Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #16
rick3foxes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
I'm loving this ride report, and I'm having Deja Vu as I read it...
I rode to Prudhoe bay in June, and just happened to drop my bike just before leaving town.

Then I hit some bad weather and also had to resort to a motel instead of camping for the first 2 nights.

And I believe I rode through your hometown on the way back!

Rick.

IBA #34583
2003 Connie
"...I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Frost
rick3foxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #17
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremor View Post
How does you son do with the miles you are covering a day?
He did better than I did. He had the back rest on the top box to lean against. I had a herniated disk in my back repaired in 2005 and get sore sooner than he did.

We stopped quite a bit to stretch and shake out the stiffness. To travel all the miles we were going in a single day it took us ALL day. We would stop to eat, drink, fish, etc... It also gave me a chance to sit down and figure out what our destination would be that day.

Thats is also when we would get a chance to socialize with folks along the way. Dylan is a people person and loves to converse!

Todd
NorWis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #18
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3foxes View Post
I'm loving this ride report, and I'm having Deja Vu as I read it...
I rode to Prudhoe bay in June, and just happened to drop my bike just before leaving town.

Then I hit some bad weather and also had to resort to a motel instead of camping for the first 2 nights.

And I believe I rode through your hometown on the way back!

Rick.
Thanks Rick! As I put the photos together it also brings back some great memories!

I dropped that bike on the trip more times than I would like to have to admit to.

If you came across hwy 2 you did indeed go through Ashland. About 3 blocks from my house actually! And you didn't even stop to say hi..... Next time -

Todd
Old 08-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #19
edgeman6000
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorWis View Post
Thanks Rick! As I put the photos together it also brings back some great memories!

I dropped that bike on the trip more times than I would like to have to admit to.

If you came across hwy 2 you did indeed go through Ashland. About 3 blocks from my house actually! And you didn't even stop to say hi..... Next time -

Todd
and if you made it through wausau a little less than 2 hours south of ashland you probably came past my house!!!
edgeman6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #20
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,963
Loving this RR

I started my 5 year old (and to the detractors - he wears a safety harness and can't fall off) on with me this summer. What I'm learning is that time on the bike WITH your son is irreplaceable. We haven't gone far (yet) but we're working to it.

Looking forward to the rest of your report!

C.

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #21
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Day 4

We (actually I) had forgotten about the time change so we were up pretty early. We packed quickly and hit the road with a quick breakfast knowing we had a very big day ahead of us today. This would be the longest days riding we had to do so far.

Our first destination was Argyl Motor Sports (http://www.argyllmotorsports.com) in Edmonton to get parts for the mirror. I thought I could just pick it up and be on our way in just a few minutes. Dream on big boy, dream on....

I had to get better directions from them so I called on the sat phone. "Thank you for calling blah, blah, blah...Please hold...." Noooooooo, I'm on a satellite phone, too late. Thank goodness it wasn't a very long wait. I had good directions and started the trek into downtown Edmonton. An overloaded bike, a strange city, no mirror, and you guessed it, rain. Traffic was pretty thick around noon (we got to Argyl at 12:30) but it was pretty easy to get to. Wayne Gretsky Drive to Argyl and turn right. I can do that!!!!

The cost for the screw (or nut depending which end you look at) was only $10.13. The parts guy popped it into my hand and I knew I wasn't going to be able to fix it on the road. I needed to drill the top clamp out of the one I sheared off and thread the new one in. I could do it at home but on the road I was toast! I told the parts guy my dilemma and he talked to the service manager. A few minutes later I was driving the bike into the garage and letting out a sigh of relief.

This was the LARGEST motorcycle dealership I have ever seen. They had it all. Gear, bikes and everything in between. Dylan and I were like kids in a candy store!!! I escaped with only buying a t-shirt. I was pretty proud of myself. It took two and a half hours for us to get out of there. They only charged us a half hour labor and I was very pleased with how we were treated and their customer service.

Not a single photo was taken until we got to the campground that night. We got to see a lot of the prairie and wheat fields. In my journal I wrote that it rained 4 or 5 times but for most of the day it was dry. Maybe I meant drier.

We tried to find a remote campground in Valleyview but turned around when the road started to get pretty muddy. It was threatening rain again that night and I did not want to be that remote with my son on a remote campsite with that heavy bike. We opted for a commercial RV campground and were quite pleased.

I believe the name was Sherk's RV Campground. Very nice and very friendly. We were tired. Our helmet communicators had run out earlier in the day and they let us use the power in the gazebo. The owner also said we could use the gazebo to sleep in if we wanted to or if the weather got nasty.

The gazebo

Wide shot of the campground

The bike and our campsite for the night. Notice the right side mirror!

This was the first place that I noticed how long it was light outside. I started not being able to sleep very well becasue of the lightness at night. Remember this is approaching the Summer Solstice.

Dylan is an early to bed, early to rise person. We were both exhausted after the days ride. He was falling asleep before he even got into his sleeping bag!

I stayed up to shower and use the wi-fi. This campground was being used by a lot of the construction crews building a new section of highway. I saw this sign in the shower:

This was the last day of very few photos until the return trip home. From here on there are a LOT more photos. I am not a photographer so some of them are whacky, crooked, fingers in the lens, etc. But that's what we'll remember. We aren't perfect but wow did we have fun!

Today's mileage was 490 with a total for the trip of 1576.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #22
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
Loving this RR

I started my 5 year old (and to the detractors - he wears a safety harness and can't fall off) on with me this summer. What I'm learning is that time on the bike WITH your son is irreplaceable. We haven't gone far (yet) but we're working to it.

Looking forward to the rest of your report!

C.
C,

I had folks concerned for Dylan's safety as well. He had the top box on the back and a duffle on each side to keep him on the bike. He fell asleep at least 6 times on the trip. Sometimes I think he just said he fell asleep so that he could get a Mountain Dew. Later in the trip you'll see him with 24oz Dews!

Good for you! Any time you spend with your children is quality time. Enjoy it.

My heart strings were pulled on day 5 with what Dylan and I discovered. It hit home with me and just reinforced what we were doing.

Todd
Old 08-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #23
07wee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorWis View Post

My heart strings were pulled on day 5 with what Dylan and I discovered. It hit home with me and just reinforced what we were doing.

Todd
Way to rope us in for the next episode!

Love this rr!! Brings me back to when I was growing up and my dads bike was a Honda silverwing 500 I believe (before they were a "battle scooter" )After that I remember taking a few trips to northern Canada with my dad shortly after getting out of high school and getting my own bike.

You really are doing something amazing for him that he will truly remember for a lifetime
07wee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #24
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07wee View Post
Way to rope us in for the next episode!

Love this rr!! Brings me back to when I was growing up and my dads bike was a Honda silverwing 500 I believe (before they were a "battle scooter" )After that I remember taking a few trips to northern Canada with my dad shortly after getting out of high school and getting my own bike.

You really are doing something amazing for him that he will truly remember for a lifetime

Honestly, if I had to select a time or day that the adventure truly began, Day 5 would be it.

I too went on trips with my dad. Not via motorcycle but backpacking in and around his childhood home in western Pennsylvania. I still cherish those trips and the strength he provided just "being there". I guess that's why I want to do the same for my boys.

This is also the day I realized that it's not just all about me and my need for adventure. Dylan was beginning to be able to think for himself and make decisions on what he wanted to do. I had to compromise from here on....

Todd
Old 08-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #25
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Day 5

Day 5 - June 14th

We were up as the diesel trucks began to idle throughout the campground. We again quickly packed up and headed out. Grand Prairie wasn't very far and maybe they would have one of our new favorite places to eat, Tim Horton's!

They did indeed! We stopped there to get a quick breakfast at Tim's (it was packed). Grand Prairie was a pretty good sized oil boom town. At least that's what it looked like. Fueled up and tried to get back on the highway. As we were circling a small shopping center I heard Dylan on the intercom "Dad! There's a skate shop!" Yeah, so what? Can we stop? You've got to be kidding me? Nooooo, please? Ok, I guess if it's quick.

I took a quick picture to prove to my wife I wasn't a complete jerk. Little did I know that this was only the beginning of an entire series of events I would later come to enjoy.

I wandered around the store looking at all the clothing and "stuff". It was a very well thought out store for being in the middle of nowhere!

Here's Dylan drooling over all the boards. He was looking for a new board before we even started on the trip.

I'm glad it was early and there wasn't a lot of folks in the store (we were the only ones). When I read the poster below I actually blurted out a laugh.

This is the owner getting Dylan a board down to look at. He was a great guy and obviously related to these kids quite well. He later told me he had another store in Quebec that was even bigger. When I spotted the "big boy toy area", AKA - helmet camera area. I zoomed in on that. I had mounted a Contour GPS camera on my handle bars with a RAM mount and was rethinking that. Alas, the prices up there were a bit higher than I was willing to pay. Darn!!!

---Side bar--- stay tuned for videos of the ride later on. Snowcapped mountains in BC and Atigun pass crossing to name a couple.

It was nice to break up the ride a little. We weren't in a rush, had no place to be, and didn't have a bunch of miles to do today. We left S3 and headed out toward the Alaska Highway!!!

We had heard that the recent rains had damaged the Alcan and had closed it, we needed to get some current info.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #26
NorWis OP
No longer a "Wanna Be"

Day 5 Continued

From Grand Prairie we traveled through Beaverlodge. Ok, you knew that I was in Scouting and for those of you familiar with Wood Badge you'll understand this. For those who don't, sorry but this will only take a few minutes.

I had to stop and get some photos of the giant beaver! I have a few dear friends who sadly enough, belong to the Beaver Patrol. I'm a Bob White. I guess I shouldn't get on their case too much. I was presented with the Silver Beaver a few years ago.

Entering Beaverlodge

A few shots of the giant beaver!

Dylan thought I was nuts. Most people do, though! You can see his cheeks all puffed up from laughing even though he still has his helmet on. He was just humoring me with getting his photo taken.

The beaver all alone.

All done with the Wood Badge, beaver, scouts thingy.

I had to do another cheap photo op with the provincial signs. I missed the Alberta sign coming in so I got it as we entered British Columbia.

Alberta:

Look out BC, here we come!!!!

Next up is the start of the Alaska Highway still on day 5 or June 14. Tire issues, washed out roads, wildlife (lots of it), and most importantly...why we do the things we do.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #27
terryckdbf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 791
Subscribed and enjoying it.

Terry
terryckdbf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #28
dave6253
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,932
Nice start! I'll follow along. I just got back from some of the same roads as well.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #29
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 811
Great trip and +1 on how special to be able to share it with your son!
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #30
Olorin_the_13th
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Guess, I'm hanging in here, too :-D

Thanks for taking us along. Although, coming from the other side of the Great Water:
what with that Bob White and Beaver Patrol thingie?
Guess, I'm not catching the joke. Care to explain? I fear I'm about to get funny ideas and non-pc understanding otherwise.
Olorin_the_13th is offline   Reply With Quote