ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #1
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Glendale, AZ to Crown King, AZ

Planning on doing a ride on New Years Day up to Crown King. I've never been out there and was wondering if anyone could give me some suggested routes or tips. I'm on a big bike and will have my girlfriend on as pillion so I don't want something too technical, but I've heard you can get there from either Lake Pleasant or I-17. I'd prefer the Lake Pleasant route as it seems a bit more adventurous than a hour of freeway riding but if it's too bumpy for me and the missus I'll go the traditional route. I was also wondering if it will be clear or covered in snow this time of year.

Thanks for any tips or any help!
Old 12-30-2013, 10:59 PM   #2
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,298
What kind of a big bike and how good of a rider are you?
I would not recommend the back way to Crown King (Lake Pleasant route) on a big bike with a passenger. I'm not saying it couldn't be done but it would be a challenge and she would probably have to walk in a couple of places. Take the easy route up I-17, get off at the Bumble Bee exit (248) and follow the signs. Easy stuff. If there will be any snow/ice, you shouldn't hit it until a mile before Crown King. Weather channel says a high of 56 for new years day so not too bad at all.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:32 AM   #3
sw3dl1
DR Don

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtKlod View Post
What kind of a big bike and how good of a rider are you?
I would not recommend the back way to Crown King (Lake Pleasant route) on a big bike with a passenger. I'm not saying it couldn't be done but it would be a challenge and she would probably have to walk in a couple of places. Take the easy route up I-17, get off at the Bumble Bee exit (248) and follow the signs. Easy stuff. If there will be any snow/ice, you shouldn't hit it until a mile before Crown King. Weather channel says a high of 56 for new years day so not too bad at all.
+1
I did the Lake Pleasant route to Crown King in 2003 on a BMW R1150gs Adventure with a passenger on the back. The road (trail) was a little rougher then. The bike was down three times. It was not fun. I have gotten a little smarter over the past 10 years (a little), I have done the ride on smaller bikes and ATV's several times since without problems. The road is better now then 10 years ago, but still not completely big bike friendly.
Do your wife a favor and take the front way, (I-17). She will appreciate it and it will save you some frustration.
sw3dl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:15 AM   #4
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,548
New Years day the back way probably covered with Quads Would probably go in from I 17. Tackle it solo on the back way another time & evaluate it then.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Sounds good folks, I shall take your advice as I enjoy having a good time, not an overly difficult one with a passenger. My bike is the one in my signature, 2013 R1200GSA Adventure. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-31-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
Kevinsterner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeid View Post
Sounds good folks, I shall take your advice as I enjoy having a good time, not an overly difficult one with a passenger. My bike is the one in my signature, 2013 R1200GSA Adventure. Thanks for the help!
If you want to add a little more dirt roads, you can head up to cave creek than on to seven springs. This turns into FR 24. This runs into FR 269 which is bloody basin rd which will take you to the interstate and then over to crown king road. This is all big bike friendly.
1981 Honda 750 F,1972 Yamaha 250, 1971 Hodaka
you can't fix stupid.
Kevinsterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:18 PM   #7
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 1,974
Length of ride

How long would you like to ride? There is another way up to Crown King that is big bike doable two up but you have to go through Wickenberg and up through Yarnell and then take Wagner Rd in. Alot of black top to get to Wagner Road unless you know all the dirt routes from Lake Pleasant and up the back way of Yarnell. Then you could come down the front way or vise versa. Let me know if you want GPS tracks I could get them to you. They have graded all the way up to Senator Hwy so it's pretty easy stuff.
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote