User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
GreatWhiteNorth OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,590
KLR endurance test?

Not sure if the 3,600 kilometer trip I recently took to the Rockies & back (from Winnipeg) was more a test of the bike, or me, but it's a done deal, and I was fairly impressed by the ability of the KLR to battle it's way across the prairies and through the mountains, over three 2000+ metre/7000 ft passes no less! Considering the sidecar was fairly loaded down with camping gear, sure demonstrates (to me personally anyway) that the KLR engine is one rugged piece of equipment.

Pics... Jasper Alberta 1700 kilometers into the trip (we have arrived!)

Maligne Lake near Jasper. A beautiful 40 km ride from downtown Jasper up Maligne Canyon Road.

My camp spot at Jasper:

Obligatory shot somewhere along the Athabasca Glacier Parkway (Hwy 93)

Everyone has seen their share of pics of Banff & Lake Louise. I prefer the more remote, less travelled routes. Highway 40 which cuts through Kananaskis country comes out thru the foothills to Longview Alberta. Our camp spot at Greenford along a beautiful river in the foothills:

This river - apparently excellent fishing:

Sad to leave such beautiful country in the rearview mirror. Somewhere just west of Longview AB.

Next stop Cypress Hills Provincial Park on the border of Alberta and Saskatchewan

This is one of my favourite prairie destinations. This was a sacred retreat for the Indians. Sitting Bull and his people fled north across the border to camp here following the Custer massacre at Little Bighorn. The view looking north from the Lookout out over the prairies below. The Trans Canada (# 1) highway is about 35 km to the north - awesome view!

The view from Bald Butte lookout.

My camp spot at Cypress Hills campground:

Made it back home from here in 1 day - a 975 km blitz. Longest/furthest I've ever ridden any motorcycle in one day!

Approximately 3,600 kms driven over 5 days riding. Pretty quick vacation but I got in my annual "fix" of the Rockies for this year.

GreatWhiteNorth screwed with this post 08-03-2012 at 09:10 PM
GreatWhiteNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,345
Dang, brother- that thing is cool.

A certain "informal elegance" to the first gen. KLR with a sidecar.

Would like to hear about any potential modifications that were done to the bike to accomodate.

great trip there too sir.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:18 AM   #3
GreatWhiteNorth OP
Beastly Adventurer

Pretty stock set-up actually

Unstable Rider - aside from the sidecar installation, the bike doesn't have many significant mods, but came with a WP rear shock, and Supertrapp EAR muffler installed (nice). I bought the rig used from DMC (thanks again Jay!). The bike is a '92, (had less than 16,000 miles on it at time of purchase) and I prettied it up some with a newer tank, stock seat, Pro-Taper aluminum bars, added the ammo boxes and pannier racks for additional storage. I bought the Gears Navigator tail bag too, for a tail pack (that's a nice piece of kit for $90). I did the doohickey mod (used the deluxe torsion spring) a few days before leaving, for peace of mind. Glad I did as the stock spring had no tension remaining... but at least no broken parts. Ran noticeably quieter after. It uses oil (don't all KLRs :^) , but considering how hard that poor little engine was working, no wonder! Oil consumption was approx 1 3/4 litres over the distance (3,600 kms). I'd replaced the coolant with a 25% glycol mix ratio which noticeably improved (lowered) operating temps. At no time did I see the temp gauge nearing redline (an issue before changing out the old coolant). You can't be in a hurry with this combo - while I could generally cruise at 100 km/h, any headwind or uphill climb would knock it back to 90 or 95! The engine spent a lot of time pinned, or operating close to full throttle. I've got a '96 cylinder & 685 kit awaiting machining/install. Might get head work done too - I could really use another 5 hp!

Looks a bit different now - just had a spare gas tank (the tank that came with it) and the side covers Rhino lined:

Old 08-10-2012, 02:46 AM   #4
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,345
Thanks for the response, I have a 2009 KLR that would be fun to have a sidecar on, but I had some of those same concerns you speak of, is it really enough bike.... I think perhaps as adequate as a Ural, speed wise maybe, huh?

I don't mean to have the Ural boys throwing poop at me for saying that, I think they may be just close performers in overall conditions is all.

I think I recently saw a post somewheres where a guy put a sidecar on a Versys..... hmmmm, there's a thought.

TWO CYLINDERS and stuff.....

Someday brother, someday. Thanks-- it sure looks like fun. DMC certainly the place to go as well.

