User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #16
Tangai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Art Form

Mounting tires is an art and maybe the most physically demanding of all art forms. I was taught back in the 70s by Leroy Winters. Leroy was National Enduro champion, an ISDT rider and my boss at a Honda dealership. Everybody who worked at Leroy’s changed tires his way or got another job. He taught me how to change tires fast and without pinching the tube, so I could do so in Enduro. I’ve changed hundreds of tire since then, many in Enduros (and a few hare-scrambles) and even more for other riders out on the trail.

Everyone here has given some good advice. Soapy water is NOT good, because it’s not slick enough and because too much of it stays inside the tire which later corrodes the spoke nipples, valve steam and even the inside of the aluminum wheel. WD40 is wonderful for mounting tires. It’s slick enough and later dries and leaving the tire sticky so it doesn’t slip on the rim, and it’s good for the spokes, valve steam and wheel.

After the tire is mounted (I assume it has a tube in it) you need to inflate it some, maybe 40lbs and with the valve core removed from the steam. Then release all the air. Do this a few time to make sure the tube is not caught under the tire somewhere. Then with the wheel on the floor (on top of a towel) place you knees on the tire—and your weight—where the tire was popping out on the rim the most. Force the tire in there, this will make the other side (where the tire will not pop out) come out. Look in there, where it won’t pop out and make sure the tube is not caught between the tire and wheel. With your knees pressing down on the tire as described above, inflate the tire (again without the valve core installed). You may have to do this a few time and add more WD40 in the problem area. Once it pops out, you can install the valve core quickly before it deflates.

I wouldn't ride it and hope it will pop out, unless frustration leaves you with no other choice. If the tube [is] caught between the tire and wheel, you be riding back with a flat.

Good luck!

Tangai screwed with this post 08-06-2012 at 08:00 PM
Tangai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #17
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor View Post
I hate Heidenau tires...
I'm pretty good at mounting tires, but these things are just too tight.
I've bent tire irons, broken beads, and scratched the hell out of my rims...
I won't use them any more.

Q~
Thanks for mentioning that, Q-- I've been considering them, but I have all the problems I need changing tires.

I'll stick with the Mefo's, I guess.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #18
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
I hate Heidenau tires...

Q~

Same here...Felt like a good workout at the gym when I was done.
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #19
JohnnyWaffles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangai View Post
Mounting tires is an art and maybe the most physically demanding of all art forms. I was taught back in the 70s by Leroy Winters. Leroy was National Enduro champion, an ISDT rider and my boss at a Honda dealership. Everybody who worked at Leroy’s changed tires his way or got another job. He taught me how to change tires fast and without pinching the tube, so I could do so in Enduro. I’ve changed hundreds of tire since then, many in Enduros (and a few hare-scrambles) and even more for other riders out on the trail.

Everyone here has given some good advice. Soapy water is NOT good, because it’s not slick enough and because too much of it stays inside the tire which later corrodes the spoke nipples, valve steam and even the inside of the aluminum wheel. WD40 is wonderful for mounting tires. It’s slick enough and later dries and leaving the tire sticky so it doesn’t slip on the rim, and it’s good for the spokes, valve steam and wheel.

After the tire is mounted (I assume it has a tube in it) you need to inflate it some, maybe 40lbs and with the valve core removed from the steam. Then release all the air. Do this a few time to make sure the tube is not caught under the tire somewhere. Then with the wheel on the floor (on top of a towel) place you knees on the tire—and your weight—where the tire was popping out on the rim the most. Force the tire in there, this will make the other side (where the tire will not pop out) come out. Look in there, where it won’t pop out and make sure the tube is not caught between the tire and wheel. With your knees pressing down on the tire as described above, inflate the tire (again without the valve core installed). You may have to do this a few time and add more WD40 in the problem area. Once it pops out, you can install the valve core quickly before it deflates.

I wouldn't ride it and hope it will pop out, unless frustration leaves you with no other choice. If the tube [is] caught between the tire and wheel, you be riding back with a flat.

Good luck!
Just copied and pasted your post. I have a little motorcycle notes file for when I get a bike. Just on the basics like this.
JohnnyWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #20
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Question about WD-40: Don't petroleum products rot rubber?

Old 08-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #21
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,822
Quote:
I hate Heidenau tires...

Q~
They sure are tight....No more so than Metzelers...Your doing summin wrong to fook tyre irons and rims. Euro/UK army use on all bikes. Tight is good.

70 psi under a heavey blanket...deflate...reflate....job done.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:49 PM   #22
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
Thanks for mentioning that, Q-- I've been considering them, but I have all the problems I need changing tires.

I'll stick with the Mefo's, I guess.
Heidenue are made by Mefo...........
Old 08-07-2012, 01:19 AM   #23
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post
Heidenue are made by Mefo...........
That may well be, but it probably won't affect my decision on what tires I'll buy unless the actual Mefo tires become as hard to mount up as the Heidenau's apparently are.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:04 AM   #24
Swedan
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I have the same problems.
150/70-18
Hard like hell. Over 7bar to plopp it out.
Whery hard to bend it over the rim.
Think i got a 17" to a 18" rim
Sorry for my bad english but i trying...
Swedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:20 AM   #25
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedan View Post
Sorry for my bad english but i trying...
You're getting your point across just fine, and welcome, by the way.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #26
DirtClaudeKilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
I also use RuGYLDE, it is available at your local autoparts store, put it in a spray bottle and be liberal with the application, it will help with the installation and seating of the bead.

I recently installed a K60 on the rear and was expecting a war. It actually went on pretty easy. I left the tire in the sun for a little while, used a lot of lube and made sure the bead was in the well. Use your wife's credit cards to protect the rims from the tire irons and you'll have a clean installation.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #27
Tangai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
Question about WD-40: Don't petroleum products rot rubber?
Yes and no. For the same reason WD-40 makes a terrible chain lube, it doesn't hurt rubber.
Tangai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #28
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangai View Post
For the same reason WD-40 makes a terrible chain lube, it doesn't hurt rubber.
Odd.

I get enough petroleum distillate aroma at work (drilling mud has lots of diesel in it), so I'll probably avoid it even so.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:17 PM   #29
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
My 140 k60 never popped, leading to another thread on the ever-useful OC. It is seated evenly and has not given me problems in several thousand miles. I blamed the no-pop on there being as much pressurized air in the bead area as in the tube, due to the vast quantities of soap, water windex mixture I threw at it, so it just eased itself in there. I had to unseat it and reseat it to prove it was ok. Don't know if my theory is bunk but it made me sleep easier, especially after reading other inmates had no pop as well.
Sounds like yours is not right though, not if it looks all goofy. There should be a line in the rubber that is even with the rim all the way round on both sides.
Old experience on a KLR I was trying to seat with a plastic hand pump on a hot day in Greece...it took a short ride to get it to pop in.
Just installed new Heidi K60 enduro on the front of my 990 and experienced the same problem with getting the bead to seat. Had mine with tons of lube tried WD40 then pledge and 100 psi in a warm basement would not pop,deflated and inflated dozen times still no pop. Used a rubber hammer no success. Checked out the tire all around seems to be seated. Finally re-installed back on bike . Never had a problem seating the bead on a tire,usually took about 60lbs to seat.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:45 PM   #30
kkm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
No problem on my 990 getting the Heidenau seated. But what the hell are we going to do when we get a flat with these tires. The stock rear tire was easy but the K60 may take some time.
Kevin
2006 KTM 525EXC
2004 KTM 525EXC
kkm is offline   Reply With Quote