User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #46
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 864
alon
put the napa filter in the place of the quick disconnect...........then its outside of the tank. one less thing in the tank
good luck
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #47
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
alon
put the napa filter in the place of the quick disconnect...........then its outside of the tank. one less thing in the tank
good luck
You know...I actually thought of doing just that but when I was looking for a suitable mounting spot for the filter, I couldn't come up with one that would ensure a reasonable spot with no risk of vapor lock from heat sources. That quick disconnect resides a mere few inches north of the exhaust - I didn't think that would be a good spot. The one area that I thought could work seems to be occupied by what looks to be a bike tip-over sensor, behind the starter.

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:51 AM   #48
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

Got busy with work and it rained all day yesterday - planning an all-afternoon/evening ride for today. Pray for me :)

Old 08-15-2012, 05:33 AM   #49
touser
canned fruit

Oddometer: 359
Well?
Old 08-15-2012, 06:09 AM   #50
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

I am planning a few hour long ride this afternoon - will update tonight...

Old 08-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #51
SigPig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
My 690 has been fine since the pump replacement. I hope you have the same result.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #52
690Emaf10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigPig View Post
My 690 has been fine since the pump replacement. I hope you have the same result.
Which pump did you use? Cycleworks, OEM or something else?
690Emaf10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:58 AM   #53
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

For those of you who are offended by the strategic use of crude profanity, please look away for a moment:

IT"S F@#KING FIXED ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I rode nearly 400km yesterday in mixed weather conditions (from hot and sunny to cool and rainy. On road from stop and go to highway riding, everything from sustained traffic to 140kph stints. Off road on dirt and gravel roads both slow and higher speeds. Not one single stall, the bike did not miss a single beat. Words cannot describe how happy I am - I have found the issue. Now, I'm not saying that this is the problem for everyone and some of it seems illogical to me given how well the bike would run for long periods of time on highway runs before and never displayed any symptoms until I was off the highway, in stop and go but I suppose that the pump is very fickle to power draw and heat (either self generated or the engine heat).

Yes, I used the CA Cycleworks pump kit. It was literally a direct bolt-in / replacement to the original pump unit. It came supplied with one section of injection fuel line that I used to replace the original section of plastic hose between the fule pump outlet and the inline fuel filter. I did this for two reasons:
1- the original line from the pump to the inline filter was pressed on over the pump's outlet (which is heavily barbed) and it was nearly impossible to back the original hose off the original pump
2- the original plastic hose seemed easily susceptible to kinking despite being designed with "ribs" to strengthen it - the replacement injection fuel line in 3/8" rubber is stronger (though a bit less flexible).

For anyone experiencing the symptoms described in this thread, I seriously encourage you to diagnose and rule out some of the obvious items such as the battery condition (for the cost of a battery and if your current battery is already a few years old, this is a no-brainer in my opinion). Yes, check all your electrical connections though I am now convinced that KTM has done a decent job designing "water and dust proofness" into the critical connections. Yes, check all your ground points, from the starter to the frame, from your battery's ground to the frame, etc, etc. Yes, check your spark plug and its wire and of course, check to make sure that your stator and rectifier are in working order. If all that seems good, I'll bet given my experience and the numerous other posts on this forum and others (www.ktmforum.co.uk www.ktmforums.com and www.thumpertalk.com) that the problem is the damn fuel pump. My local dealer shared with me that KTM has indeed acknowledged known issues with the fuel pump and yet, they were not prepared to swap mine out of warranty. They told me that they would have to apply to KTM with an appeal and that process could take up to 6 weeks to gain approval. The OEM pump was not in stock and apparently was also on North American backorder for three weeks - not to mention that they wanted $430 for the OEM pump. The CA Cycleworks pump was $129 plus express shipping and arrived at my door within two days. For me, the decision was an easy one - keep screwing around with my dealer and KTM to get a new pump approved and risk missing the rest of this riding season or just plunk down a bit of cash for the CA Cycleworks pump. I'm glad I did it.

Thank you to everyone who chimed in with their experience, wisdom and suggestions - this forum is a truly great thing :)

Old 08-16-2012, 07:24 AM   #54
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 995
Great news!!! To my knowledge I have not heard of a Cycleworks pump failing, although quite a few of us carry a spare on the bike-the 690 will often trigger irrational habits!
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #55
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Great news!!! To my knowledge I have not heard of a Cycleworks pump failing, although quite a few of us carry a spare on the bike-the 690 will often trigger irrational habits!
Given the low cost of the CA Cycleworks pump, I will stock an extra one in case I go for a long-ish/remote trip. I'm pretty certain I can now change one out in less than 12 minutes while blindfolded :)

Old 08-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #56
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,857
Nice to hear you have found the problem alongat.
Guess I should pick up a CA Cycleworks pump too. Just for insurance.
KTM really sells an unfinished R&D bike with the 690 IMO.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #57
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
...I'm pretty certain I can now change one out in less than 12 minutes while blindfolded :)
Looks like a separate thread with sticky and step-by-step photos would be in order......and appreciated.

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum

ramjet screwed with this post 08-16-2012 at 03:44 PM
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #58
alongat OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
Looks like a separate threaded with sticky and step-by-step photos would be in order......and appreciated.
I didn't take any pictures of my install but I did search advrider.com for similar symptoms/fixes/etc and found some very helpful threads with multiple pictures - that is how I learned about the CA Cycleworks pump

Sorry, i'll be more diligent in photo snapping in the future or when I change the filter.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #59
SigPig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Glad to hear that you are up and running again. I replaced mine with the ca-cycleworks pump as well. Much thanks to the advrider forums.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #60
r'elise me
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Here's the link to the step by step procedure for pump replacement:
http://forum.dixiedualsport.com/post...6&postcount=50

I think the Napa 3011 filter has caused problems according to some distant memories of threads I've read. There's a napa metal bodied filter equivalent that works fine. Anyone know the model of that one?

Thanks for this thread. I had the exact issue with my 08 690 Enduro (with only 1300 miles on the odometer) on hot days or just hard/fast riding where the water temp climbs. I start getting some exhaust pops (like a lean condition) at red lights and when I turn it off it when hot it wont restart the as if the fuel tank is empty. Yesterday I had to wait in a parking lot for three hours in 100F heat for the DAY to cool off enough for it to start up again - just in time for my wife to show up with the trailer. Pisser for both of us, but all I was thinking is how the heck can I justify taking this thing on an adv ride into the wilderness?! Get it fixed friends - don't wait.
r'elise me is offline   Reply With Quote