Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
Bite OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Lower back pain from injury.. Riding helps with the pain.....

Hey ppl... ! 2010 I injured my back carrying cement buckets. I ruptured 2 disk t12-l1 & t5, 2 bludging disks l4 & l5 and my main pain is facets that at l-4 &l-5. After 8 months of endless core exercises. Now and then. I get on my 800gs and ride long distances the pain goes away. I have a custom seat. I still can't go for a jog or dance or riding my mtn bike (bumps), and even riding a car I have problems. My x-doc says go for it. So I'm wondering if anyone has had the same experience?
I just got back from and 250mi trip and minimal pain for 48hrs or so. Now the beast is coming back.. I need a go for a ride

-Share- Please Bite

Bite screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 05:53 PM Reason: Love
Bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
amknightrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
riding helps back pains

i too have a herniated L5 and 59 years of wear and tear on the rest of the spine. riding is the most comfortable mode of travel for me also. automobiles kill my back after about 100 miles. i can ride anyone of my bikes even the sportstourer 6 to 7 hundred mile days with no ill pains. i think the dispersing of the body weight on multiple areas (butt,legs & hands) are the reason. in an auto the spine takes all the pressure. if it works for us as i know it does for many of my friends,so be it. alan
amknightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bite View Post
Hey ppl... ! 2010 I injured my back carrying cement buckets. I ruptured 2 disk t12-l1 & t5, 2 bludging disks l4 & l5 and my main pain is facets that at l-4 &l-5. After 8 months of endless core exercises. Now and then. I get on my 800gs and ride long distances the pain goes away. I have a custom seat. I still can't go for a jog or dance or riding my mtn bike (bumps), and even riding a car I have problems. My doc says go for it. He said the beast will flair and then you will have to deal with it. So I'm wondering if anyone has had the same experience?
I just got back from and 500mi trip and minimal pain for 48hrs or so. Now the beast is coming back.. I need a go for a ride

-Share- Please Bite

I burst my L5-S1 about 15 months ago. I had terrible sciatica, which required painkillers in order for me to sleep at all. I was out of work for two weeks, and couldn't walk very far at all without excruciating pain.

Bed: Pain. Chair: Pain.

Riding my Tiger 1050: Not too bad!

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
This reminds me of Peter Egan and his R100RS therapy machine for his bad back.
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
I'm 68 & have seen my fair share back pain drs. Only one said to ride, but "try to not ride into surprises". Thought about that for a day or so & had to laugh & still laugh a bit.

Riding, actual on the scoot & moving is not an issue. But catching the damn beast at a stop or parking lot setting was a near killer.
My riding was as much for my head getting cleared as for pain management. The VStrom & r12gs once a day or as needed, were my selfprescribed dosages.

Sure not going to tell anyone to "go for it". I still find myself thinking & behaving in a way "not ride into surprises".

ride in a healing manner, my term for the day.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
tokyoklahoma
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,166
Eek L4-5 fused

I've had degenerative disc disease since college, and had L4-5 fused in 2000. I woke-up from surgery a partial para, and have had constant pain including sciatic pain since then.
Riding in a car is worse than driving, riding a bike is much better than driving a car. The riding position has a lot to do with that IMHO. Riding a standard is easier on me than riding a cruiser also, something about feet-forward just puts pressure in the wrong place.
Plus since I have limited use of my feet, the hand controls of a bike are much easier to use than the clutch/accelerator in a car.

The only issues I have are getting my feet on the pegs after a stop, and using the foot brake. And timing my rides for when my pain patches are not peaking in strength.

But as for riding making the pain go away....DAMN I WISH!!!

Edited to add: Find a good massage therapist, they are worth their weight in gold.

tokyoklahoma screwed with this post 08-01-2012 at 09:55 PM
tokyoklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
thehomealien
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Happiness makes pain go away.

thehomealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #8
Falconx84
Lurker

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehomealien View Post

That and focus... Or at least I believe its the case with me. I have scoliosis and a compression fracture. I used to work EMS and do search and rescue but the back pain keeps me from it. Riding helps me feel like I'm still on the edge, honing a skill that a lot of people can't or won't do. Focusing on the ride and anticipating problems and the next curve keeps me sharp.

Funny how my "orthopedic" desk chair hurts after an hour, but 200 miles on the strom and I'm trying to figure on where to go next.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
Phlemdog
The Nuclear Option

Oddometer: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
This reminds me of Peter Egan and his R100RS therapy machine for his bad back.
First thing I thought of.

It's the particular stretch that you put your body in when you sit on the bike.
Phlemdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #10
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
I too have a herniated disc at L4-L5! Yeah, lots of people do. Mine also happened carrying full 5gallon buckets of mud (mortar) just as I stepped through a door.

It hurt so bad I couldn't make a sound. Was quite the chore getting in my truck an hour later. . This was in 1994

The best thing you can do stay active, and lose weight if you have any you don't need.

I was 215 6'4" and had spasm episodes on a regular basis. Every 8-12 months, from 94 on.

The pain would build for 2 weeks, then hold for a week and take 2 weeks to subside.

I quit drinking large amounts of soda, ate NO fast food french fries, and drove past the donut shop every other day. I dropped a couple pound a week.

That was 12 years ago when I lost the extra weight and shit you not, I have only had 4 or so said spasm episodes since losing said weight.

I couldn't sit trough a movie and had to stand most of the time. It makes people nervous.

It's just a win all around being lighter.

I was just tired of the pain, and thought it might help, and can't hurt.

Was 215, then whittled down to 175. I figured 175 would climb back up to 180-185. I'm 190 now.

Muscle or fat, whatever the weight above your injuries is, it affects you for sure. Wean yourself off of back supports also
If you use one.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:07 AM   #11
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 3,174
Lower back pain here too.
A big +1 on weight loss. I was 267# two years ago and needed the handrail for stairs.
Now 220# @ 6', my goal is just under 200#.

Google TENS unit. It can kill pain w/o the side effects of drugs. Mine gets packed for rode trips.
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:10 AM   #12
leejosepho
Sure, I can do that!

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehomealien View Post

Definitely helps, but the brewskies were also killing me!

I do not know all the fine details of my back trouble that is now part of my being on SSDI, but my riding position has always been my most-comfortable over all ... and was even great during my recovery after a hemmorhoidectomy!
Old 08-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #13
PopQuiz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Same here

Just getting back to riding after a 21 year hiatus. I ruptured a disc when I was about 25 and once healed it was great until I hit 35. Since then it has been 10 years of periods of intense pain (unable to sit/walk) followed by a couple weeks of really bad pain, followed by periods of mild pain (degenerated disc injury). Anyway, after being off a motorbike for about 21 years I just went through a great safety/traffic course to a) see if I could ride without a lot of pain and b) to get used to riding again and learn some new habits/unlearn some old ones. Surprisingly, after a full week of riding my back feels great....I think it is the position and the fact that you are always moving a bit...the worst thing I find is sitting still in a chair or driving a car (especially a standard, which I have)

I am pretty happy and now will be buying a new bike and getting back to something I loved...new KTM Adv. in my future
PopQuiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #14
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,731
inversion tables, $50 bucks on craigslist.

5 minutes a day, no more back pain. good for twisting, stretching and abdominal crunches.

bomber1965 screwed with this post 08-19-2012 at 02:50 PM
bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:33 AM   #15
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,278
Yeah, in incredible pain, about to be hospitalized, crawled out to the bike for one last ride (and I mean crawled).

By the time I got back I was feeling a lot better, cancelled the hospital and just got better.

One of the reasons I don't take care much about the risk factors of riding, so far it's given me twenty more years .... if I get turned into road-pizza by a semi tomorrow I'm still ahead of the game.

Pete
PeterW is online now   Reply With Quote