Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #76
Scootard
Twist-n-Go

Oddometer: 234
Scooterchick is already following you and suggested I do the same. Lovin' the RR, great pics, good commentary, need more food pictures though........hahaha
Old 08-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #77
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 519
Taken from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/7.html

We rode out from the ferry into early morning rain coming down on Sydney, Nova Scotia. We've had such perfect weather for our ride so far, very un-RideDOT.com-like, so we were due for some precipitation! Not a lot of pictures from our ride, since we had to meet friends in Halifax, about 400 kms away.

Neda tries to make the guard smile at the Citadel. Unsuccessfully...

The weather clears up as we enter Halifax and we ride up Citadel Hill to check out Fort George, the latest and largest of many fortifications built to repel attacks from the Indians first and then the Americans later on during their Civil war and the War of 1812.

Tall Ship Silva is a permanent fixture touring around Halifax Harbour, a popular spot for weddings and events

We met our friends Khanh, Ed and Dirk in Halifax harbour, they had just completed a harrowing Iron Butt SaddleSore 1000 from Toronto through torrential rain and pea-soup fog in New Brunswick! It was nice hanging out with folks from home and we took the Alexander Keith brewery tour for some free beers at the end. Oh, and the show was nice as well, if not a bit cheesy...

Alexander Keith brewery. Our second beer tour this week!

The rest of the Toronto riding gang, Will, Mel and Irene pulled in later and we had a great dinner in the harbour, and then checked into a motel (BEDS! LUXURY!) for the evening. While it's great to be on the road and seeing new places and meeting new people all the time, it's nice to hang out with familiar faces again.

Fog creeps over the harbour at Peggy's Cove

The next morning, we all rode out to Peggy's Cove, a very picturesque community on the south shore of Nova Scotia, less than an hour outside of Halifax. It was very foggy, which added to the Maritimes atmosphere, but thankfully the thick blanket burned off while we were walking around the lighthouse and granite rocks at Peggy's Cove.

Arguably the most photographed lighthouse in the world

I'm trying to bump up the stats for "Most photographed lighthouse..."

Irene and Khanh taking in the atmosphere at Peggy's cove

Hangin' out with the hooligans - Dirk and Ed at Peggy's cove

Will looks out into the bay at Peggy's Cove.

We doubled back towards the northern tip of Nova Scotia in the afternoon. This would be our third time doing this route on the trip and co-incidentally we stopped in Antigonish for a third time to gas up. No McLobster this time though. Speaking of, we've been eating a lot of seafood this trip, I'm not normally a big lobster fan, but it tastes so fresh out here!

Sun sets on our bikes at our campsite outside Port Hawkesbury

We rode out to a campsite for the evening just outside Port Hawkesbury, yakking and laughing over dinner, while poking good-natured fun at each other until the sun set on our tents. We're rolling with our own motorcycle gang now!

lightcycle screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 07:21 AM
lightcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:23 AM   #78
drsogr
Lost again..

Oddometer: 46
Very nice....its always great to see new places and experience new things.....but not as great as doing those things with good friends! Have fun with your "Motorcycle Gang!"
Old 08-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #79
Scooterchick
And then what?

Oddometer: 266
Good Golly! What a life.........:-)

You ain't REALLY lived until you have experienced something or Someone greater than yourself......

Ride On!
"Ride It Like You Stole It!"
Scooterchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #80
CallMeBoog
Done

Oddometer: 5,523
very cool. glad you are enjoying our little corner of the country!

and yeah, the McLobster is pretty ill anywhere you go.

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:04 AM   #81
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 519
Taken from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/8.html

The Cabot Trail is the jewel of Atlantic Canada's tourism industry, especially if you're a motorcycle rider. It is considered by many to be a destination highway, like the Tail Of The Dragon in NC, Sea-to-Sky highway in BC, and the Stelvio Pass in Italy. We were camped the night before just outside of Cape Breton island and only had a couple of hundred kms to reach the beginning of the Cabot Trail in St Anns, after circumnavigating the south-east section of the island. The decision was to ride the coastal road of the Trail counter-clockwise so we would experience the scenery of the coast to our right.

Back to group riding!

We left most of the planning and ride leading to Khanh, on his custom-painted VFR800, as he led us into the heart of Cape Breton. It was a really big change in rhythm as we rode with 6 other riders and at times we split up into two groups of four to keep things manageable, but the light traffic on the island meant stayed together as a group for the most part. The dynamics of group riding also changed with this many riders, as we had to make changes for different paces, following styles, endurance and also personalities.

Fortunately, we had all ridden with each other before and it was a quick adjustment to find a group order and pace that we were all familiar with. Neda and I met these guys at a group ride last year and we found it very enjoyable and comfortable to hang out and ride with them, and we were really looking forward to spending 10 days in the Maritimes with them. Like dating, finding good riding partners is sometimes hard to do, but over the years we've managed to find some really cool people that we love touring and doing day rides with.

Damn you, Toronto riders. Brought the rain with you...

As predicted by the weather apps (who watches the Weather Network on TV anymore?), the rain started coming down in the afternoon after our lobster lunch in (where else?) Lobster Kettle restaurant in Louisbourg. We head directly to the Cabot Trail and it's too rainy and foggy to see any of the promised sights. Annoyingly, the Pinlock insert on the inside of my visor broke it's seal and water slowly filled up between the fog-resistant plastic and the visor like an aquarium. All I needed was a couple of goldfish swimming around in there to complete the effect! :)

Rain falls overnight on the Cabot Trail

We booked into a 4-bedroom cabin that we found in South Harbour, right in the middle of the Cabot Trail. It's nice to share a whole place like with a bunch of people, besides the social aspect, it's cheaper than what we've been paying for campsites the rest of the trip! With wet riding gear and rainsuits strewn all over the place, we waited out the rain for the night and prayed for better weather tomorrow.

Meat Cove - off the Cabot Trail

Our prayers were answered with a beautiful day on the western leg of the Cabot Trail. We were recommended to take a side-trip up to Meat Cove, with magnificent views off the cliff of the north coast. Meat Cove road is gravel for about the last 10 kms, but our street bike brethren did well!

View of Meat Cove

It's not a race, Neda...

Meat Cove

Posing on the Cabot Trail

Our motorcycle gang!

The twists and turns were a welcome change from the slabbing we had been doing the last few days. And set against the backdrop of the blue waters of the Gulf of St Lawrence and the clear skies above just made the riding day perfect! Scenic pullouts regularly line the Cabot Trail every few kms, offering picture-taking opportunities of the coastline, but we pass those up, gobbling up the curves with unbroken rhythm!

Irene takes the curves on the Cabot Trail

We ended the day at the Caribou and Munroe's Island Provincial Park, just outside the ferry that would carry us to Prince Edward Island tomorrow morning.

lightcycle screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 07:22 AM
lightcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #82
selkins
No hay banda!

Oddometer: 1,481
Great stuff! I'm loving your balance of great pics and narrative. Looking forward to keeping up with your adventures.

Mid-America -- Ozarks (Darkrider) -- Lake Superior Circle Tour -- NW US -- Labrador -- Big Bend (Darkrider) -- Yukon/Dempster Hwy -- WTX/NNM/SCO
selkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:06 AM   #83
Ben Carufel
Boxer Addict

Oddometer: 603
Awesome RR!
Ben Carufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #84
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,548
nice place to be homeless. :)

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #85
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,122
I just returned from a trip and kept thinking I want to do exactly what you're doing! Keep safe and enjoy!

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #86
dreemrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
What a trip!

Your RR has been wonderful and I have been following all along. I was in Nova Scotia and was within about 200 miles of the Cabot Trail but could not get my fellow riders to head that way as they were too tired!!

****Reminder note to self: Find some younger riding companions or ride by yourself!****

Anyway, I will continue to live vicariously through you until I can do it myself. Thanks!
dreemrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #87
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,424
wow ... fantastic.... pictures.... i love it all!
Old 08-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #88
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,084
Greenery and water, goodbye tucson.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #89
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,398
Still loving this RR!! Look forward to seeing where you go next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #90
RestlessRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Excellent photographs. Great reports. If you are in Eastern Washington state give me a holler.
Safe trails ahead.
RestlessRider is offline   Reply With Quote