User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2013, 04:05 AM   #1276
Maverick75
Rat

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Croikey dick, the rear brake's done near knackered! I give the old gal a bit of a kick and whadayaknow, Bob's yer uncle and everything's a box of budgies! I'm feeling pretty chuffed and Neda piped up with an ole, "Good on ya, mate!" so hooray to Guatemala City! We spent a few moments dodging lorries on the roadway, had to tella few to "NAFF OFF" but we got to Antigua all home'n hosed and just in time for tea! Phew, I could really go for a vegemite sarnie, right about now!
I think you may have hit the 'Aussie' button on that translate site

Still following, still loving it. Cheers guys.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #1277
rahza
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Thumb Greeting from Malaysia. Hello Gene and Neda

Hello guys. I must say i enjoy your commentary of the ride. The picture is superb with its model. Background nicely picked. i must say I loved the mountains pic. this RR is a bit different. scenery + culture with human interaction. very nice. it is like a mini national geographic write up. i am sure you a a professional photographer.
i have a question. Do you do your write up everyday or you just write and save + putting the pic. you take the photos using slr or point n shoot or gopro camera.
how long do you think to cover the world?
thanks for the story and photos. keep it coming. cheers

azhar
rahza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #1278
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahza View Post
Do you do your write up everyday or you just write and save + putting the pic. you take the photos using slr or point n shoot or gopro camera. how long do you think to cover the world?
Hi Azhar, generally I do a writeup whenever we have something interesting to document. We use a combination of DSLR, Point+Pray, I mean Shoot, and our iPhone cameras. We've tried GoPros on our New Zealand trip, spent way too much time fiddling around with them and I don't have the patience of going through footage and editing video.

As for covering the world, we're finding out that it's a lot larger once you actually stop to take a look around, which is a more interesting way to travel for us. We're moving a lot slower than we thought we would! So instead of a Round-The-World trek, I think we're just going to wander around according to how we feel instead of cover ground for the sake of ticking off countries and kilometers.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #1279
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcycle View Post
I: think we're just going to wander around according to how we feel instead of cover ground for the sake of ticking off countries and kilometers.
+1...I've found this approach is much more rewarding.
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #1280
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,716
Quote:
I think we're just going to wander around according to how we feel instead of cover ground for the sake of ticking off countries and kilometers.
THIS ^^^ is why I'm so completely jealous of you both!!!!

GodSpeed kids!!!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:50 AM   #1281
HairBear
I'm a Grandpa

Oddometer: 753
Your thread title doesn't actualy imply this is a RTW trip, but The beginning was so long ago...I don't remember. Did this start out to be a RTW? Do you remember!!

Been following, am following, will continue to follow
Old 08-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #1282
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/102.html

Living on the road for an extended period brings up a unique set of issues, mainly around the issue of residency and citizenship. By now we've figured out the monthly duties like paying credit card bills, but annual chores like filing taxes and renewing licenses and passports present new challenges as we've got to figure out how to do all this while being out of Canada.

Maya and I made a friend outside the Canadian Embassy

Neda's passport was due to expire, so when we picked up Andi's bike In Guatemala City, we also paid a visit to the Canadian Embassy to renew her documents. During our time in Antigua, we would regularly travel back and forth on the scenic and twisty road to the capital city. And all of this before 2PM, as we try to complete all our errands before the daily afternoon tropical rain showers.

Well traveled (and divided) road between Antigua and Guatemala City! W00T!

We've been feeling burnt out from our travels for quite some time now. The month-long Internet-isolation in Cuba exacerbated our weariness and half-way through our stay in Antigua, we decided to take a short vacation from our travels to visit family and friends back in Toronto. Our spur-of-the-moment decision complicates things a bit - Neda's passport is in transit somewhere between Ottawa and Guatemala, so we've got to wait for it to be processed before we can empty our Air Miles piggybank for the flight back.

To add to it, our month-long rental came to a close and we are once again semi-nomadic.

Breakfast at our temporary B&B accommodations

Guatemala belongs to the CA4 (Central America-4) Border Control Agreement, a recent act which allows free travel for visitors between Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras and Costa Rica on the same Tourist Permit without having to apply or renew at each border. This added a bit of a complication because we wanted to visit Toronto right near the expiry period of our current permit. Which meant we had to renew our CA4 permit *AND* our vehicle permit before we left Guatemala. Otherwise our expired permit prohibited us from entering the CA-4 zone for 90 days.

However Neda's passport still had not arrived from Ottawa... :(

Every step required time - 21 days for the passport, 4 days for the tourist permit renewal, and a separate trip for the vehicle permit. And we had already booked our plane tickets! Uh oh. Because of our lack of planning, if everything went according to the official timeline, we would not get our tourist and vehicle permits renewed until after our flight departure date, which meant delaying our plane ticket ($$$), or we could bypass the the 4-day Tourist Permit processing by riding to the Guatemala/Mexico border, getting a Mexican TVIP again (more $$$), spending a night at the border, canceling the TVIP and then re-entering Guatemala.

My head hurt thinking about the logistics of that one. So in the meantime, we went for a ride with Julio, Luisa and Andi. No passport or tourist permits required for this!

Andi and Maya on the left, Julio and Luisa on the right

Group ride through some of the small towns around Antigua

Morning fog hugging the hills, lush scenery all around us

The early morning weather felt a bit cold and iffy, but we decided to chance it and braved the damp roads and ominous clouds overhead. We were still without riding boots, which made me a bit nervous! Julio took us through some very scenic routes through the hills surrounding Antigua, capped off with an brunch with a great view of the volcanoes and rolling hills around the area. We scurried back home to escape the looming afternoon rains.

Brunch and a view

Trying to beat the rain home

Twisty mountain roads on the way back

Things fell into place for us in the end. Ottawa sent Neda's passport back earlier and we had plenty of time to make another trip to GC to extend our tourist visas and vehicle permits. We were allowed in the CA-4 zone till November! Wow! When we asked Julio for some storage facilities in the area, he graciously offered his own garage for the time we were away. We are constantly blown away by the kindness of people we are meeting along the way.

Julio and Luisa took us out for our farewell dinner in Antigua. So nice!

And we're off on summer vacation!
Old 08-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #1283
bkshovel
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
I think we're just going to wander around according to how we feel instead of cover ground for the sake of ticking off countries and kilometers.[/QUOTE]

I love it!! Making miles just to make miles isn't fun for me. you can do 100 Ironbutt's and never see a thing. Take your time to experience life in the places you visit and take us along with you with your pictures and reports. We are all loving it!!! I check ever day to see if you've made a new post.
IBA #48310
bkshovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:13 AM   #1284
Rich1
n00b

Oddometer: 1
This whole report (lifestyle) rock's my world! You guy's are the very definition of having a 'life'.

Man, how jealous are we, or more to the point, how courageous are you guys for doing this.
Rich1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:31 AM   #1285
flyorride
Amputee rider

Oddometer: 43
I need treatment

I've been off the site for a couple of years recovering from an injury. Discovered your report while visiting the bathroom at 1 am. Just now finished reading and drooling through it. I need to call an ambulance! My legs are asleep and I think I have what has become a permanent imprint of the toilet seat on my bum. Wow!!! Great job you two. Greetings and well wishes from the scenic State of Arkansas.

"If I could get wings on this bastard I'd be in heaven" me2
flyorride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:15 AM   #1286
TSRT97
I am third

Oddometer: 162
Thanks again for sharing your adventure with us! It's been an amazing read!
Old 08-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #1287
PurpleTiger
Trapist Beer Man

Oddometer: 4
Once again........WOW!!!!!!!!!
PurpleTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #1288
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,487
Quote:

Living on the road for an extended period brings up a unique set of issues, mainly around the issue of residency and citizenship. By now we've figured out the monthly duties like paying credit card bills, but annual chores like filing taxes and renewing licenses and passports present new challenges as we've got to figure out how to do all this while being out of Canada.

Maya and I made a friend outside the Canadian Embassy

.... no wunda the tank was empty

Great catchup again guys, hope Toronto is treating you well.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:38 AM   #1289
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Here's something a bit different.

Neda had taken a whole bunch of videos on her iPhone, and I wanted to learn how to do some video-editing, so here's a trailer for our next couple of blog posts.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:06 AM   #1290
Phrog
Terra Australis

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
....... I wanted to learn how to do some video-editing, so here's a trailer for our next couple of blog posts.

You two have many talents, this seems to be another one.
Well done.

Poverty is the mother of invention.
Phrog is offline   Reply With Quote