How you liking the Rhino liner on the tank and such? Is it "sharp" or abrasive?

Wearing well I bet?
Old 08-10-2012, 04:43 AM   #5
GreatWhiteNorth OP
Beastly Adventurer

Legit concerns for sure

I actually started a thread a while back regarding the KLR vs Ural comparison: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=762453

My thoughts now having racked up probably over 8,000 kms on this rig this season:
- is the KLR underpowered as a tug? Yes, but only really noticeable, or an issue at highway speeds.
- is it a good match to the DMC Enduro sidecar? Yes, I'd say near perfect match. I have a freakin' blast on gravel roads with it. It's very stable and predictable. It does head shake a lot under certain conditions, but the forces are low and easy to deal with. I have a steering damper I could fit, and am tempted to experiment with it, but the thought of it potentially coming apart while under way just gives me the willies!
- is it hard on the engine? I'd say it must stress it considerably more. Is it up to the task? I think the transmission can handle it, but it's gotta be murder on the clutch. I just noticed my clutch starting to slip (on the highway) yesterday, and just ordered replacement clutch discs.

Yes, a Versys would be a better match to the DMC Enduro sidecar IMO. The Versys has another 20+ hp on tap over the KLR! The Enduro sidecar is very light tho - I wouldn't want to fit that to a heavier bike than that.

Re the Rhino liner, it is a rougher finish for sure, but it's not sharp edged feeling, or abrasive. It's pretty thick and a little rubbery. Seems to be wearing well so far. Good deal for the $100 I paid to get it sprayed... if it continues to hold up well.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:30 AM   #6
Pugsley/Hobbfather
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Fairing racks

Hey there. Just wondering if the fairing protector/rollover/luggage racks on the fairing are a custom job or something easily acquired?
Thanks!
(subscribed)
Pugsley/Hobbfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:45 AM   #7
GreatWhiteNorth OP
Beastly Adventurer

TCI Products

They're from these guys: https://tciproductsusa.com/index.php...0880f96a422288

Instead of using their windshield, I used some Lord rubber mounts I'd had lying around, and I cut down a spare Goldwing windshield I also had leftover. Not the prettiest setup, but darned effective, and easy on-off.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:52 AM   #8
Pugsley/Hobbfather
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks!

Awesome thanks!
Old 08-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #9
Murf2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
Love your bike. Could you post some close-ups of the seat set-up in the sidecar and maybe tell us what you did there?

Thanks, Murf
Murf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
GreatWhiteNorth OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ask & ye shall receive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2 View Post
Love your bike. Could you post some close-ups of the seat set-up in the sidecar and maybe tell us what you did there?

Thanks, Murf
Took a couple of detail shots for you. The sidecar was delivered with a steel pedestal seat... which I replaced with the bucket seat. You can see what the stock pedestal seat looks like here: http://www.dmcsidecars.com/sidecars/enduro/

I bought a used fibreglas reinforced nylon type racing bucket seat, and bolted that in place thru the diamond plate aluminum floor. Each corner has two hockey pucks (Canadian Tire spec!) under it to space the seat higher. I sourced some new bolts (appropriate length & thread dia), used large fender washers under the head to spread the load, and (very important IMO) used Locktite to secure the bolts into the threaded inserts in the chair bottom. You'll notice the rear ammo can is bolted thru two 10 lb weights for added ballast... and of course there is that 1.5 gallon Kolpin gas can also providing a little additional weight. The seat is pretty low, and the monkey (my wife) is reasonably well protected behind that windshield... although she says the wind curls back around pretty quick. For her the seat is too far rearward, but for a 6 footer (me), perfectly located. The seat had a 5 point safety harness, but I never installed it - a passenger is pretty nicely settled in and surrounded in there as is.

GreatWhiteNorth screwed with this post 08-11-2012 at 02:04 PM
GreatWhiteNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:37 AM   #11
Pugsley/Hobbfather
Gnarly Adventurer

'nother question:

Got another one for you...what's the rocker switch under your left leg? Just a convenient place to locate a switch? Or is it visible when you get off so you remember to turn off some accessory?

Trying to gather ideas is all...
Old 08-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #12
GreatWhiteNorth OP
Beastly Adventurer

Power to the front panel

I've got a few switches on the dash. This switch directs power forward to a relay for the halogen light on the sidecar... and a cigarette adaptor power port I used for the GPS (which died on the trip). The switch is lighted so I can see when I've left it on.