User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2011, 02:26 AM   #1
Rev Tiny OP
Twisted Archer

Oddometer: 2,602
who rides a Suzuki M109r

as the title says who rides a Suzuki M109r and what do you think of it?
any problems with it?
'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.'
tEAM nONG
Rev Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:26 AM   #2
Glenngineer
Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer: 756
I'll take middle age white guys for 1000.
Glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:29 AM   #3
bubfryder
dirtyplayer

Oddometer: 176
I had buyers remorse within 20 miles of owning one. Good power in a straight line, wallowed like a pig in the bendies. Had it for a year and a half, but disliked it so much that I only put 400 miles on it before I gave up and sold it.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:45 AM   #4
Rev Tiny OP
Twisted Archer

good to know was looking at one as an option as harleys are to short in the legroom department and these seem pretty stretched out
'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.'
tEAM nONG
Old 01-28-2011, 07:57 AM   #5
gmiguy
You rode a what to where?

Oddometer: 1,167
I have a friend who owns one.

He told me that he had to replace the exhaust because he wore a hole through the OEM system with what we considered to be moderate lean angles. Apparently, the first part to touch ground in a turn is the exhaust plumbing.

That's enough to put me off the bike, YMMV.

Beyond that, it's almost unbelievably fast in a straight line and a pig in the twisties. If that's your thing, it's among the best options out there.

From what he told me, they seem to have some sort of endemic problem with clutch slipping or shuddering. He was debating whether to upgrade the clutch plates or have his OEM ones cryo treated to improve performance. I'd be disinclined to put up with that.
gmiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #6
dynamos2000
is boinking your mom

Oddometer: 1,560
For a cruiser, it is FAR from a pig in the twisties, I had a pretty modified one and it was an awesome bike.

Brute force off the line that allowed to you really eat up lots of folks just because its so easy to launch. I thought the handling was great and I'm pretty picky, but I'm not comparing it to a non-cruiser light standard.

great bike
Old 01-28-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
Rev Tiny OP
Twisted Archer

thanks i am looking for a cruiser not a sports bike or a tourer i have one of them
tEAM nONG
Old 01-28-2011, 10:50 PM   #8
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Never tried one myself but according to european press it's the "pick of the muscle cruisers", so it can't be that bad. Maybe just worn or unballanced tires that made bubfryder's bike handle badly?
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:55 PM   #9
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Tiny View Post
good to know was looking at one as an option as harleys are to short in the legroom department and these seem pretty stretched out
You might try one of the aftermarket seats. It makes a huge difference.

The stock seats tend to sit you too high and too far forward. I sat in the bike instead of on it.

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:51 AM   #10
healeyblue
Old and Cunning

Oddometer: 73
I owned one as a toy for awhile. Much is made of the clutch issue but I never had that. It has huge pistons and big twins often have a clunky transmission in the lowest gears. This one does as well. Very quick. I never had handling issues. It did not flex or wiggle within its lean angle capabilities. Great bike for a power cruiser. Great value.
healeyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:24 AM   #11
doublen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
I have a coworker who rides one. I've sat on it, but haven't ridden it. The riding position is just weird. The power is good and they sound decent, but for the money and type of bike I'd rather have a Harley or a Victory. Good thing I don't like cruisers anyway.
doublen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:48 AM   #12
Rev Tiny OP
Twisted Archer

they are 10k cheaper than the equivalent harley or victory here
tEAM nONG
Old 01-30-2011, 04:00 AM   #13
doublen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Tiny View Post
they are 10k cheaper than the equivalent harley or victory here
True, but the nice thing about a Harley is the resale value. You'll never get that with the Suzuki, you will however get reliability. haha
doublen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:34 AM   #14
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,652
interesting.

i too am somewhat smitten with this bike. There are TONS of videos on youtube on it. It seems to have a pretty enthusiastic following.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:42 AM   #15
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,160
2008 m109r2

As somebody who has spent the last 32 years on motorcycles, and a current owner of the M109R2, I can say this is a good choice over the Harley bikes.

I have a Silver M109R2 that I really enjoy. The bike weighs in at about 750lbs, which may lead one to think its a "pig in the twisties". However, if a person knows how to really handle different types of bikes, they will see, this bike actually does quite well in the twisties, considering its size and weight. Now, its no crotch-rocket, but it will consistently drag the pegs in the corners, if you have the balls to lean it that far. As for dragging pipes through a corner, this would be a mis-adjustment of pipes or after-market pipes. The stock pipes afford plenty of room to get through the corners, and you will be warned of the tipping point when you foot-pegs scrapes on the asphalt. Just looking at the inverted front forks, one knows the handling is MUCH better than any other cruiser. As well, this bike has water-cooling, something the Harley will soon be forced to go to one day. With the Harley, you paying for a name, and 19th century technology.

I have upgraded my rear tire to a Dunlop E3 250, which is quite a bit larger than the stock 240, even though its only 10mm difference. This gives the cruiser a real fat boy look, and will still allow the bike to carve the corners.

If one is going to spend several hours in the saddle, I would suggest upgrading the saddle to something more comfortable. The stock seat is not comfortable.

I think Suzuki did a great job at tackling the Cruiser and Muscle Bike market. This bike really does straddle both segments, and does it quite well.

As for complaints about clutch shudder, indeed there are many. However, it doesn't seem to affect everybody. I've got over 8500 miles on my bike, and no clutch shudder. Maybe it's the way I ride, maybe not.

Here is a link to a Dakota Digital Mod that I did on my bike. This was very involved, and took some time, but the results are awesome.

http://m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124442
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote