User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2003, 11:00 PM   #1
Strider OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Rick Mayer or Russell saddle?

Need some help deciding! My "comfort" seat isn't. I've heard (and been to the web pages) of each of Rick Mayer's and Russell's saddles...about the same price, and each sounds convincing. What do you ride, and why did you choose it? Pros and Cons from real riders? Thanks...
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 04:50 AM   #2
Augie
Nincompoop

Oddometer: 27,367
Re: Rick Mayer or Russell saddle?

Quote:
Said Strider:
Need some help deciding! My "comfort" seat isn't. I've heard (and been to the web pages) of each of Rick Mayer's and Russell's saddles...about the same price, and each sounds convincing. What do you ride, and why did you choose it? Pros and Cons from real riders? Thanks...
I like the Bill Mayer on my GS ( sorry no RT here). very conformal to my butt after suppling my dimensions to him. I cant wait to do SS1K now.
Augie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 05:19 AM   #3
cbmwgs
Retired Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Rick Mayer

I had a Rick Mayer saddle on my R1150GS for over 30,000 miles. I had tried Sargent and Corbin. The Rick Mayer seat is way more comfortable. It would allow several back to back 600 mile days.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:28 PM   #4
SKWERL
Squirrelly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Re: Rick Mayer or Russell saddle?

Quote:
Said Strider:
I have a Rick Mayer on my F650GSD and a Russell on my R1150GS. I don't have a large number of miles on the Mayer, but it is reasonably comfortable. You might want to look around on this forum as there are some folks with varying experiences with the Mayers. I've got about 50k on my Russell right now including days up to 1200 miles and have been very happy with it. It isn't magic, but it is very comfortable. One plus for the Russell, especially if you are a larger person, is that they use a metal cross spring instead of foam. Modern foams are nice, but I believe it will hold up better over a long period of time. I like the use of the stock pan because it fits the bike better (I don't plan on going back to stock). One downside is that the back rest fits to the rear half of the GS seat.

No experience with Bill Mayer or Sargent. I've had various Corbin saddles over the years and would never buy another, but know people who like theirs.... YMMV.

bryan
SKWERL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 08:46 PM   #5
Airtire
Major Spammer //////

Oddometer: 104
I have had:

Corbin - Too hard and very heavy
Rick Mayer - Pretty Good
Bill Mayer - On now and staying. Excellent. Highly recommend
Airtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 09:19 PM   #6
Gerg
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,208
I've got a Bill (Rocky) Mayer on the GS and LOVE IT!
Get a ride in (it'll be a shag for ya but worth it). Tell me if/when you're going and I'll try to ride over with ya

Ask Fish about Rick.

So far the seat on the K seems OK to me. But I haven't done over 200 miles in a day yet But I know my wife would like a better seat, she loves the GS seat too.

Greg
Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 09:33 PM   #7
fish
Banned

Oddometer: 47,709
Quote:
Said Greg:
Ask Fish about Rick.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...yer#post146243
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 09:34 PM   #8
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,256
I know fish had an issue or two with Rick, but my experiences have been very positive. My saddle is extrememly comfy. I have been intending to post a thread and some new pics. Gotta do that some day.
Gordy
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 09:56 PM   #9
fish
Banned

Oddometer: 47,709
Everybody is different. It's nice that there are so many choices.
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 10:38 PM   #10
Strider OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Hey, I really appreciate the heads-up. If I'm going to drop five hundred smackers, I'd better be really pleased. I want to be sure to get someone who is anal about customer service. Thanks everyone for your insights and help.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 01:55 PM   #11
spanky
Well, maybe...

Oddometer: 1,764
Holy Shit! I just read your post on RMS and can't believe how close I came to buying seats from this guy. Thanks for the heads up on this chump, I'll take my bidness elsewhere.
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 07:16 AM   #12
stevenknapp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Can't stand looking at a Russel.

Had a friend with a Rick, and he was ok with it, but not super happy.

I'm happy with my Rocky. He was helpful, came on time. All was good.

I can't imagine a seat being more comfortable, but on the other hand I'm still sitting on my ass for hours on end. Eventually I want to get off for a bit.
stevenknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 11:47 AM   #13
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,466
I have a Russell on an '88 R100GS. It has been comfortable on several 500 mile days. Its about 10 years old and has held up fine. The only seat I've used that was more comfortable was the stock, sprung, tractor saddle that came on the H-D cop bike I used to own.

If I wanted a really comfy seat, I'd buy another Russell..
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 12:11 PM   #14
Team Dennis
Certified Troublemaker

Oddometer: 4,537
I can't stand to look at the Russell either. But when I'm sitting on it ,I can't see it. I've tried the Corbin but poor quality and even poorer customer service will prevent me from ever buying another. The Russell has seen me through multiple 600-900 mile days with no issues. And I solved the ugly problem by having a spare stock seat for in- town and everyday riding.
Team Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 11:02 PM   #15
Ford R
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Get a Russel unless your butt is controlled by your ego.

I used the Corbin for 20,000 miles and it was "OK." Got the Rick Mayer and it wasn't. A re-fit, it wasn't. It is abeautiful seat and the workmanship is excellent. It is a standard steat on steroids but still isn't a great seat. I put the old Corbin back on the bike and I have a choice because I have both. Should have popped for the Russell. Do it first and and save the money.
Ford R is offline   Reply With Quote