Old 08-06-2012, 06:40 AM   #16
windmill OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Denim is not "all the gear".

Crash in it one time and you will see.
I've been down 4 times, hit twice by cars, hit a dog, and fresh tar, each time I was wearing jeans. Got a few minor abrasions, but no road rash.

Jeans are obviously not "gear", but they are not shorts either.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:56 AM   #17
VozProto
Type A ADD w/ OCD

Oddometer: 181
I'm torn here. Jeans are convenient but don't provide as much protection as I would like.

Anyone wear Draggin' Jeans? Anyone have experience with how they hold up?
Old 08-06-2012, 06:59 AM   #18
windmill OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post

I think what he is saying is you can't "go down" on a sidecar like on a 2 wheeler, so sliding while remotly possible is highly unlikely, like with ATV's impact is the main issue. The "ideal" gear for a sidecar would be lots of hard armor.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:03 AM   #19
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,438
102 degrees

Yesterday it was HOT. ATG was:

Triumph perforated Leather Jacket with all armor in in place and a long sleeve shirt soaked in water underneath.
Kevlar jeans with mess over pants armor in place
Gaerne boots,
Belstaff gloves,
Nolan N-43 helmet with a Klim hood soaked in water under helmet.

Great 250 mile ride through the Cascades in complete comfort.

I should have had my vented jacket instead of the perforated one. The perforated one vents too much for hot temps (over 95) and the shirt dries too quickly.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:56 AM   #20
atgatt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
I've been down 4 times, hit twice by cars, hit a dog, and fresh tar, each time I was wearing jeans. Got a few minor abrasions, but no road rash.

Jeans are obviously not "gear", but they are not shorts either.
Of course, people can wear (or not wear) whatever they wish. I am not preaching, just presenting some facts that I was unaware of until recently. That is, jeans (denim) disintegrate so quickly that IMHO, they are pretty much the equivalent of wearing shorts. We are talking 3-4 feet. Beyond preventing maybe a burn from your exhaust... jeans are pretty much a no-op. This data made me think twice about my son on the back of my bike wearing just jeans.

http://www.trainwreckstudios.net/abrasion/road.html
atgatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:25 AM   #21
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,125
Quote:
I think what he is saying is you can't "go down" on a sidecar like on a 2 wheeler, so sliding while remotly possible is highly unlikely, like with ATV's impact is the main issue. The "ideal" gear for a sidecar would be lots of hard armor.
I still don't see it. You certainly can tip a sidecar over and "go down". You can also get knocked off your sidecar.

None the less, this is no different than the other ATGATT thread and should be merged. People are ignoring to OPs question and just jumping into the pro'cons of ATGATT.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #22
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:

Ditto! And some of my skin abrasions looked better than some of the Guys who have shared pics after they went down while wearing "proper" protection.
I guess the end result has more to do with how good you are at braking and scrubbing off enough speed before you hit the tarmac to keep the sliding down to a minimum.

I think there's a fine balance between wearing enough that you feel "safe" vs being uncomfortable to the point that you'd rather not ride. (like when it's hot and humid)
If I were to be convinced that my life depended on wearing ATGATT and it wasn't worth the risk to ride without it, on days like We've had in my State lately = I'd go fishing instead.

I digress. Much like our diverse tastes in Bikes, to each his/her own. (I just enjoy making fun of neon michelin men!)
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #23
G.R.
Swimming Upstream!

Oddometer: 60
Batgatt???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
I prefer to use my skills instead and ride within them; part of which is identifying the hazards that can put you down on the road in the first place.

In the August 2012 Rider magazine there was an articled by Clement Salvadori entitled BATGATT...Brains and All The Gear All The Time.

I tried to find an online copy of it to post but I can't seem to find one. Anyways the main idea of the article is that our "Brain" is our most important tool in avoiding possible mishaps on the bike in the first place. To just gear up head to toe and then go out and ride without the right mindset doesn't really accomplish a whole lot.

I agreed with the article and I do ride with armored/textile pants/jacket, good helmet, riding boots & gloves myself but even more importantly I switch my brain over to "motorcycle mode" for a much more heightened sense of my surroundings, spacing and potential road hazards.
G.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #24
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post
If anyone wants to preach to me how dressing like the Michelin Man might help my chances when I hit an immovable object above 20mph = please include the valuable, convincing information on how it overcomes physics.
Unless that padding people talk about is over 2 feet of thick shock-absorbing foam...I fail to see how it's going to help.

Hammer Run crashes and a close call from Chris Shafer on Vimeo.

the last speed you can see on the video is upper 20's...

It didn't hurt _at_all_ and trust me I've hit shit allot faster. Now tell me how that would feel with out armor?
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #25
windmill OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I still don't see it. You certainly can tip a sidecar over and "go down". You can also get knocked off your sidecar.

None the less, this is no different than the other ATGATT thread and should be merged. People are ignoring to OPs question and just jumping into the pro'cons of ATGATT.

Jim
You can't low side on a sidecar, but you can flip one, if you do chances are you will be launched or it is going land on you. I'm not saying gear isn't nessary for a sidecar, just that it has different priorities.

I was hoping to get opinions on what is ATG, rather than the usual arguments, oh well.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #26
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
I was hoping to get opinions on what is ATG, rather than the usual arguments, oh well.
What's a minimum for "all the gear?" I'd go with the standard imposed by my workplace -- helmet, long sleeves, full-fingered gloves, long trousers, and boots that extend above the ankle. We've also got a requirement for a brightly colored upper garment during the day and reflective material at night, but I think those requirements are less frequently observed.

For me it's what I think will be sufficient protection for what I'll be doing at the time. It's always a helmet (full face is all I've got for now, but I may try one of those fancy Nolan 6-in-1 deals later) gloves of some sort, and a jacket, either leather or hi-viz mesh. I also always wear boots, though I go with all-leather combat boots instead of motorcycle-specific ones. If I'm riding on the highway I wear purpose-made riding pants or ovepants; around town I wear jeans or cargos over Bohn pants, or occasionally just jeans. That amount of gear is extremely unusual around here; I get some odd looks from other riders, particularly this time of year when it's hot.
abnslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #27
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Oddometer: 860
ATGATT to me means:

FF helmet with proper eye protection. Most of the time that includes ear plugs.

Jacket and pants with impact protection, good tear and abrasion resistance. I like mc specific clothing because it gives me room to move.

Gloves with impact and tear/abrasion resistance. A dual retention system is a must for me. Don't go cheap with gloves - the human body has more nerve endings in the hands than in the genital area.....

Boots with a grippy sole, low heel, maybe even some shin/ankle armor.

A downside to denim (aside from low tear/abrasion resistance) is that denim tends to "grab" the road surface, often times causing a crashing rider to tumble vice slide, which in turn can lead to (more) broken bones.

Give it more gas, if it doesn't solve the problem it will at least end the suspense.
TheWorstKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #28
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Some preach it, some scoff, but what is it?

Opinions seem to vary wildly, what one rider considers ATGATT another may consider it totally inadequate. Does gear have to be motorcycle specific to qualify as gear?
On a track, usually yes. On the road or trail, there can be different standards, especially if the law comes into it. In a state where nothing besides legal clothing and eye-protection is required...some kind of street-legal helmet, some kind of gloves that protect better than bare skin, long sleeves, long pants, and over-the-ankle closed-toe footwear could be considered ATG. Sure, a leather 1-piece fully-armored tracksuit, FF DOT/Snell helmet, leather race boots, and leather race gloves would be better, but the person wearing the minimum I described above would usually be considered "better protected" than somebody wearing just sunglasses, a bikini, and flip-flops.

Quote:
Does what and how a rider rides change what is adequate protection?
It can. I wear a bit more/better armor when riding offroad, generally on my chest and legs. On the street, my gear is more biased towards being abrasion-resistant.

Kommando screwed with this post 08-06-2012 at 12:06 PM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #29
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,904
Its been close to 100degrees all Summer so I've been riding FATGATT fuck all the gear all the time.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #30
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 760
For me:
Olympia jacket and pants
Tourmaster solution boots
Alpinestars AS2 gloves
Shoei Qwest Helmet.

If you had an off with a minimum of road rash (4 times) you got very lucky. If you've had real road rash, (large areas the same as a 2nd or 3rd degree burn) I guarantee you won't ever ride without abrasion protection again.

Experience is the best teacher.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote