User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #16
Loutre OP
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,462
Day 8 (13/8/12): ~440km – Total 1600km

Oh yeah baby, today Czech Republic! But before I had to check out of that camping place. They asked me if I had a nice stay and I started complaining. I said that it wasn't acceptable to pay for water etc and that I took my boxer to “shower”. At the end of the argue they offered me the price that I'd pay for my bike, and even a shower on top of that! Nice 7€ more in my pocket. Let's see if I could buy myself a Schnitzel for that later in Austria.

After taking my shower I took some country roads down to Czech Republic. Once the border crossed I took out my phone to calculate if gas was cheaper here or in germany. Oh nice 15cts cheaper! I filled up my tank and my extra fuel can and headed towards Prague. The landscapes were really nice. Nature everywhere. I even saw 2 dears just “hanging around” next to the road. I never saw one so close at day time. Seeing the constructions you knew that you crossed a frontier and that this country was 20 years back in time. Prague was the exception.

It was a nice city but man so many tourists! Impossible to walk in a normal tempo. Always somebody in your way. I knew that I wouldn't spent much time here! I headed back to the main place where I parked my bike to put some more stuff in my boxes because the heat was killing me. A man approached and asked me if that was my bike... I love these rhetoric questions... Anyway he offered me to take a picture from me and my bike. I saw next to him a child and at first I thought... oh dear I'm sure as soon as I give them my camera the kid will kick me in the nuts and they'll run away. But than I remembered Glenn Clark saying: “If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies, jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears”. So I took my fears off and gave them my camera. Everything was fine and I proposed to do the same for him. They told me that they came from England and that he and his son were on the road doing and Europe trip. I'm sure we had a lot of stories to exchange but he told me that they had to go because it was nearly 12 and at each full hour the cities clock will do a special thing. I followed them but lost them soon enough in the dense crowed. But thanks to his advice I saw the clock doing it's nice thingy and was able to check that on my “to see in Prague list”.

Not much more to say there... I spent 3 hours in that city and saw what every tourist needed to see. Since I wanted to escape the crowd I decided to see what kind of beer the Czechs are drinking. Ah first problem... the money... Man did we Europeans become lazy with our euro, thinking that every European country needs to accept it. Anyway at some point I found a nice “Pirate Bar” that would accept my credit card. Really nice ambiance!

After that I did some more sight seeing and got back on my bike, I didn't want to spend the night in that country. Nothing against you Czechs but I prefer being able to pay someone if I need a service and I really didn't want to get some spare Czech cash because I don't think that I'll come back soon.

I programmed my GPS to get me to Vienna. Since it was getting dark I planned of staying somewhere between the Austrian border and Vienna. Before crossing the border I saw one last nice thing in CR. A lake of a great size where the fishes were jumping out of excitement.

What I'll take with me from that country is that it's nature is mostly untouched and that people are very very friendly even with strangers that don't speak their language. Ok fair enough I have to say that a lot of people there speak german so that I didn't really really had a problem, but as soon as you reach the countrysides these people are rare to find. That was really nice and funny to be again in that situation where you don't speak the language of the guy who is talking to you but you can make a whole conversation just by doing some signs, drawings or just with smiles. Since I speak 3 languages fluently I was really excited being exposed to that situation again.
Oh and another thing that I'll take home with me from that country: MAN are these people nice to bikers. I mean you are behind someone and they'll literally drive their own car into the side way where are bumps, grass, gravel and other unpaved stuff! And on the other side they'll do the same. At one point you were able to put another car between both cars. Once there was a traffic jam and they kinda “forced” me to overtake them. I needed to say thanks with my right foot to one lane and with the left arm to the ones coming infront of me. That had to be a funny looking scene.

Anyway, back to our horses. I crossed the Austrian border and found a nice place to set camp. It was only 50kms away from Vienna so I'd be able to be there before lunch, having a nice Schnitzel...

After building up my camp, I remembered having some sausages and vegetables left from the day before.... oh and there is a wood right next to me... you know what that means... a bonfire BBQ!

Jummy Jummy i've got love in my tummy!

Pics of the day:

And another country done on my Europe list :o)

Me in Prague, Thanks again mate for taking that pic!

Really nice that clock, apparentrly it's one of the oldest or the oldest amstronomic clock the work.

Great bar with great beer, exactly what I needed!

The great lake... or just a lame excuse to take some F800GS pics :o)

Austrian border

Is there a better place to be?

Jummy Jummy Jummy!!!
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #17
Loutre OP
Cosmopolitan Adv

Day 9 (14/8/12): ~500km – 2160Total km

Ah Day 9, I think this one of the best days of my whole trip. Starting with a fun fact. The very first village I rode through was named “Bierbaum” or Beertree. That gave me some motivation!

I arrived in Vienna at about 10am and decided to spent, like in Prague, 3hours in it, seeing the essential touristic sights and then hitting the road again. It is one beautiful city and now I understand why the Europeans fought so hard to protect it from the Turkish people. They know how to make coffee (thanks to the turkish people) and they know how to make some badass schnitzel! I'd marry that city.
Anyway I did the main touristic spots but it wasn't like Prague. It wasn't as crowded as in the Czech Capital. I liked walking around, even if I was very lost, and they had some great buildings. But I know that that's not the kind of things you want to read. You want to read about the Schnitzels!

Man it was great, having a nice Schnitzel with a cold beer. I think I could live with just these two things... and of course motorcycles :o). But my deception was that it wasn't that big... Last time I went to Austria with my Dad I ate a half meter schnitzel... I'd like to find that very spot again and eat a whole meter. But it's not about quantity... (oh okay a bit...).

The next step after Vienna was Linz. Why that city? Because of Ural! I don't know if you have seen the video from Moto Journal going to the elef', but they take a bike from the Ural factory Austria. The guy seemed so nice in the video – I simply needed to go there!

The place was hard to find but it was worth it. Harry and his wife Birgit Krasschnitzer (litt. Bluntly-carver :o) were so nice! They immediately asked why I came with the wrong bike to their shop. Ah these Austrians, always funny blokes.

They asked me where I came from, as I told them about my trip they offered me some coffee and wanted to hear more about it. I told them how I went to Prague and Vienna and just stayed like 3hours. They asked me why so short. “I just wanted to know what these city are looking like and that's it, I prefer spending more time on the bike, seeing landscapes”. They burst into a bard laugh. I told them that I saw the video on youtube and that I needed to come here and show them that not all french people are crazy... Ok I think that we need a 3rd guy going over there to convince them.
He eventually showed me around in their “factory” and I felt more and more at home. One thing is sure, I'll be back!

After talking about 2hours, I needed a new goal. For the first time on my trip I was planless. It was a great feeling but I still needed a place to head to. Harry was so nice and helped me out. He asked me where I would like to go... I looked at the map that they had on the wall and said “oh well Italy isn't that far away, let's see how it is looking like”. They laughed again. His wife turned to me and gave me her card “when you are there, write us a mail and tell us how it is looking like”. I think I made some new friends. They even gave me an ural sticker for my alu panniers. Anyway, Harry, his wife and I studied some maps and a picture began to draw itself.
Before leaving them I took a last picture of them, bought an ural cup (made out of steal!) and headed towards the unknown... (spooky).

As I was riding and riding and riding again, searching for a place to put my tent down, I heard the sound of my bike becoming louder and louder. I thought man is that cool! I don't know whats happening but this bike is becoming more and more awesome... Than I looked into my mirrors... oh damn it's just another f800gs. On second sight I saw how awesome it looked like. It was fully farkled: alu panniers, dieserto-thingy-windshild-stuff, extra lights, and some nice highway pegs. He then overtook me and made a sign meaning I should to stop.

His name was Christoph and he went all around Europe on his bike. He asked me where I came from and where I was heading to (because I looked like someone who was kinda lost). I said from France and no clue! “Perfect!”. He told me about a festival that would take place that night 40km from here between the mountains next to a lake. It's an annual thing and they light up the mountains and the lake. He told me that there would be cold beer, meat from grill and some riders from all over the world.
  • “Are you interested?”
  • “Are you kidding me? Of course I am, you already hooked my in when you told me about that beer!”
He put back on his helmet and told me to follow him, that he had to pick up his daughter before heading there. We did some stops where he told me about the sights that we crossed, about the mountains and about fun facts about this region. As we approached to the actual side he showed me around to show me some spots where I could spend the night or plant my tent. He was really really nice with me and I thank destiny for that random meeting.

Anyway we got his daughter and headed to the festival. He offered me the entrance and than he offered me a cold beer. I really can't thank him enough. The festival ended with a nice firework on the lake. A perfect evening. We spent hours talking about road trips, adventures we had lived etc. He went all over the world riding and he's even the navigator for some road trip 'travel agency'. He told me that once someone complained that “he was irresponsible for letting people drive for 1000kms a day”, his answer: “If I want to I even ride 2000!”. The next weekend he rode to Istanbul for a coffee. That's the spirit!

Before leaving I asked him if he was an ADVrider. He told me no, so I told him about our little community and I think, no I hope he'll look around and tell us some stories, even if he prefers to “tell them to people he's meeting – oldschool”. As I asked him how I could repay him he told me to do one thing: tell people about that festival and to keep on the spirit. The best way to get information out there is to ride and tell.

He asked me where I planned to sleep and I told him about my wildcamping. With a big smile he told me that he knew a nice spot right next to this festival, a nice forest where I could plant my tent. I drove me there and we said goodbye. I'm sure we'll meet again. And maybe that festival will become an annual thing for me.
Oh and another fun fact: This f800gs he was riding... it's his 3rd one

I decided to cross the forest and see what's behind it. A nice playground for children. Ok that will do it for me!

Pics of the day:

Here is the Ural video I was talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NgQgkPwojM

Beertree

Nice art in vienna

Schni Schna Schnitzel!!

They make some great stuff Ural, I think BMW could really learn from these guys!

Harry and Birgit

Inside the Ural factory

Nice farkled bike

Everybody this is Christoph - thanks again!

You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:

Loutre screwed with this post 08-22-2012 at 01:07 PM
Old 08-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #18
lemovice
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
welcome;I live near of Limoges
lemovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #19
Loutre OP
Cosmopolitan Adv

Day 10 (15/8/12): ~700km – 2860Total km

Ah what a weak up! Getting out of my tent and there it is, I'm surrounded by the alps. I even think I had some sparkles in my eyes because when I shouted out “That's better than TV” a woman who was walking her dogs stared at me with a big smile. I turned to her and told her that she was very lucky to live here and again that it was better than TV. She asked me where I came from and I told her my story and about last night and how I ended up in a playground in front of her house. We had a nice chat and than one of her dogs became nervous and began to jump. He wasn't so exited about our chat and obviously wanted to continue his walkout.
She asked me if I had a bit of time and if I wanted to wait for her come back. Of course I said and she told me that she's going to make me a nice coup of coffee.

Ah great stuff! I just finished tiding up the place and she called me to come over. Big surprise, not only the coffee was ready but she made me a real breakfast! How I love Austria – nothing ever bad happens here... Well at first I only wanted to stay at hers for half an hour because I had no plan in sight and I didn't want to lose precious riding time but at the end I spent one and an half hour there. She was a sports teacher who trains athletes for the olympics and in her spare time (one week per year), she's riding her bicycle and going from Austria to another country trough the alps. She hasn't got much free time because she's working with her husband on that big 'alpine pasture' with a couple of sheep, dogs and even a donkey. We had a great chat about trips and how great it is to meet people on the road and not knowing where you're going to be the next day. She talked about doing a great trip next year because she'll be celebrating a 'round birthday' (ah women... never want to give their age) and she'll be able to spend more than a week outside. She wants to go to Netherlands and or to France. I told her to stop by since Lille is like a hundred kilometers away from Amsterdam. I really hope she'll come so that I can repay her that nice breakfast!

When I finally decided to hit the road she gave me some great tips about “must see” sight seeings. I decided to check these sight seeings out since Obertraun seems to be a known city in Austria. Then my aim was Italy though the Alps. I really can't retrace my path on a map because I got lost several times. The thing I really really dislike about TomTom Rider is that he doesn't recognize the “passes” so that it's impossible for you to say “hey I want to take this one and that one to go through the alps”. I know I went trough Lienz, Sillian and then to Italy. As soon as I got into Italy it started to rain... I was sure it was some kind of sign “get out of here it's gonna blow”. But I promised the Ural dealer to go and see what it does look like so I had no choice but going into the country and “explore it”. Ok that exploration went on for 30kms. Than I decided that Italy didn't want me to explore it and I headed back to Austria. I think that was the very first sign that Italy is a bad rider country. More on that later.

Anyway I decided to go back to Italy tomorrow and see how it'll look like than... Luckily I saw the Dolomites from where I came from and that got me my smile back on my face.

ANYWAY, I did some twisty roads and at some point it was getting dark. I was searching for a place to crash down for the night when I suddenly saw “der Staller Sattel” in 45km. That name reminded me something of. Oh yeah sure it was the pass Christoph told me about. It was open every 30min for a ride because the road is too small to fit 2 motorcycles. Wow I simply needed to do that one! I changed my plans and thought one more couldn't hurt, could it? My lucky day, it was just open on my side and I didn't have to wait for another 30minutes. The pass was great and ever better because I was alone in the dark. Man how about putting some Aux lights on my GS? I'll think about that! The view was amazing. I'm sorry for the bad quality pics that are about to come up, but I still don't know how to fix my camera right.

Once the pass crossed I was lost. I mean really really lost this time. It was dark and I came out at a spot where I saw not one soul. Not even a farm or something. I decided to head on until I'd find a hotel or something to use their lights to see where I'd be on my map.
At one point I found that rare oasis and I lay myself on the ground with my map. I had to look really lost because a couple asked me if I needed some help I looked up, smiled and said sure why not. I asked them where I was...
  • here next to Lienz
  • you've got to be kidding me, I was there 6 hours ago.
  • Hmm darn mate you made a circle
Was I pissed? Hmm kinda yes kinda no. Sure I lost a day but as they said “it must have been great”. It sure was! I decided to look at it on the bright side. I asked them how to get to Switzerland and they showed me 2 roads... The one I came from and another one I did that very morning.
  • Impossible sorry. Isn't there another way? I refuse doing the same thing twice or going back somewhere. (I think this is a part of my 'men pride').
  • Sure there is another way but this will cost you like 3 hours.
  • Oh time is the one thing I have more than enough, don't you worry!
They showed me a way without really showing me. They said some thing about going there and there but as couples are doing, they didn't have the same way and I decided to find my own one once they're gone.

We started to chat a bit and than the woman asked me if I wanted to join them for a drink. Hmm.. again a rhetoric question! Of course I'm in. All I needed to do was to find a bar. I got back on my bike and headed down the road finding one a km away. All I had to do now was to wait and study my card: I needed a way to go to Switzerland but I needed to stay close to Italy to see what it really does look like. Than I got an idea. What if I arrived a day early to surprise my GF at her uncles birthday? Seemed to be a great idea to me. I phoned her mom and she arranged everything so that I only needed to ride.
A couple of minutes later the nice couple arrived. Her name was Mona and she was doing art work for underprivileged kids in Munich. His name was (I really think that this isn't his correct name) Alexander and he's selling antiques. She has got a website if you want to learn more about her artistic book stuff with children: http://www.horncastle-verlag.de
We had a great chat about the world, politics, traveling and languages. All in all it was a very very nice evening. Then when they headed back to the hotel and payed for all the drinks. Very nice indeed! Mona asked the bartender where I could plant my tent for the night and was really really worried about where I'd sleep that night. She's a very good person. The bartender told me I'd build it up behind the bar and at that moment I realized that this was why I'm riding a bike. You are living everyday something new, you discover each day new stuff and you keep in touch with people. That's impossible with a car: a car is a frontier, a bike is a bridge. Adventure is not knowing where you're going to sleep the next night.

Anyway I didn't tell them that I wanted to arrive a day early, that's meaning that I need to equalize my loss. I needed to drive the night, making as many km as possible. I decided to head to Innsbruck, then to Landeck over the Reschenpass to Graun in Italy to end up in St Moritz in Switzerland. What a program!

I rolled all night until 4 in the morning when I felt too tired to continue my road. I found a nice Bus station in which I took a nap for 2 hours and headed on...

Pics of the day:

Wow what a great start into the day!

Thank you for the Breakfast Brigitta and for the lucky stone! He brought me luck

LANDSCAPES =D

I love lunch time! Sausages with cheese in it!

Hmm Close to front page...

I love the Alps

:o)

Great Pass, If you're there do it!

Thanks again for the beer and the nice evening Mona!

Quote:

Old 08-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #20
Loutre OP
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemovice View Post
welcome;I live near of Limoges
Hi Lemovice!

