User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
FBR OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
TWAT Southern Part Day Run

This morning I headed out to do the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail (TWAT). I loaded up the bike and rolled out of town around 8:00 am. I had what usually takes an hour and a half drive ahead of me just to get to where I wanted to get on the trail. I was in a little bit of a hurry, so I made it just under an hour.
This is my first RR, and I have a shitty camera, so please excuse the poor quality pictures, and writing.
First stop, and where I got on the trail was a little river town called Cassville. Cassville has a working river ferry that will take you across the river into Iowa. It wasn't at the east bank, so I walked over to check out the Memorial park. Sure makes me feel like I don't do enough for my country every time I look at one of them.

Well the ferry was taking a long time, and I was only waiting for a picture anyways, so I hit the trail. Started off on a sealcoat road, but in a matter of a few miles it turned to gravel. It was smooth and a little loose. I have been mostly a street rider for the last 10 years, so it took a little time to get used to the bike wiggling around under me. Wasn't long and I was all smiles, and getting into 6th gear.

Found this cool rock overhang along the trail. I think every high school kid in 3 counties has painted their name on it! And left a few beer cans layin around.

Miles and miles of this, why didn't I hear about this earlier?

I had taken some pretty neat pictures of the streams along the trails, but somehow I managed to misplace them (or not save them). They were really nice streams with little rapids and tiny waterfalls winding down though the valleys.
Came across a Rustic road. Wisconsin has a little over 100 Rustic Roads mapped out, most are old seal coat, and some are gravel. I am going to try to ride them all in the next couple years.

I took the trail up to Viola, but not many photo ops around there. I was getting hungry around the 200 mile mark, so I stopped in Readstown for dinner. Good food, and at least 10 different kinds of pie! I was too full from the dinner, but believe me the pie is good. I have stopped a few times before.
After filling up it was back on the trail heading up to Viola. More gravel and seal coat, but nice roads to cruise on.
On the way home I went through the valley I grew up in. I stopped on top of a hill all the kids (never me!) used to party on. I took a picture looking down at an old school house that sits on my uncles land.

All in all a great ride with a little over 300 miles. I am gonna try to do the middle 3rd of the trail over Labor day weekend. From other reports it sounds like the middle 3rd of it is more dirt and some sand. Anybody care to join me? Or tell me how to get the pics bigger?
94 Ducati M900
1974 dt 125
FBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:38 AM   #2
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
I drove the trail from Galena to Marquette Iowa with my Jeep yesterday. The most southern part of the trail was mostly paved roads. The part from Glen Haven to Bridgeport was the best. It was not recently plowed gravel roads with some good sized hills. I used 4x4 some but my friends Liberty was only working in 2WD. She slid a bit on the hills but did great. Didn't get stuck at all. The trail was a bit disappointing in the south but got much better as we went on. I'm looking forward to doing this with my V-Strom or XT225.

My Gopro was not set correctly so all of the shots I took on the trail didn't take. I was bummed. This pic is going from Prairire Du Chein, WI into Marquette, IA.

Keithert screwed with this post 02-17-2014 at 08:54 PM
Keithert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:25 PM   #3
FBR OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Twat

If you are looking for somebody to ride with, just shoot me a message! Its a fun trail, it seems to get better the farther north you go.
94 Ducati M900
1974 dt 125
Old 02-17-2014, 07:18 PM   #4
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBR View Post
If you are looking for somebody to ride with, just shoot me a message! Its a fun trail, it seems to get better the farther north you go.
I'll have to do that. Do you know where the part with the Rocky ledge with graffiti is located? Where do you like to start from?

Keithert screwed with this post 02-17-2014 at 07:30 PM
Old 02-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #5
FBR OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It is just a little north of Cassville. Maybe Glen Haven? I'd have to look at the maps to find it. Its a neat little gravel road that follows along the river.
I have started from Cassville 2 times, and usually head to Viola or that area. Nice gravel/twisty roads. I can hit the blacktop and be home from Viola in less than an hour so it is a good stop point for me.
94 Ducati M900
1974 dt 125
Old 02-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #6
Giffy
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Pretty sure that part of the road is known as Dugway Road, running between Glen Haven and Bagley. It comes out on County P near River of Lakes in Bagley and is an awesome drive. The old power lines with the glass insulators are neat to see.
Giffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:07 AM   #7
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

I found this website with a good descriptions of the area.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:56 AM   #8
FBR OP
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Keithert;23502803]I found this website with a good descriptions of the area.

He does a much better job describing the ride, and he was in a van! Oh well, my photo skills suck, and my writing is even worse, but it is great ride! If you have the time, I would encourage anyone to take it.
94 Ducati M900
1974 dt 125