Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #31
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,536
On a very stiff tire that you can't get the bead to seat. Try to take a wratchet strap around the perimeter of the tire and slowly tighten the strap. The sidewalls will be pushed outward towards the rim. Then blast a shot of air into the tire without the Schrader valve in place. If your compressor can't let air flow fast enough into your tire go to a tire store like Town Fair. Ask for a shot from the cheetah. It is a tank that depleats air very quickly into the tire and expands the beads.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:25 PM   #32
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Seal View Post
On a very stiff tire that you can't get the bead to seat. Try to take a wratchet strap around the perimeter of the tire and slowly tighten the strap. The sidewalls will be pushed outward towards the rim. Then blast a shot of air into the tire without the Schrader valve in place. If your compressor can't let air flow fast enough into your tire go to a tire store like Town Fair. Ask for a shot from the cheetah. It is a tank that depleats air very quickly into the tire and expands the beads.
Tried the strap idea as well but really works better with tubeless tires, and also in a tire with a tube in it you want to be careful of how quick you dump air in, when filling slowly it gives the tube a chance to unkink and establish its position in the tire. But yes I have used the strap method and quick air dump in tubeless tires to good effect.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:58 AM   #33
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkm View Post
No problem on my 990 getting the Heidenau seated. But what the hell are we going to do when we get a flat with these tires. The stock rear tire was easy but the K60 may take some time.
Kevin
I'm an intermediate tire changer at best... and I haven't had issues with any of my Heidenaus. Some cursing and fighting in the garage, like with about any tire, and it goes on. Fill it up with the compressor till it pops, and it's done. If I remember right, it took about 50-60 PSI to pop.

I've had a pinch flat on the rear K60, and didn't have an issue at all on the side of the road. Broke the bead with another bike's kickstand, popped it off with a couple small tire irons, patched it, and put it back on. My little tiny compressor took forever to get up to the 50-60 PSI needed to pop it back on, but eventually it got there, and it popped. The patch leaked, and I had to repeat the process again that day, and then the next day to install a new tube. But never an issue. Next time I may try the fill it up to 40 PSI and ride it around the block method, to save the 15 minutes of extra pumping.

In any case, I've mounted 3 rear and 2 front K60's, and never had an issue.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:04 AM   #34
ABuck99

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbusa View Post
Just installed new Heidi K60 enduro on the front of my 990 and experienced the same problem with getting the bead to seat. Had mine with tons of lube tried WD40 then pledge and 100 psi in a warm basement would not pop,deflated and inflated dozen times still no pop. Used a rubber hammer no success. Checked out the tire all around seems to be seated. Finally re-installed back on bike . Never had a problem seating the bead on a tire,usually took about 60lbs to seat.
100psi?? your very lucky it didn't explody

The fronts don't really "pop" they simply slide into place. Check the bead to see that it's consistent around the rim. The front should go on quite easy, it's the rears that give challenge.

REAR
Home installers: Murphy's oil soap is a good lube, it's virtually the same as the Murphy's paste tire shops use- with some fragrance, and can be found about anywhere- it's a basic soap/ lube that will work fine, and eventually dries with out damage to rim or rubber. Warm the Heidi in the sun or with a gentle application of heat from a hair drier or heat gun just enough to soften it-( low heat not high heat) Make sure to lube inside and outside of the tire beads, as well as the rim outside and the flat area between rim lip and drop center. First side should go on easily, then the last 1/4 of the second side will give challenge- make sure you push the opposite side of the tire down into the drop center using a knee- kickstand, or a lever- this will allow the last bit of bead a little more slack to slip on the rim. Now spray some water or Murphy's solution all around both sides of the bead and inflate. Somewhere between 40-50 psi should seat it.

If it doesn't seat after 50 psi you haven't used enough lube-deflate- add more spray and retry.

I have found a few Heidi's rears to have high spots making balancing impossible, check your run out from the center of the tire if you are having balance issues.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:03 PM   #35
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABuck99 View Post
100psi?? your very lucky it didn't explody

The fronts don't really "pop" they simply slide into place. Check the bead to see that it's consistent around the rim. The front should go on quite easy, it's the rears that give challenge.

REAR
Home installers: Murphy's oil soap is a good lube, it's virtually the same as the Murphy's paste tire shops use- with some fragrance, and can be found about anywhere- it's a basic soap/ lube that will work fine, and eventually dries with out damage to rim or rubber. Warm the Heidi in the sun or with a gentle application of heat from a hair drier or heat gun just enough to soften it-( low heat not high heat) Make sure to lube inside and outside of the tire beads, as well as the rim outside and the flat area between rim lip and drop center. First side should go on easily, then the last 1/4 of the second side will give challenge- make sure you push the opposite side of the tire down into the drop center using a knee- kickstand, or a lever- this will allow the last bit of bead a little more slack to slip on the rim. Now spray some water or Murphy's solution all around both sides of the bead and inflate. Somewhere between 40-50 psi should seat it.

If it doesn't seat after 50 psi you haven't used enough lube-deflate- add more spray and retry.

I have found a few Heidi's rears to have high spots making balancing impossible, check your run out from the center of the tire if you are having balance issues.
Good tips. Yes I was a wee bit concerned about the 100 psi even with my safety glasses on. And I came to the same conclusion that the bead just slid in with no pop. Anyways I have over 200 kms since then and the tire feels fine. And yes the rear Heidi's are very nasty to install. Very tough sidewalls.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:30 PM   #36
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Heat 'em and lube 'em up and they mount easy
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:55 AM   #37
Yascher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Had multiple tube fixes with these on the road, used a small bicycle handpump and that was it, no probs. It takes 3 tire irons and a spray of wd40 for getting these on and off with ease.
Yascher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #38
Oldebonz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Talking

Lots of proper info,the Motion Pro really works for bead breaking,lube,lube,lube,MUST get bead deep into center of rim opposite of where you are levering,put a little air into tube to keep from pinching tube and watch carefully as you lever on.I hate prying,Motion Pro I think has an aluminum solid pipe with a notch,you get it in place and hammer sideways to get the final bit over the edge,works well can sometimes use your heel to get the last little bit over rim without pinching tube after all that work.Lots of lube,50-60 psi to seat bead,can use a hot air gun to warm tire first.An old trick ISDT riders used to use to do sub 3min. Tire changes was to mount the trued wheel on a lathe and shave off about 4-5mm,one side of the rim edge made things much easier!On our enduro bikes for mud we used 2 rim locks on back and one in front,made tire changes REALLY difficult but allowed 6-8 front,4-5psi rear for good mud traction without pulling a valve stem.Never use the little nut on the valve stem,heavy throttle or braking can move the tire on the rim.No nut allows some movement before stem rips off tube.
Oldebonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #39
sonoran
subsonic

Oddometer: 21,556
Well add me to the list of riders who've struggled with the Heidenau in the field. Picked up a nail yesterday 40 miles from nowhere. Luckily I had my bead breaker tool with me or I'd never been able to get it off. Tried mightily with spoons, kickstand, feet and all I broke was a sweat.

If you're gonna run this tire, carry a bead breaker (and remember to apply anti-seize to the bolt)

the sun does not have no prisoners
sonoran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #40
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider.deano View Post
Heat 'em and lube 'em up and they mount easy
Yes that works very well, probably the heat part more than the lube at least to fit, nice and flexi we haven't had an issue ....haven't done one in the freezing cold yet but the warm mounts have been no harder than other tires we have used.

We just stuck em in the sun an hour before we wanted to do the job

Just spent the last of the back one yesterday at 22000 km, rocks gave it a hiding

....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:14 PM   #41
Martynho
ChileGringo

Oddometer: 400
Guilty!

Partially guilty your honour, I led him off the straight and narrow (It was twisty, rocky and narrow )

Just spent the last of the back one yesterday at 22000 km, rocks gave it a hiding

[/QUOTE]

Martynho screwed with this post 03-24-2014 at 03:20 PM
Martynho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:30 PM   #42
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Mounted two sets without incident, on a Tenere.
Another inmate also on a Tenere has mounted two sets.
Most of the trick is to keeping the opposite bead on the inner part of the rim.
I use only Dawn and water in a spray bottle.
They have always balanced and seated without to much weight or air pressure.
I like them and will continue to use them until someone shows me better.

We both have our own tire machines his a NoMar mine a Coats.
WRW9751 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #43
EZ300
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
I got a flat tire on the Dempster last year running a Heidenau.
I replaced the tube and set the bead no problem. Of course I estimate that I ran about 10+ miles on it with it flat and had no idea. It was nice and pliable by the time I realized it was flat.

PS,... a little dish soap make everything easier!

2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
www.rockstarsmc.com
EZ300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:35 PM   #44
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ300 View Post
I got a flat tire on the Dempster last year running a Heidenau.
I replaced the tube and set the bead no problem. Of course I estimate that I ran about 10+ miles on it with it flat and had no idea. It was nice and pliable by the time I realized it was flat.

PS,... a little dish soap make everything easier!

Same experience on Grey Creek Pass last year. 60 psi to set the bead but can be done Lube is key, and next time I'll use more.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Lycan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:04 AM   #45
Surfdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Any Good News...

Can someone tell something good about these tires...

Someone has to have had or having good use of these tires ?????