Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2012, 04:38 AM   #31
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Fuel pump arrives on Monday...We'll see.

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:07 AM   #32
SigPig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Hope you get it sorted. I know first hand how much of a PITA it is to be stranded.
SigPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #33
mickd
crash test dummie

Oddometer: 1,842
hi all
has any one put on a vortex to stop this bloody stalling issue we are all having,even my 2012 does it

I've just been to my first muslim birthday party. Musical chairs was a bit slow but F**k me, pass the parcel was bloody quick.
mickd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #34
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickd View Post
hi all
has any one put on a vortex to stop this bloody stalling issue we are all having,even my 2012 does it
The Vortex got rid of most stalling I had. The only stalling now was once when I was going slowly uphill on rocks and the bike was geared too high. Stalling then was not the fault bad fuel injection. The Vortex makes the engine run much stronger too. Pricey but nice. Not sure if they also work on the 2012 models.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:23 AM   #35
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
The Vortex got rid of most stalling I had. The only stalling now was once when I was going slowly uphill on rocks and the bike was geared too high. Stalling then was not the fault bad fuel injection. The Vortex makes the engine run much stronger too. Pricey but nice. Not sure if they also work on the 2012 models.
Vortex?

Please explain (or a link)... :)

Old 08-12-2012, 04:50 AM   #36
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
Vortex?

Please explain (or a link)... :)
http://esvc000160.wic015tu.server-we...-%20KTM690.htm

They`ve got em for the 2012 model also .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #37
690Emaf10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
If the pump is truely the issue a vortex isn't going to help it. If there are other underlying problems that the ecu is causing I can see the vortex solving all these problems.
690Emaf10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:59 AM   #38
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690Emaf10 View Post
If the pump is truely the issue a vortex isn't going to help it. If there are other underlying problems that the ecu is causing I can see the vortex solving all these problems.
Pump arrives today - I'll toss it in as soon as it gets here and go from there. I won't even consider the Vortex until the current issue is resolved. This whole business of stalling and not starting again is aging me prematurely...

Old 08-13-2012, 04:26 AM   #39
MORT666
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Plug cap.
MORT666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #40
690Emaf10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Can't wait to hear if this fixed it all up.
690Emaf10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #41
transplanted
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Could it be the thermo switch? I had the same exact issues. I have a 2010 690 SMC that I recently took to the US. Trailered to Kansas City, traveled through Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico. On interstates no problem, as soon as we get to a town, exit to get gas, or stop to pay to get through a National Forest it would stall. It would run hot, then cut out, although there was always two bars left. I figured, oh great - fuel pump, fuel injector, bad gas, RR, I didn't know where to start.

After being on I-80 for a couple of hours coming from the salt flats. I exited in Salt Lake City to get gas. The bike cut out at the exit ramp lights. After the bike cooled down, I was able to restart it. I let it heat up to see see if the fan actually worked. After getting to the last two bars the fan kicked in. I took a guess and thought that the thermoswitch was faulty and wasn't turning the fan on all the time, so the computer would kill the engine to protect it. I rigged a manual switch to turn the fan on. So whenever I needed to put around town, I turned the fan on just before it got to the last two bars. I had no stalls for the rest of my trip.
transplanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #42
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplanted View Post
Could it be the thermo switch? I had the same exact issues. I have a 2010 690 SMC that I recently took to the US. Trailered to Kansas City, traveled through Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico. On interstates no problem, as soon as we get to a town, exit to get gas, or stop to pay to get through a National Forest it would stall. It would run hot, then cut out, although there was always two bars left. I figured, oh great - fuel pump, fuel injector, bad gas, RR, I didn't know where to start.

After being on I-80 for a couple of hours coming from the salt flats. I exited in Salt Lake City to get gas. The bike cut out at the exit ramp lights. After the bike cooled down, I was able to restart it. I let it heat up to see see if the fan actually worked. After getting to the last two bars the fan kicked in. I took a guess and thought that the thermoswitch was faulty and wasn't turning the fan on all the time, so the computer would kill the engine to protect it. I rigged a manual switch to turn the fan on. So whenever I needed to put around town, I turned the fan on just before it got to the last two bars. I had no stalls for the rest of my trip.
My thermo switch seems to be working as designed (which is too high in my opinion). I've got a lower temp switch on order. Anyhow, I got the pump from ca cycle works today. I went to install it and the bike didn't start at all. After much frustration of checking each and every bolt and electrical connection and despite the pump working, I finally assumed that I must have a kink in one of the hoses inside the tank as I had to cram it all back in a bit. I took everythig apart again, stuck the pump assembly into a bucket of fuel and tried to start the bike only to realize then that I kinked the external fuel line so badly at the joint of the tank from pulling the tank up that I actually broke that quick connect plug on the fuel line ( the one going from the tank to the fuel injector). I called my local dealer to find out that replacement line was two weeks away if they order it so i decided to eliminate the quick disconnect altogether and ran a new fuel line from the tank to the injector with no disconnect in the middle. Once I did that and assembled the bike, it started right up and idled with no issues. I'll take it for a ride tomorrow to see if the stalling issue has gone away.

So...to date, I've done:
1 new aftermarket (napa) fuel filter inside the tank - the mesh screen was spotless
2 cleaned each and every electrical connection on and near the engine and tank
3 checked the spark plug and wire - all good and clean, no cuts in the wire
4 cleaned all ground points on the chassis
5 new battery - old one confirmed to be crap
6 checked stator and rectifier at cold and running temps - confiremd to be good
7 checked all throttle position sensor and other settings by dealer and confirmed to be good
8 dealer loaded stock original map
9 exchanged the fuel pump today
10 ran a new external fuel line
11 ran the 15 minute cold idle reset

Let's see how tomorrow goes...

Old 08-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #43
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

As an aside...12 I removed the rad fan and lined it's edges with felt where it rested against the radiator - nothing to do with the problem I've been having but since I was in there and had just about everything apart, it made sense to do some preventative work as well - I don't need to worry about it digging it's way into the rad fins as others have experienced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
My thermo switch seems to be working as designed (which is too high in my opinion). I've got a lower temp switch on order. Anyhow, I got the pump from ca cycle works today. I went to install it and the bike didn't start at all. After much frustration of checking each and every bolt and electrical connection and despite the pump working, I finally assumed that I must have a kink in one of the hoses inside the tank as I had to cram it all back in a bit. I took everythig apart again, stuck the pump assembly into a bucket of fuel and tried to start the bike only to realize then that I kinked the external fuel line so badly at the joint of the tank from pulling the tank up that I actually broke that quick connect plug on the fuel line ( the one going from the tank to the fuel injector). I called my local dealer to find out that replacement line was two weeks away if they order it so i decided to eliminate the quick disconnect altogether and ran a new fuel line from the tank to the injector with no disconnect in the middle. Once I did that and assembled the bike, it started right up and idled with no issues. I'll take it for a ride tomorrow to see if the stalling issue has gone away.

So...to date, I've done:
1 new aftermarket (napa) fuel filter inside the tank - the mesh screen was spotless
2 cleaned each and every electrical connection on and near the engine and tank
3 checked the spark plug and wire - all good and clean, no cuts in the wire
4 cleaned all ground points on the chassis
5 new battery - old one confirmed to be crap
6 checked stator and rectifier at cold and running temps - confiremd to be good
7 checked all throttle position sensor and other settings by dealer and confirmed to be good
8 dealer loaded stock original map
9 exchanged the fuel pump today
10 ran a new external fuel line
11 ran the 15 minute cold idle reset

Let's see how tomorrow goes...

Old 08-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #44
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,021
Good luck tomorrow! Hope the pump was the problem. Probably was.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #45
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Good luck tomorrow! Hope the pump was the problem. Probably was.

Thanks - I hope it's solved