Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #886
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcycle View Post
We eavesdropped on a few of them and recognized that subtle Canadian accent that separated them from Americans - also the way Canadians always end their sentences on a higher pitch, as if constantly asking a question.

I take offense to that... I think that's a "trendy" way of sounding cool by lower IQ people brought on by "reality" tv shows.

Sounds like people are whining all the time. I can't stand it.

I'll stop being a grump.

I'm surprised you said the roads of Guat were better. I didn't have much issue with Belize roads, but found Guat had some fresh sections, but the stuff just south of Tikal had pot holes that could swallow a bike whole.

We did the same section you did. If you're heading to Copan, you have a great road ahead of you. We did it at night but it was still fun. Further on some more spectacular roads when you get in to the mountains.

Have fun!
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #887
rlkefauver
kefakruiser

Oddometer: 94
Tacos de sesos

"The taco place around the corner from our B&B has become our second home. By now, I've tried almost everything on their menu. The report on the tacos de sesos (brains): it tasted exactly like it sounds. When cooked, it's a white meat. Very mushy, but you could still feel the texture of the brain folds. It was definitely an organ meat and not as salty as muscle. It wasn't bad, but not my favorite taco."

Okay, I just made it to post 701 and read your desciption of brain taco's and I think I threw up a little bit in my mouth...other than that, great RR, awesome pic's and you two are living the dream. Keep up the good work, hope you never run out of money and just keep riding and posting!
2007 Yamaha XT225 for everything else- Sold
rlkefauver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #888
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,568
Guys,

Love the Ride Report. Out of curiosity, what is your plan as the South American Winter season draws near? I know that Radioman flew home during the fall and winter season to avoid the cooler weather, and since you're all still in Guatemala, how much further south do you think you'll make it before the mountain passes become too cold?

I've also been reading your the Blog for your trip to Europe. Lots of good info there...Mrs. Stain has agreed to a two-up adventure somewhere between John o'Groats and Cape Town. I'm now doing some feverish reading to figure out where to go...Europe or Africa!

Love your pics and prose, and anxiously waiting for the next installment.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #889
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
I take offense to that... I think that's a "trendy" way of sounding cool by lower IQ people brought on by "reality" tv shows.

Sounds like people are whining all the time. I can't stand it.
It must be "reasonably new". When I moved to Japan in 1991, the only noticeable rising intonation in normal speech came with the telltale final interrogative "eh" at the end of far too many sentences.

(Here in Tokyo, the equivalent is "ne", with the same short 'e' sound. I felt right at home. )
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #890
WarLlama
belligerent cameloid

Oddometer: 16,847

The walls are closing in, get out!

Sorry, that one got the heebie jeebies going.

Great report, loving it, keep it up!
WarLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #891
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarLlama View Post

One of my strongest memories of Tikal is the aroma of the limestone walls inside the temples....this pic just brought a whiff of that back

As for the Canadian end-of-sentence- inflection.....gotta say I never noticed that, aside from the "eh", eh!?

Don't think it is an outcome of crappy reality shows.....and when studying linguistics/gender issues, it is recognized as more of a female trait than a male one when speaking.

As for the Canadian thing....that's how you spell Canada:

"C", eh..."N", eh...."D", eh.

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged screwed with this post 03-21-2013 at 02:31 PM
motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #892
Rockwell
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Do not miss a stay in San Pedro La Laguna, Guatemala (but I am sure you've already planned on going there)!

The route in at the eastern side of the lake may not be the easiest way, but it makes for a very interesting ride, and the view coming into the lake is awesome!

Also, when you get to El Salvador, you should visit Conception de Ataco (one of the best places we visited on our trip). It's such a great little town. If you'd like, PM me when you get near there, and a friend we met while we were there might be able to give you a place to stay.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #893
TSRT97
I am third

Oddometer: 173
Excellent RR! Keep us posted on your travels! I envy you both for making the "free time" to do this.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #894
dave6253
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,002
Thumb

Thanks for taking the time and effort to share your wonderful journey. I'm loving your humor and gorgeous photography.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #895
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
As for the Canadian end-of-sentence- inflection.....gotta say I never noticed that, aside from the "eh", eh!?

Don't think it is an outcome of crappy reality shows.....and when studying linguistics/gender issues, it is recognized as more of a female trait than a male one when speaking.

As for the Canadian thing....that's how you spell Canada:

"C", eh..."N", eh...."D", eh.
I find MOST 20 something females, teens, and sadly enough, THEIR MOTHERS all do that. Hell, we have a office admin lady who is 60 something and does it.

Grrrr..

I also don't think most CDN's say Eh. Eastern Canadians, yes. Same with 'Buddy!'. That seems to be isolated to oil workers, southern Saskatchewan people, and eastern Canadians. haha.

Both of which annoy me.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #896
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
"...eastern Canadians and oilworkers...": By jeez bye, dem's two side by each.

Where ya to next, Gene and Neda ?

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #897
Mototabby
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
I find MOST 20 something females, teens, and sadly enough, THEIR MOTHERS all do that. Hell, we have a office admin lady who is 60 something and does it.

Grrrr..

I also don't think most CDN's say Eh. Eastern Canadians, yes. Same with 'Buddy!'. That seems to be isolated to oil workers, southern Saskatchewan people, and eastern Canadians. haha.

Both of which annoy me.
Oh, I don't know about that. Several years ago I worked with an IT guy from Victoria, BC. He ended every sentence with "eh". I also learned about brownies, travelers, and getting pissed.
Mototabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #898
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 548
Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/81.html

We've got a couple of travel days ahead of us, as we are booked for more Spanish school in Quetzeltenango in the south of Guatemala next week. Since we're dropping into the country at the very north end, we've got some mileage to do, so not a lot of pictures off the bike.

We ride through many villages, some tiny, others a bit larger

It's a rainy ride through the northern department (states are called departments in Guatemala) of Peten. The first time we've ridden in rain for months. The land here is very flat but the hills start to turn into mountains, as we enter the central highlands of the southern region.

Vast tracts of farmland everywhere! Guatemala is so lush!

Weather is slightly cooler, so we didn't mind donning our rainsuits

Women carrying bowls of corn on their head. If they were carrying jars, the jars were always painted with stripes

Hilly terrain in the background

Our stop for the evening is in a town called Coban, in the department of Alta Verapaz. Instead of looking for accommodations right away, we ate a late lunch in a restaurant. When we came out to the bikes, Neda exclaimed, "Oh no! One of my dry bags must have fallen off!" Upon inspection, someone had cut the Rok-Straps holding the bag onto the sidecase and made off with a sleeping bag and pillow. Most of the stuff not in our hardcases are just clothing, sleeping bags and camping equipment. Nothing that we'd thought we'd be too bummed out about if they were stolen.

Until it was stolen... It's still a hassle having to replace it, and the Drybag and the Rok-Straps are not as easy to find around here. So we are kind of bummed. I'm thinking about getting a PacSafe to secure our drybags, but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle of locking and unlocking every night.

The thief hid between Neda's bike and a parked car next to it while he worked away at cutting the straps holding the drybag down. Since we parked on a quiet side-street, they took advantage of the fact that there was little traffic around the area. We are parking in the middle of crowded streets next time!

Some colonial buildings in downtown Coban

After finding a hotel, we walked through the markets in Coban and Neda told me she was half-hoping to find her sleeping bag for sale in one of the stalls!

Walking the wet streets of Coban

Our next riding day to Quetzaltenango was much dryer. Neda's GPS pointed to a 450 km round about way all the way south-east, through Guatemala City and then back west again. My GPS had a much shorter route, although it wasn't on a highway, was only 250 kms! Since we had good luck with my map on the way to Sayaxche, we decided to follow my GPS again.

Stuck in a religious parade in the streets of one of the villages we rode through

Neda's bike looks unbalanced without the right drybag

Not to spend too much time dwelling on the stolen drybag, since we've basically shrugged it off by now - there's a saying, "Don't bring anything that you can't afford to lose". However, there were two drybags on Neda's bike, one containing my sleeping bag and an old ratty pillow that Neda's been trying to get me throw out but I love it cause it's so comfortable. The other contains Neda's sleeping bag and a special orthopedic pillow that you can fill with water. This was given to us by a friend before we left. And of course, this was the one that was stolen...

The road is getting a bit gravelly... But the scenery rocks! I mean, there are a lot of rocks here...

The northern road through the mountains of the central highlands turns from broken asphalt to hard packed gravel, and then mud and loose stone. We have to make it to Quetzaltenango to meet our host family in the evening, and our estimated time of arrival is not looking very realistic given the terrain.

Steep drop on the left as we encounter wide traffic ahead

She'll be coming 'round the mountain when she comes!

Amazing views! We are glad we took this route instead of the highway, but it's taking a lot of time

"'Let's take the shortcut', he says.
'This'll save us some time', he says..."

Oh, and also mud. Next to sand, our favorite terrain...

Some really tiny villages

And then a bridge. Is that pavement at the other end?

Pavement!

We were going to be a couple of hours late, so at a restaurant in one of the villages we passed through, we borrowed a phone and called the school to let them know. We arrived in Quetzeltenango late in the evening, with the temperatures dropping to single digits. Shivering in the town square, we waited for our host family to arrive and take us to a warm home.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #899
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Further on some more spectacular roads when you get in to the mountains.
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
what is your plan as the South American Winter season draws near? [..] since you're all still in Guatemala, how much further south do you think you'll make it before the mountain passes become too cold?
Don't know, we don't really have a plan that far in advance. That's how we ended up in at the Arctic Ocean in Alaska in September... We haven't done much research as to the best time to travel to these places. When *is* the best time to visit the mountains in South America?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwell View Post
If you'd like, PM me when you get near there, and a friend we met while we were there might be able to give you a place to stay.
Thanks for the suggestion, Rocky! I hear you guys are heading out on the road again in June? Seeing how slow we're moving, you'll probably blow right past us. Keep in touch, would be great to meet up along the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Where ya to next, Gene and Neda ?
Spanish school for a little while longer. Neda is getting sick of being the translator, negotiator, terminator, etc
Old 03-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #900
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcycle View Post
Don't know, we don't really have a plan that far in advance. That's how we ended up in at the Arctic Ocean in Alaska in September... We haven't done much research as to the best time to travel to these places. When *is* the best time to visit the mountains in South America?

I'd suggest sending Radioman a PM and seeing what his feeling on the whole thing is. He's far more experienced than I could ever hope to be in that department. Suches, GA is as far as I've been...

In for the long haul though...
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote