ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Alaska
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #16
tomasv
Check the Czech!
 
tomasv's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Seattle area
Oddometer: 281
Just came back on Sat from 2.5 weeks Seattle - Alaska

Roads to ride:

Cassier HWY (make sure to go to Telegraph Creek!)

Dempster to Inuvik - careful there, I hit a moose there on day 6 of our trip - details later

Top of the world HWY to Alaska

Denali HWY to Fairbanks - make a trip to Manley hot springs and take a bath in the green house - AMAZING!

Dalton to Prudhoe - might be too late

Hatchers pass near Palmer - AMAZING but careful, we got almost snowed in last week and there was about 1 inch of snow just about 100 elevenation meters above us

T.
tomasv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:08 AM   #17
TSD
Adventurer Wannabe
 
TSD's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Phila, PA
Oddometer: 86
+1 on Cassiar, 37a to Hyder if you get a chance...


__________________
TSD
http://ja4ja.wordpress.com/
2009 1200 GSA
2012 Sertao
TSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #18
Dazzer OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Dazzer's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Yorkshire
Oddometer: 582
Wow looks great we cant wait. were in Cambodia at the moment but will be making our way back to Thailand soon for our flight to Vancouver . We cant wait to ride this part of the world.

Dazzer and Leigh

if anyone would like to read about our round the world trip all the up dates are here. Thanks

http://www.bmwgs.co.uk/viewtopic.php...=asc&start=180
__________________
UK
Dazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:27 PM   #19
oclv454
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Oddometer: 289
I'm still in Alaska. Left Tahoe on July 8th. The weather has been pretty good recently. I just went 6 days without rain gear! The mosquitos have quieted down a lot. Pick your days over the high country. I went over Atigun two weeks ago and the next day it snowed and they closed the road for a day. I've been to Hyder, Skagway, Haines, dawson City, Eagle, Chena, Circle, Deadhorse, Manley, Talkeetna, Nabesna, McCarthy, Valdez, Whittier, Seward, Homer and the Spit, Hope, Hatcher Pass, old Denali highway, and points in between. The highlights for me (and everyone is different) have been staying at the Devil's Mountain Lodge in Nabesna, camping on the river on the Cheena Hotsprings road, the Dalton highway (even though it was very muddy the day I went north), and camping on the beach at the Homer Spit Campground (past the Salty Dawg on the right). A couple neat surprises were going through the Whittier Tunnel, lunch in Hope at The Seaview Bar and Cafe, the municipal campground in Seward, Talkeetna, Hatcher Pass, and Atigun Pass. I have to mention the Nabesna road and Devil's Mountain Lodge again. The Ellis's were wonderful at the lodge and you will feel like you are really in Alaska. A couple bummers are that there is no gas in Paxson, the Circle Hot Springs have been closed for years (apparently I was the only person in Alaska that didn't know this), Skagway (ride to Skagway but either turn around right before town or go straight to the ferry, the mud on the road to Manley (slipperyiest I found in all of Alaska), The busses in Denali National Park, and the prices for just about everything up here. Don't look at the weather reports.....it never seems to be as bad as they say. Expect it to rain a bit every day and take it as a bonus if it doesn't. I've had a blast and hate to leave. I hope you have as much fun as I have had.
oclv454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #20
AKTroy
BE AWARE OF TRAINS
 
AKTroy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Eagle River, Alaska
Oddometer: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by oclv454 View Post
I'm still in Alaska. Left Tahoe on July 8th. The weather has been pretty good recently. I just went 6 days without rain gear! The mosquitos have quieted down a lot. Pick your days over the high country. I went over Atigun two weeks ago and the next day it snowed and they closed the road for a day. I've been to Hyder, Skagway, Haines, dawson City, Eagle, Chena, Circle, Deadhorse, Manley, Talkeetna, Nabesna, McCarthy, Valdez, Whittier, Seward, Homer and the Spit, Hope, Hatcher Pass, old Denali highway, and points in between. The highlights for me (and everyone is different) have been staying at the Devil's Mountain Lodge in Nabesna, camping on the river on the Cheena Hotsprings road, the Dalton highway (even though it was very muddy the day I went north), and camping on the beach at the Homer Spit Campground (past the Salty Dawg on the right). A couple neat surprises were going through the Whittier Tunnel, lunch in Hope at The Seaview Bar and Cafe, the municipal campground in Seward, Talkeetna, Hatcher Pass, and Atigun Pass. I have to mention the Nabesna road and Devil's Mountain Lodge again. The Ellis's were wonderful at the lodge and you will feel like you are really in Alaska. A couple bummers are that there is no gas in Paxson, the Circle Hot Springs have been closed for years (apparently I was the only person in Alaska that didn't know this), Skagway (ride to Skagway but either turn around right before town or go straight to the ferry, the mud on the road to Manley (slipperyiest I found in all of Alaska), The busses in Denali National Park, and the prices for just about everything up here. Don't look at the weather reports.....it never seems to be as bad as they say. Expect it to rain a bit every day and take it as a bonus if it doesn't. I've had a blast and hate to leave. I hope you have as much fun as I have had.
Yeah thats the way ya do it!

And reminds me I've got to do that Nabesna ride!
__________________
Team Pterodactyl, Hooligan Division. R.I.P Harry
Mythical Riders, boy are they movin'. Thru dust, rocks & mud..............they're FUKENGRUVEN!
As I look back through the decades, theres a thought that prevails. We are born without a road map and a choice of many trails...........
AKTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #21
AlaskanMudder
not AKMUD
 
AlaskanMudder's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Oddometer: 110
I have to mention the sea to the sky highway, nw of Vancouver northbound. After you pass whistler, the roads personality changes. Its simply an incredible road. It has everything from beatuty, to wildlife (almost hit a bear) and the road is in great shape as well. I additionally would recommend either a ride to Seward or take the tunnel to Whittier then a ferry ride to Valdez. That would be the most bang for your buck as far as see the most scenery in a short amount of time. From Valdez, the scenery is awesome no matter which direction you end up going. you could do the same in reverse as well, Valdez to Whittier. Whatever you do, the best of luck to ya! If you are in Anchorage, give me a shout, Ill treat you to a beer, or a cider! 907-748-0000

-Erik
__________________
02 FZ-1 SOLD
84 KL600 SOLD
05 V-Strom 1000 'Skull Strom'
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
AlaskanMudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #22
Dazzer OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Dazzer's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Yorkshire
Oddometer: 582
Thank you all for the info

I leave Thailand in a few hours for our flight to Vancouver. we stay there two nights before catching the greyhound bus to Seattle on Saturday. The port is closed over the weekend so hope to get the bike Monday at the earliest.

Hope to see some of you on route.

Dazzer and Leigh
__________________
UK
Dazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:30 AM   #23
Dazzer OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Dazzer's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Yorkshire
Oddometer: 582
we are now in Vancouver. staying at the Travelodge for two nights to recover from the jet lag . Friday we will check out the route from here to the Greyhound bus station and then Saturday we will head down to Tacoma where we hope the bike will arrive this weekend. All being well we hope to clear customs on Monday. If so we will start heading north to Alaska. We cant wait .

Thanks All. Dazzer and Leigh
__________________
UK
Dazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #24
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer
 
Alaskajeff's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Palmer, ALASKA
Oddometer: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzer View Post
we are now in Vancouver. staying at the Travelodge for two nights to recover from the jet lag . Friday we will check out the route from here to the Greyhound bus station and then Saturday we will head down to Tacoma where we hope the bike will arrive this weekend. All being well we hope to clear customs on Monday. If so we will start heading north to Alaska. We cant wait .

Thanks All. Dazzer and Leigh
GET HERE AS FAST AAS YOU CAN! Morning temps already in the 30's in places. Frost isn't too far behind. Hope you packed warm riding gear.
__________________
Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
2011 Verys ADV
92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #25
limey1
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: bowmanville ont canada
Oddometer: 20
I did 6 weeks 20,000km from Toronto to the Yukon and Alaska and the highlight of the trip was 3 days on Prince Of Wales Island and the Haines HWY.




limey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #26
Funk Phenomena
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Oddometer: 11
If I could do again: Seattle to AK via I-5/542/9 Canada 1/97/16/37/1, then Tok to Valdez across sound via ferry to Whittier, up 1 through Palmer to Glen Allen then 4 north to Denali Highway west to 3. 3 north to Fairbanks, do the Dalton, then 2 east to Tok. Do top of world and/or dempster if body/mind/time/budget allow, get to Haines and take ferry back to Bellingham. Choose itinerary for such based on mind/budget/time criteria. The ferry was beautiful and well worth it. Many points of interest along the way and the apt pun, ymmv.

PS The water trucks on the dalton will be the bane of your existence.
Funk Phenomena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #27
Dazzer OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Dazzer's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Yorkshire
Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Phenomena View Post
If I could do again: Seattle to AK via I-5/542/9 Canada 1/97/16/37/1, then Tok to Valdez across sound via ferry to Whittier, up 1 through Palmer to Glen Allen then 4 north to Denali Highway west to 3. 3 north to Fairbanks, do the Dalton, then 2 east to Tok. Do top of world and/or dempster if body/mind/time/budget allow, get to Haines and take ferry back to Bellingham. Choose itinerary for such based on mind/budget/time criteria. The ferry was beautiful and well worth it. Many points of interest along the way and the apt pun, ymmv.

PS The water trucks on the dalton will be the bane of your existence.
Can they be worse then the Vodka drinking drivers of Siberia

__________________
UK
Dazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #28
Dazzer OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Dazzer's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Yorkshire
Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by limey1 View Post
I did 6 weeks 20,000km from Toronto to the Yukon and Alaska and the highlight of the trip was 3 days on Prince Of Wales Island and the Haines HWY.





Wow...


Thanks for the info.
A link to our tracker is here. Cant wait to get out there on the bike.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...lphFACkExoOzID
__________________
UK
Dazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #29
Dazzer OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Dazzer's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Yorkshire
Oddometer: 582
After 2 hours doing the paper work at the Tacoma port I was aloud to collect my bike and leave the port.

At last were free to ride. The kind people at Custom Bikes ordered me a tyre I needed ,so as soon as that arrives on Thursday Morning we start riding North.

Hope to meet a few ADV riders on route.


__________________
UK
Dazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #30
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer
 
Alaskajeff's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Palmer, ALASKA
Oddometer: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzer View Post
After 2 hours doing the paper work at the Tacoma port I was aloud to collect my bike and leave the port.

At last were free to ride. The kind people at Custom Bikes ordered me a tyre I needed ,so as soon as that arrives on Thursday Morning we start riding North.

Hope to meet a few ADV riders on route.


Man so close but yet so far. Now I understand. How many miles did you get out of it? Has it worn out faster than expected since you started your trip? Get it changed quickly, EVERY DAY counts this time of year, at least here in AK. A 2 day delay could mean the difference between riding in the rain or SNOW!! Look forward to possibly meeting up with you SOON. Ride safe...........
__________________
Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
2011 Verys ADV
92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)

Alaskajeff screwed with this post 08-29-2012 at 05:20 AM Reason: I wasn't thinking
Alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014