Where do you live in France?
Quote:

Old 08-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #21
Loutre OP
Cosmopolitan Adv

Day 11 (16/8/12): ~540km – 3400Total km

Oh well, Day 11 should have been the day that would make me like Italy again. Hmm... Man was I wrong. Lets start the journey at the Reschenpass. A nice little pass that brings you from Austria to Italy. The first thing you see there are clouds above the mountains and a big green crystal clear lake. Wow impressing! I like it here. Finally Italy could be a nice place to spend my journey. Then you see out of nowhere a big church tower coming out of the lake... it's getting interesting!
I stopped to take a pic and for a little history lesson. So: during WW2, Mussolini and his gang decided to flood 3 villages with a damm. He didn't ask the villagers if they'd agree but he was kind enough to evacuate the whole thing. If you want to read more about it here is the wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reschensee
Whilst I was reading the little article I saw 3 Katoom drivers making a pause like me. I decided to follow them as soon as they got ready (I still had no real plan and I thought that 3 katoom drivers in the alps are knowing where it's fun to ride). Indeed they knew where it was fun to ride! They got me through all kind of twisty roads and headed towards the Stelvio Pass! I always liked that Moto Guzzi so I needed to discover why these Italians named it after that Mountain.

So here some fun facts about that Stelvio pass:

2nd Highest Pass of the Alps (2757 m)... Next year I need to do the highest one: the Iseran Pass
60 Twisties (48 hairpin turns)
It's only open from June to September
Top Gear was searching for it for “driving heaven”... but ended up doing the the San Bernadino (which I did last year).
In 2013 you need to pay 5€ (for a bike) or 10€ (for a car) to do it... I'm one of the lucky few who was able to do it for free!

It takes you a couple of minutes to climb it and it's amazing I mean really really amazing. The view is breathtaking and you feel how the air is becoming thinner and thinner. At one point you don't drive through fog but through clouds. With my fully loaded Pumpkin' it was getting physical and the 21' front didn't make the things easier. At hairpin 32 the weight of my panniers became too much and my reaction time was to slow to put more throttle into the corner. I dropped the bike. My very first dropping. Darn another reason why I don't like Italy. Anyway I decided to take a picture of the mountains before pulling it up again. As I got the picture, I turned around and my bike was up again! Two young man were holding it with a big smile and waited for my return. Very nice. But there was one problem that I realized once I had my hand around my bike. My helmet was 1 meter away and the bike was slipping on the side stand. Dear god what an awkward moment. I couldn't leave the bike or it would drop again and slide down and I couldn't go on because my helmet was just one little meter away. I made some signs to make the drivers stop. 4 cars stopped, 4 Italians, 4 times the same answer “non capiche”... Yeah I know that you don't understand what I say but I'm gesticulating, I'm showing you my freaking helmet HELP ME FFS!! Then for a good eternity no one came by... It's like yeah you're at 2000meters, thin air, a 250kgs bike, you did sleep 2 hours that night, you're kinda tired and desperate. What to do? Waiting is all I could do. Then finally 3 bikes came and immediately stopped. They understood my problem and even if we didn't speak the same language, two hold my bike whilst one was giving me my helmet and they waited for me to be on my bike before leaving me. TYVM guys!
Finally I reached the top. It was great really. I still have the mental pic. I see the top of the Stelvio before my eyes. I went to the shop there and bought an overpriced sticker but it was worth it.

I went down the mountain on the other side which was much easier. I started with some cows on the road. I forgot how 'illogical' they are. I mean you wait for 10 minutes to let them pass. Then there is a last one there and you turn left to avoid it and it's changing it's curse just to get you. After that just about 10-20 hairpin turns. But then again it's Italy... nothing is easy there. Freaking cross wind came up. Oh yeah just what I needed, cross wind with a fully charged bike with a 21' front doing hairpins. Did I find there a 3rd reason? Yes indeed. But never 3 without 4 right? So 5 minutes later, during my fight against mother nature, she used her joker: Rain. Not just a bit, it rained cats and dogs, it was flooding the roads. I got into the first village I saw and searched a place to hide under. Impossible. The “roads” were just large enough to fit a fiat panda (the very old ones) and they still had that ancient roman pavement. It was slick. On top of that you went from 0 to 1 meter in 20cm. It was worse than everything I've ever seen. My GPS tried to guide me though that but I always found myself in front of dead ends or one way roads. 4th reason why I won't go back to Italy in the next couple of years. Then my reserve light got on... I needed gas. Someone up there really doesn't want me to be in Italy. I headed to the next gas station... Oh surprise... 1,87€ the liter of gas. Are you kidding me? 20Km further away in Austria it's 1,45! 5rth and last reason why I won't go back there!
Waiting for the rain to stop I had a chat with an Italian biker who was going to mount the Stelvio. We talked about bikes and he helped me waiting for the rain to stop. When I got back on the bike he taught me how to say “have a nice journey” in Italian: In Bocca Al Lupo. Thank you mate, you too!

