Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #931
4Rider
Dedicated Lurker

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcycle View Post

The Tourance is a 90/10 tire, and the kind of riding that we're doing is 90/10, so I think its well suited... until we hit the 10% dirt. Then the Tourances suck eggs. Big time. In hard packed gravel, it's fine, but in sand or mud, they are terrible and inspire no confidence. We are thinking of switching to Heidenau K60s when our rears wear out (which is going to be a while because the Tourances get really good mileage). I've heard the Heidis are more 50/50 tires so we could get a bit more adventurous in the future.
Gene-

I ordered a K60 Heidi for the rear of my GS-A to replace the TKCs I've been running. We are starting to prep the bikes for Colorado in August and would use-up a TKC rear just getting there from here, so I'm questing for a longer wearing tire that still works off-pavement. I intend to take the GS-A with the K60 rear out into the dirt to see how well it works. Will do both dirt/gravel roads and then some more serious stuff including sand. One hard-core GS-A rider I talked to had just returned from Morocco where he ran the K60's, and he swears they out-perform the TKCs, especially in the sand. I'll let you know how it works out.

Mark
Old 04-03-2013, 05:42 AM   #932
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,774
Love the pictures, you leave me envious.

This picture could be a travel mag cover!

dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:44 AM   #933
Sansibar
RoadRunner

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
The Tourance is a 90/10 tire, and the kind of riding that we're doing is 90/10, so I think its well suited... until we hit the 10% dirt. Then the Tourances suck eggs. Big time. In hard packed gravel, it's fine, but in sand or mud, they are terrible and inspire no confidence. We are thinking of switching to Heidenau K60s when our rears wear out (which is going to be a while because the Tourances get really good mileage). I've heard the Heidis are more 50/50 tires so we could get a bit more adventurous in the future.
Hey Gene,

thank you. You just confirmed my thoughts - so I will go for the HEIDENAU K60 Scout, too. The "Heidis" are quite popular here, some even get 18.000 km+ out of them!

Also, thanks for the lens-data, I am thinking about a 40-150 for my Olympus PEN...

Cheers, have a good ride!

Marc
Sansibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #934
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
Tourances work very well in the dirt if you lower the tire pressure.
If you don't lower the pressure then they will not work so good.
If you refuse to lower your pressure then a tire like the K60 or Mitas E07 is a better option.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #935
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 574
Cool! We're on the main ADVRider splash page!

From our trek up the Dalton last September!
Old 04-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #936
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
That honor is well-deserved! Truly an iconic photograph that captures the essence of adventurous riding!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #937
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 1,001
Yes, very well deserved. I'll be surprised if more of your images don't show up there.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:31 AM   #938
brecchi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Hey guys,

Ive been enjoying following you guys through this RR since the beginning, as you know. Ive been reliving some of my own travels, as I pretty much followed the same path as you guys are on, taking my time in a similar way. I spent a lot of time in Xela learning Spanish and doing many of the same things - here is one of my favorite pics from the road to Fuentas Georginas:

I just got back from Nicaragua and I'll be heading to Colombia in 6 weeks - you guys will probably just be getting to Honduras by then though

-Ben
brecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #939
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Cool! We're on the main ADVRider splash page!

From our trek up the Dalton last September!
You certainly earned the right to be there. I've really enjoyed your RR.
CharlestonADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #940
pceire32
Irish

Oddometer: 724
Congrats on making the ADV splash page. You deserve it with your wonderful photos and great report.
pceire32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #941
travelintoNY
Globe Trekker

Oddometer: 81
Thumb This is..

a fabulous RR Neda and Gene! You guys are awesome and are living your dream. Stay safe out there and keep on riding. Maybe one day I'll run in to you somewhere cheers!

Tony

2007 Triumph Rocket III, 2012 BMW 1200 GSA Triple Black
travelintoNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #942
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 934
this is my dream, you guys rock!!

i just go to ask how do ya do it (financially) i know some riders get sponsor and all but geee

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #943
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttynu View Post
this is my dream, you guys rock!!

i just go to ask how do ya do it (financially) i know some riders get sponsor and all but geee
......"Quit our jobs, sold our home, gone riding..."
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #944
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 574
Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/85.html

After a week of Spanish classes in Xela, we get back on our motorcycles and explore Guatemala a bit more. Pananjachel is about an hour and a half outside of Xela, on a very entertaining twisty road up and through the mountains of the highlands.

Misty mountainside - temperatures got quite cold, dipping to single digits!

Passing by many fields covering the landscape of the Guatemalan Highlands

Cheers for the bling on this Chicken Bus!

Winner, Winner, Chicken (bus) Dinner!

We got a bit lost in Pana, looking for the hostel that the the folks in Xela recommended. It was quite a claustrophic adventure navigating the many tiny alleyways off the main Calle Santander, some of them small enough to only fit a Tuk Tuk or motorcycle - traffic has to wait at either end of the street until one vehicle has made it through!

Looking for our hostel

Uh oh, dead end. Believe or not, my 12GS did a 3-point turn to get out! No, actually, it was a 12-point turn...

Neda gets some helpful directions

So narrow!

Finally, we found our hostel and the parking lot is narrower than the streets!

The hostel employs a colourful security guard that yells out "Hola!" whenever anyone gets close to our bikes

Vendors selling clothing off Calle Santander, Panajachel's main street

Panajachel is mainly known for its street vendors and markets, and is a popular place to launch trips across Lake Atitlan to other locations, like San Pedro. We are only here for four days, so we just hang around town, walking around the stalls and sampling some of the delicious food.

Hanging out with Ling, the owner of Chinitas

While we were in Panajachel, Guatemala, we ate dinner at a fantastic Malaysian restaurant. The owner came out to greet us and was surprised and delighted to find out I was Malaysian as well. Free dessert for the Malaysian Customer of the Day -- cause there are so many that come in every single day... :)

Surrounded by volcanoes, Lake Atitlan is the deepest lake in Central America

The people walking around here are a curious mix of indigenous Maya vendors, typical gringo tourists and hippie residents that migrated here in the 60s. They left in droves after war broke out, but repopulated again in the mid-90s. In Xela, we talked with our teachers and they remembered the civil war vividly, about how families were torn apart, sons of the villages drafted by the military to kill their own townspeople or be killed themselves. It was such a sad history that is still remembered by anyone over the age of 30.

Tuk Tuks drafting through the streets of Panajachel

Hey, it's the same Chicken Bus we saw on the road to Pana!

Lorenzo's Land

Trying to find a nice wrap to go with his shoes

Getting my finger chewed on by a cute puppy

Neda does some chain maintenance with a little help from Ashley Heins---

Our hostel has a kitchen, so Neda whipped us up a great salad and we ate with our bikes
Old 04-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #945
Blader54
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
I've said it before but I'll say it again: I'm just in awe of the laid-back joy you're having with this trip!! You're living! I'll be toasting to you both at dinner tonight!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote