon.

Thanks for the wonderful perspective on life. May RR's like yours carry me another 20 years. Keep it coming,
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #859
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Hola & eh? Gene & Neda - Have seriously enjoyed your "road less traveled" adventure. Travel is a wonderful antidote to ignorance & prejudice. I (as most do) find Mexico a warm and inviting culture. But that's generally true of everywhere I've traveled. Of course, your humorous, open, generous & laissez faire approach, has everthing to do with the experience your having as well. Good on ya! Look forward to the continuing journey. PS: Its not to late to take the Doc's suggestion on pepto' - it does work prophylactically. Whats a little "black tongue" between obviously loving partners? TTFN, j
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #860
iowarider123
Wanderluster

Oddometer: 15
Guatemala rocks!

I wish you the best in your Guatemala stay. I've been there many times and the people in the small towns are very nice.
Watch the roads after it rains as they are old and can get slippery.
If you do go to Guatemala City, keep your guard up some (heavy traffic and petty thieves in the older/crowded part of the city).
Hotels in the small towns are cheaper than the touristy or larger towns.
Make sure you see Tikal, Lake Atitlan, Semuc, the highlands.
Drink some Gallo.. the oldest beer.
Safe travels!
Old 03-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #861
iowarider123
Wanderluster

Wicked Moctezuma's revenge

FYI: Most of the medium sized towns have pharmacies where they have Peptobismol (or equivalent pink stuff) and they will usually dish out oral antibiotics (ie Ciprofloxacin). If the diarrhea worsens (ie more than six runs to the bathroom per day or not being able to keep up with your hydration) or you have a fever, stay away from Pepto and get some antibiotics. Drink plenty of Gatorade and water to have good reserves in case you get sick again. I agree with the mosquito comment: Dengue/malaria are prevalent (primarily the low lands) and its two weeks or more of fevers and body aches.. so use your DEET.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #862
WildAnCrazymtl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,800
Gene & Neda

Clearly both of you are well educated, well writen and have a great outlook on life. We enjoy following your adventures and we are living vicariously through you at the moment. We hope to work up the nerve to try something similar to what you are doing... You are living life, not dreaming about it like we are.

Stay safe and keep the shiny side up.

We wish you the best!

John & Julie

Old 03-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #863
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowarider123 View Post
. Drink plenty of Gatorade and water to have good reserves in case you get sick again..

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Gatorade is the last thing you want. Gatorade is filled with sugar which your body doesn't want or need. It's marketing that makes people think it's good for you or that its even a sports drink. I avoid the stuff ALL the time. Drink water and electrolytes supplements instead without the sugar.

Go to the corner store or OXXO and pick up pedialyte.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #864
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Gatorade is the last thing you want. Gatorade is filled with sugar which your body doesn't want or need. It's marketing that makes people think it's good for you or that its even a sports drink. I avoid the stuff ALL the time. Drink water and electrolytes supplements instead without the sugar.

Go to the corner store or OXXO and pick up pedialyte.
It's ok if you dilute it. Usually a 1/3 Gatorade and 2/3 water mix is good. Out of the bottle it's obviously way too sweet and loaded with too much sugar so that it tastes good and people buy it. But, diluted down you still get the stuff you need without it being bad for you.

I tend to get the small powder packets and put about 1/2 in a 1 liter bottle.
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:34 AM   #865
Trane Francks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Just gotta say that I'm up to page 24 of this epic saga and it IS epic. I'd buy the book. No kidding.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #866
iowarider123
Wanderluster

Diluted Gatorade

DoworkSon:
Thank you for the clarification. I have backpacked, done many marathons and traveled the world for years.
Diluted Gatorade (ie DoworkSon suggestion) or alternating between Gatorate and lots of water has worked for me. When I have developed diarrhea, it has been a life saver. My renal function is fine using that approach.
My point was primarily to hydrate BEFORE you get sick or exhausted. I do agree with Shibby that plain Gatorade without water is not the best approach to hydration.
I did mention the brand because on my world travels it seems to be readily available. Pedyalite is essentially better, however; might be a little harder to find in the middle of nowhere.
I have also survived on beer alone at times..
I hope our two travelers the best.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #867
Trane Francks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Yep. A huge +1 to this advice. I'm a fan of water with a few shavings of Himalayan rock salt. Makes for a pretty complete mineral solution to help put things right.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #868
TSRT97
I am third

Oddometer: 154
You two really need to write a book when you are done! Your story along with your photography will sell it. I'll buy a copy.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #869
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,073
Neda and Gene,

THANKS.

We have been following you all winter.

We appreciate all that you have posted and wish you good roads. Even more...wish we were there.

Cathy & John

sugarhillctd on the
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #870
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 501
Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/79.html

The barrier reef just off the coast of the Belize is the main attraction for tourists. It provides a natural habitat for all sorts of coral and marine wildlife. Scuba and snorkeling are very popular, so on one of our vacation days, we rented a boat to take us underwater sightseeing.

As our boat anchored near the reef, it was cool watching the waves from the ocean abruptly stop seemingly in the middle of nowhere

Neda looks like a superheroine! AquaGirl!

AquaGirl chases after a Nurse Shark. Um, is that really a good idea?

Chasing after a stingray. Is there no animal dangerous enough for AquaGirl not to chase after?!?

Stingrays and a Nurse Shark have a little conference at the bottom of the seafloor regarding the AquaGirl problen...

Because I lack the superpowers to chase after sharks and stingrays, this is more my speed...

Our three-hour tour took us to three different locations around the reef, our favorite was Shark Ray Alley, where we saw all the sharks, stingrays and turtles. We also visited Hol Chan and the Coral Gardens, spending about an hour at each location. There was supposed to be another couple on our boat, but since they bailed, we had the whole tour to ourselves, so we stayed in the waters until we were (I was) tired.

Fish hanging out at a coral

Beautiful giant turtle!

Seeing these grand creatures up close made me a bit emotional, because it made me think back to a couple of months ago when we were at Todos Santos releasing newly-born baby turtles into the ocean. I imagined that these were the all-grown-up versions! It brought a tear to my goggles...

If it seems crowded down here, it's because...

... of this guy above us

Apparently this boat comes to the same place every morning to gather conches. This guy removes the meat and throws the shells back into the ocean. He has a deal with the snorkeling tours that every once in a while he'll throw some meat overboard and the marine wildlife go into a feeding frenzy for some yummy snail-snacks. They then get trained to come back to the same spot every single morning. This way the snorkel tours can guarantee that you'll see lots of fish, sharks, stingrays, turtles, etc.

I'm not sure I agree with this practice, but as a tourist, we certainly got a lot of great pictures. Oh, and he fed us some fresh conch meat as well - it was delicious! On second-thought, I whole-heartedly agree with this practice!

Chasing after my grown-up baby turtle! "Come back, I want a family portrait!"
You can see the floor lined with conch shells from the fishing boat above.

Neda thinks this is some kind of pufferfish. Has a very human-like face!

Giant killer turtle spies lunch in the distance

Skimming the sea floor

Giant turtle convention

Suckerfish attached to the turtles belly, feeding off the scraps the turtle leaves behind

This guy wrote his name on a stingray. I'm not sure that was very nice, but it looked kinda cool...

Diving around the reefs

Neda says this fish reminds her of Dory from Finding Nemo. I'm getting kinda hungry at this point...

Diving around the reefs at the Coral Garden

A lot of these fish are not shy at all, swimming everywhere and brushing up against us

Some fish are shy and hide out in the coral. I suspect these are the ones that taste the best...

Diving down to see more coral, the water was so clear even at that depth!

Hooligans! The lot of them!