That was enough stress for today, I'm heading home to France. I programmed my GPS to get me the hell out of Italy and back to France through twisties in Switzerland. It took me the whole day but at 9pm I ended up in France. I decided to find a camping place – all I wanted know was a good shower.

I ended up finding one near the border which was really really cheap. Great news. I mounted my tent and launched my cooker. Some hot cocoa, a good shower and I call it a day. As I was writing my journey on my epc, I looked at my tent neighbors. They were “changing” and “disinfecting” a wound. They clearly didn't know how to perform that and hadn't got the material. I saw that they came from Germany (German numberplate) and I proposed them my help. I always travel with a good first aid kit and since I did some Osteopathic studies I know how to fix some open wounds.
The guy told me that he cut his hand whilst cutting a plastic bottle in half for space and recycling reasons... ah these Germans... always worrying about recycling and nature. His GF told me that they needed to go to the local hospital to stop the bleeding.

I had a good chat with the guy later on. He needed to kill the time whilst his girlfriend was writing post cards. We talked about their studies (his GF was studying European law like me) and the difference about Germany and France. It came out that France was much more expensive than Germany... and how did the Germans study the price difference? With beer of course. Beer in Germany costs about 0,80€ the half liter and in France 1,80€.
At one point he saw how tired I was and went back to his GF. I'm very sorry but I really don't remember their names. I wasn't that attentive that evening.

The next day I wanted to get up early and to start my journey at 9am because I had to make 700kms before 10pm through country roads and since my French family is living on the road in Clermont Ferrand I wanted to pass by and say hallo to them. But apparently I was to tired and I slept until 11am. I wanted to take another shower but from 11am to 12 they closed the showers for cleaning. NARF! I returned to my camp and packed my stuff up. I said goodbye to the 2 Germans and told them about great sight seeings in that region of France, especially for the girl since she's studying the same thing as me.

Pics of the day:

Where the journey began

I really like this one. In winter the lake is frozen and you can walk to that church tower

Heading up to the Stelvio

Finally got it!

Ah nature :o)

Even if I don't remember his name, we had a nice chat and I think he deserves a spot in my report.
Quote:

Loutre screwed with this post 08-28-2012 at 07:07 PM
Old 08-29-2012, 03:56 AM   #22
Loutre OP
Cosmopolitan Adv

Day 12+13 (17/18/8/12): ~700km – 4100Total km

Not much to say about that day. I swallowed the little roads and made some breaks. The bad thing was that I started 2h30 late so that I had no time for some family visiting. It was sad because I'm 600km from them away and now that I cross the towns where they live I can't even stop. Oh but some bad news: I lost my hat. Yeah that is really really sad because I loved it. The problem was that I wasn't able to know where I lost it because my only break was at 12:30pm to get something to eat and the next one was at 5pm.

I arrived on time at 10:10pm and my girlfriend Zoé hadn't finished her service yet. Her mother came to me and said that she didn't tell her but that she “kinda” told the rest of the party about my surprise visit... oh yeah just 60 people. Her brother came to me with a big smile and helped me hiding my bike so that Zoé wouldn't know until the very last moment. I made the round and said hello to everyone and even though I didn't knew many people (about 10) everyone knew me already. Strange feeling. I offered Zoé's uncle the Ural mug for his birthday and for the first time I saw some emotion in his face. He really really liked it. I love that big family. Her cousins immediately came with a beer to me and asked me about my journey. Yes about 50 of these 60 people are bikers and are always open for some stories.

At one point Zoé arrived and I saw from the look on her face that my surprise had succeeded. Mission accomplished.

