User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #16
ALinUTAH OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Day 8

Elk City, Magruder corridor, Shoup, panther creek. 200 miles.

I was only about 20 miles from Elk City, so I didn't even make coffee, instead just packed up and headed to town for a good breakfast. I love a couple cups of joe in camp in the morning, but the granola bars and dried fruit weren't sounding as good as some bacon and eggs. As soon as I pulled into town I noticed that my front tire was flat, so I fixed that first.

Elk City

After breakfast and fuel-up, I rode east into the Magruder corridor. This road is a vehicle right-of-way that was established when the Selway-Bitterroot wilderness to the north and the Frank Church/River of No Return wilderness to the south were designated. The western third is smooth gravel, it becomes rough and rocky thru the middle third, then smooth again and even some pavement on the east end after you cross the middle fork of the clearwater river.

I saw around 10 pickups, and a group of 5 guys on ATVs that were each pulling trailers loaded with camping equipment. They had parked over by Conner, MT, ridden to the west end, and were headed back east.

More big views of the wilderness areas.

There was a fire burning in Salamander creek.

One good ole boy I rode past had an interesting grill guard.

I rode into Montana for a little ways then turned south past Painted Rocks lake back into Idaho towards the Salmon river. There was a big burn here last fall, and another one was burning just east of here a couple weeks ago.

At Shoup I stopped to see if he had any gas. Nope. That was okay, I didn't really need it, I just hate to pass it up if it's there. So I asked if he had anything to eat. He said he could make me a pizza. That sounded good to me. He made me one of the best homemade pizzas I've ever had, handmade dough, heavy on the tomatoes, light on the cheese, with pepperoni and fresh basil. I washed it down with a Bud. He was jamming out to Joni Mitchell back in the kitchen, so we discussed her music and what a shame it was to lose Jaco Pastorius at such an early age.

I grabbed an extra Bud to go and headed up panther creek to find a place to bed down for the night.

ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #17
ALinUTAH OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 9-10

Well I started this thing I guess I should finish it.

Challis, Blackfoot, Soda Springs, Hardware Ranch, home stretch. 350+180 miles

Woke up on panther creek, made coffee, a half dozen elk wandered by across the river while I had breakfast.

I rode up panther creek, over the pass and down to hwy 93. At the pass I saw the first ADV riders in the entire trip, going the other way. Over 2000 miles and only 2 other guys out in all that country. Amazing. Since I couldn't get gas at Shoup, I had to go down to Challis. I originally thought I would ride the back side of the lost river range, down Pahsimeroi valley, but since I had to go to Challis I just rode 93 all the way to Arco. It's purdy on this side too.

After a mediocre burger at the pickle cafe, I got off the highway and made my way to Blackfoot thru the desert and Atomic City. The dustdevils were in full attack mode.

At Blackfoot I rode SE up the blackfoot river to Soda Springs.

Gas and a little snack break at Soda Springs, then south up eightmile canyon, then a little slab to Mink Creek where I picked up dirt again heading south. I had a heckuva time finding a place to camp, and it was getting dark on me when I came to a campground that was a freaking madhouse, but had one spot left, so I took it. I don't think I've ever seen such a mob scene at a campground. Or maybe that's how they always are. I'm not much of a campground person. Of course, the next morning I found a dozen empty campsites 5 miles up the road.

Last day. I rode south, crossed hwy 89 and continued south towards hardware ranch. Some of the forest roads in Utah are in terrible shape compared to Idaho. Somebody seems to think that the way to maintain them is to drag a ripper thru them and pull all the babyheads up out of the ground and let them roll around on the surface loose. It's like that in a lot of Utah

Anyway, the terrain started looking like home again, more quakies.

Hardware ranch is known for its elk, but there are also a lot of antelope.

After some lunch at Chris' Cafe near Pineview reservoir, I rode thru Morgan canyon and snuck thru the back door of Jeremy Ranch towards home. Civilization again. I had mixed feelings about it.

Home again.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #18
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,185
Well done

Your ride is well done, a good story with great pics, I've enjoyed it.
windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #19
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Thumb

Excellent post and pic's. I have'nt been in that country for a while, I miss it. I've fished there quite a bit too.
7600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #20
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,116
Well it looks to me like you had one hell of a great ride. I just come down alot of that country a few days behind you. Warren Bridge was indeed closed.

Glad you enjoyed our playground... we have good fishing too.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:25 PM   #21
ALinUTAH OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks everybody. It was a lot of fun. Next time Montana I think. We'll see.

Hey Sam, I would live in Idaho if I could. Maybe I will some day. Did I bump into you guys at the Lowell cafe, looking at the ducati monster with ktm legs? Maybe that was somebody else. We should ride sometime. -al
Old 08-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #22
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinUTAH View Post
Thanks everybody. It was a lot of fun. Next time Montana I think. We'll see.

Hey Sam, I would live in Idaho if I could. Maybe I will some day. Did I bump into you guys at the Lowell cafe, looking at the ducati monster with ktm legs? Maybe that was somebody else. We should ride sometime. -al
If was at the restaurant then probably.

Aldous Huxley
Old 08-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #23
ALinUTAH OP
Studly Adventurer

After reading your last entry on your RR, I think maybe it was your buddies looking for you. It would have been last Wednesday. Helluva place to run out of gas. -al
Old 08-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #24
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Quote:
After reading your last entry on your RR, I think maybe it was your buddies looking for you. It would have been last Wednesday. Helluva place to run out of gas. -al
Yup! that's sounds about right, we ate there Wednesday morning. I may have seen your bike. Small world.

Aldous Huxley
Old 08-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #25
Lima Tango
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:

I didn't ride on day 3, other than just a little puttering around the local logging roads. Mainly we just slept late then sat on the porch all day drinking Coronas. We covered all the W topics, including women, wolves and wankers in Washington. But I think we got all the world's problems solved.

That's good writing right there.

Enjoyed the the pics too. Idaho always a good place for generating RRs!

LT
Lima Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #26
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Thanks for the ride.

I never have mixed feelings about golf courses.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #27
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,216
Great write up and pics, looks like a great trip, nice to see it done on a little capable 250 as well. good job.
150ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #28
SWbySWXJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Thanks for giving me something to read at work
SWbySWXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #29
ALinUTAH OP
Studly Adventurer

About the might 250. It's a little bike, doesn't make much power, definitely not a highway cruiser. Loaded down with camp, tools and fuel, and my yellow air brakes deployed, 60mph is top speed. Those saddlebags make a lot of drag on a bike that is at its limit already. But for this kind of trip it's all the bike I need. I'm lucky that I can tour all over the west on dirt roads right from my driveway. I rarely exceed 40mph. Most of the time it's more like 20-30. The mighty 250 is plenty of bike for that. In fact, doing it on a little bike is a big part of the whole point for me. Sorta like salmon fishing with a 5wt rod when most people would be using something much bigger. Touring on a 250 is kinda like backpacking, as opposed to cruising in a diesel-pusher coach. And 70mpg is really nice. I wish somebody would make a big tank for this bike, tho, it would be one less thing to strap on the back. -al
Old 01-07-2013, 11:27 PM   #30
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Nice Ride Report. Well done on the little Yamaha! Like your perspective on how the smaller bike works so well for off-road touring! Ride safe out there.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote