Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 08:24 AM   #1411
mikecbrxx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Gene and Neda's plan is to get to Bolivia, rob banks and the payrolls from the tin mines
Damn....thats what I was going to do
mikecbrxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:11 PM   #1412
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 574
Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/117.html

Costa Rica is expensive!

We left Granada and headed south to the border, stopping overnight in Liberia where we stayed at an AirBnB. The owner was quite knowledgeable about all things Costa Rican and told us that the country has successfully marketed itself to foreigners as a safe tourist destination; lots of expats bringing retirement money into the country, as well as skilled professionals moving to CR, and with them came the US chains chasing this new demographic. Unfortunately, for most of the locals, their wages stayed the same and they are suffering the high cost of living.

Windmill Alley on the Pan American

Tamarindo is a great beach-side town on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica. Beautiful sandy beaches and lots of tourists flocking to the surf lessons and snorkel tours. We stayed a couple of days here just to relax a bit and soak up the sun. It's still raining a little bit in the afternoons, and we're finding that it's difficult to predict when the precipitation will come as we travel to different regions and the Central American winter season starts to taper off.

Waves make fantastic shapes on the sand at Tamarindo

Watching the world go by

Neda said we needed more beefcake shots in the blog. The best I could manage was a bit of cheesecake...

"...enjoys long walks on the beach as well as blasting through muddy single-trail on a dirtbike..."

And here's the beefcake: Fabio emerges out of the forest luring women onto his stable of horses.

Tamarindo is a popular place for tourists

Dog waits patiently for his master to return from surfing

"Sale" in Costa Rican Spanish means mark it up 100% and then discount it 50%...

Surf lessons done for the day

Paddleboarding into the sunset

Sunset on the Pacific Ocean

We say goodbye to the beach and we're heading back to the interior of Costa Rica to explore a bit more.

Rainy ride!
Old 11-01-2013, 02:49 AM   #1413
johnnybgood8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Greetings! Really like your RR keep it comming
Greetings from Serbia.
johnnybgood8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:15 AM   #1414
nameless
100% recyclable

Oddometer: 127
So that we know that it's not always sunny when you guys ride :) nice music

Keep safe!

'13 Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré
Keep Calm
and
Carry On
nameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #1415
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
I'm so miffed I didn't get all the way to Panama and back. (or cross over to S.A). Simply not enough enough time for me.

Thanks for letting me know what I missed out on! Both sad and excited about the updates...
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #1416
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
Question about your "shortcut" leaving Panajachel. Did you happen to go through a little village called Chicacao?
Nope, we took Route 1 directly heading east from Panajachel. I wouldn't call it gnarley, but it had some entertaining switchbacks and elevation changes. And the pavement was so-so (when there was pavement). Here's our route:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawley View Post
I ask because it seems like you left the sort of life you had been living behind and are creating a whole new way of being in the World.
It may not be entirely new, but it's new to us! I can't speak for anyone else, but before the trip we had a lot of material possessions that while it was nice having, I found it became a bit of a hassle to upkeep. The proverbial "you don't own stuff, stuff owns you", etc. It might have been a knee-jerk reaction to get rid of everything and focus on experiences instead of possessions, and maybe there's a balance between the two that we'll eventually settle on, but right now it's such a liberating feeling not having to worry about payments, licensing, inspection, repairs, cleaning, upgrading, storage, theft/security, insurance, etc.

It used to take me forever to fall asleep at night. My mind would be racing, preoccupied with planning all the things I needed to take care of the next day, the next week, the next month, etc. For the last year and a half, I only think about the things I've seen during the day. And I fall asleep immediately.

But that may be because I'm so tired from constantly picking that R1200GS up off of me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawley View Post
an update on how your "financial plan" is panning out, what you've learned and what adjustments you have/will made/make would be of interest (I imagine) to many thread followers.
There really isn't a plan for anything. What we're finding out is that every place we go to has its own costs so it's not possible to plan for things we don't know first-hand yet. We can do a bit of research to minimize the expenses: try to find cheap hostels, eat and shop where the locals do (which we like to do anyway because it's more enriching that way).

Having transportation is a bonus to finding cheap accommodations. While we were in Costa Rica, we found a super cheap hotel in a smaller town, and we'd just ride to the attractions we wanted to see instead of staying close-by and paying a premium. Speaking the language also helps, Neda is constantly asking locals for recommendations for places to eat and sleep. It costs money to advertise on TripAdvisor, hotels.com, etc. So if only the locals know about a place, then chances are it's probably going to be a lot cheaper.

We're finding that the slower we go, the less expensive our travel becomes (on a per day basis). If we stay longer in a place, we're able to secure cheaper accommodations, buy food in bulk that lasts us a few days instead of meals on the go, and not spend as much on gas that particular day.

Central America has been very kind to our budget, but I've heard South America gets a bit more expensive as you travel south. But in that case, we'll just do what we did in North America - camp more, grocery-shop more.

We're just taking each day as it comes.

lightcycle screwed with this post 11-02-2013 at 08:11 AM
lightcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #1417
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcycle View Post
We're just taking each day as it comes.
That's the secret to a happy life, mate.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #1418
junkyardroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trane Francks View Post
That's the secret to a happy life, mate.
Indeed. Words to live by. As my turn gets closer, I have less and less to be rid of, and it truly feels good.
junkyardroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #1419
MKJ
Married w/ Children

Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyDS View Post
Nothing wrong with that, we are. So are people from Mexico, the USA and Greenland. Geography seems to be a lost science.

Oh, and that's just North America - don't forget South America.

The problem is those people from that small part of the American continent that calls itself the United States of America, don't have a distinct collective name for themselves.

Quoting Wikipedia:

Somehow I'm personally attached to "Colonican" and I have many Colonican friends. But that's just me.
Many Down Under refer to us as Yanks or Seppos (septic tank rhymes with yank). Just not the classy folks on this site, unless they know you well.
MKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #1420
oPAULo
jack of all terrain

Oddometer: 3,952
Thank you so much for sharing your journey Gene and Neda!!
Have anticipated and enjoyed every post. Well done.

This is breathtakingly beautiful!! And the beach ain't bad either...
MORE!!
Quote:
oPAULo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #1421
Balanda
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKJ View Post
Many Down Under refer to us as Yanks or Seppos (septic tank rhymes with yank). Just not the classy folks on this site, unless they know you well.
Thems that don't the good folk of the US often perceive them by the media through the prism of Govt, mainly foreign policy. Those that do get to know the people have nothing but warm regard for the citizens of the US, seeing them as honest, open, unpretentious people. God bless America.
Balanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #1422
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,812
Quote:
I can't speak for anyone else, but before the trip we had a lot of material possessions that while it was nice having, I found it became a bit of a hassle to upkeep. The proverbial "you don't own stuff, stuff owns you", etc. It might have been a knee-jerk reaction to get rid of everything and focus on experiences instead of possessions, and maybe there's a balance between the two that we'll eventually settle on, but right now it's such a liberating feeling not having to worry about payments, licensing, inspection, repairs, cleaning, upgrading, storage, theft/security, insurance, etc.

It used to take me forever to fall asleep at night. My mind would be racing, preoccupied with planning all the things I needed to take care of the next day, the next week, the next month, etc. For the last year and a half, I only think about the things I've seen during the day. And I fall asleep immediately.

This is why I stay glued to this thread. (this, and your outstanding travel companion! )

Seriously, I believe this attitue you have is one of the cornerstones to having a simple, happy life. Well done Sir, you've earned it!!
I've been working on inplementing it into my own life as well...but alas, this is much easier said than done!!

GodSpeed Kids!!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #1423
mehawley
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thanks Gene (and Neda!). I don't have any trouble falling asleep, but I feel "lighter" with less stuff.

I appreciate your reply; thank you.

Be Safe and Well and Enjoy!

2010 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold) :: 2008 Triumph Speed Triple (sold) :: 2008 Suzuki VStrom 650 (sold)
mehawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #1424
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46 View Post
I've been working on inplementing it into my own life as well...but alas, this is much easier said than done!!
I wouldn't beat myself up too much over it.

Living like a nomad lends itself well to an ascetic lifestyle. The tricky part is when you're settled down, and social and recreational pursuits start to require equipment and gear. I'm very cognizant that our minimalism may be an extreme pendulum swing away from the excess of our past life.

If we ever put down roots, would I deny myself a snowboard, a dirtbike and a guitar? If I can afford it, probably not...
Old 11-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #1425
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Dearest Gene and Neda,

If you enjoyed Guatemala, I imagine Colombia won't disappoint. Rio Sereno is a nice border crossing from CR to Panama.

While in Costa Rica, I certainly enjoyed staying in a cabina at Rancho Diandrew just north of Uvita. Waterfall massages are great therapy for ADVriders. Kind of off the beaten track, but you might like it.

Hope to see you down the road. Really enjoying your wit and ride reporting chops. Keep up the good work amigos.

Kindest regards,
John Downs