We spent the whole night talking, eating, drinking and dancing. A real party. And the next day would be the birthday of her Cousin. Sweet! The only thing that sucked on that day – except losing my hat – was the fact that my epc erased my RR... but who cares I'm back on track!

We spent the next day next to a lake. It was really too hot to do anything else. I was able to test the underwater skills of my camera and I have to say that I am very pleased.

So here it ends. That was my ride report. I hope you enjoyed it. I know I enjoyed my journey and I enjoyed writing it.

Ride safe and see you next time around!

Cheers,

Tom – Loutre

Pics of the day:

We had a couple of drinks too much :o)

Singing dirty songs

I'm really digging that Pentax camera :o)

Zoé was happy to see the bike... and me?
Quote:

Loutre screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 07:09 AM
Old 08-29-2012, 04:20 AM   #23
lemovice
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
Hi Lemovice!

Where do you live in France?
at Limoges in the Limousin
Old 08-29-2012, 07:26 AM   #24
Loutre OP
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemovice View Post
at Limoges in the Limousin
Great! Next time I'm around there with my bike I write you a mail and we can have a beer "Chez Michard" :o)
Quote:

Old 08-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #25
lemovice
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
Great! Next time I'm around there with my bike I write you a mail and we can have a beer "Chez Michard" :o)
ok
Old 01-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #26
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,141
Thumb Un bocca di lupa

Crepi

Thoroughly enjoyed your report.
You also have a funny way to bring it on. Good.

As you won't pay for showers so I won't pay for riding up the Stelvio. What's that about?
If more of us react the same, we might be riding Stelvio again in 2014.

The Elefanten video was most entertaining.
I hope you don't mind me doubling the link:
I have a weak spot for Ural's, see.
and Napoleon, und winterfahren...

Bring on the good reports and have another
Old 01-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #27
Rango
Phaneropter

Cry Oeps

Sorry, messed up the title, Should read:
in bocca al lupa

mea culpa
I owe you another
Old 01-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #28
Loutre OP
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
Crepi

Thoroughly enjoyed your report.
You also have a funny way to bring it on. Good.

As you won't pay for showers so I won't pay for riding up the Stelvio. What's that about?
If more of us react the same, we might be riding Stelvio again in 2014

The Elefanten video was most entertaining.
I hope you don't mind me doubling the link:
I have a weak spot for Ural's, see.
and Napoleon, und winterfahren...

Bring on the good reports and have another
Thank you very much mate! Always a pleasure to see that people enjoy my stories. I'd like to edit some other stories but the thing is that I don't make enough breakes to get some pictures . I just came home from a 2600km journey but don't have enough material to write about it. Next time I'll try to get something to write about, I promise .

About the Stelvio... Well the Italian guy at the Gas station told me that for 2013 they will ask you money to ride the stelvio. It has become to "touristic" and for some ecologic (I'd say economic...) reasons they want to limit the access. I "checked" on wikipedia and they are saying the same story (that's where I got the price btw... but since it's wikipedia you have to take that informations with tweezers.
It's not illogical since they have done it with the Grossglöckner in Austria.

That will teach me not taking more pictures of these great spots... and not kicking myself in the arse to go up that "house thingy" on top of the stelvio.

House thingy on top of the stelvio...

After your post I took for the first time a closer look at this sign and I think it says that starting 2013 there will be a toll... FFS... I hate when these Italians are right

Oh and BTW where are you from? Any chance we can take a ride together (or at least a beer) one day?
Quote:

Loutre screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 07:34 AM
Old 01-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #29
Rango
Phaneropter

Hm, the ecological thing to do would be to remove the pavement. Give the mountain back to Hannibal and his elephants.

i live just a skid north from Lille: near Antwerp, in the country of the brave (horum fortissimi sunt belgae).
There is beer
Old 01-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #30
Loutre OP
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
Hm, the ecological thing to do would be to remove the pavement. Give the mountain back to Hannibal and his elephants.

i live just a skid north from Lille: near Antwerp, in the country of the brave (horum fortissimi sunt belgae).
There is beer

Oh dear! 130 kms away! that's some nice stuff, possible even with one tank of gas! This can't be a coincidence, it must be a sign. The big guy upstairs wants us to share a beer and go riding together
Well since I have my exams from the 7. to the 25 how about I come by in february? I mean I still need the "B" sticker for my alu-cases

By any chance are you in the part where they know a little french?
Quote: