Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2015, 02:34 PM   #1
Loutre OP
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,676
Homeless Otter on the road – One month to find the rising sun

SPOT tracker: otterontheroad1

Howdy ho dudes and dudettes. What an adventurous title, it has everything you could wish for in such a cold and unforgiving time of year. Enough time and a vague idea of space, to fill up this Ride Report with sufficient pictures to keep you all from working. This time I'm adding a bit of drama with the homelessness, decided to steal that idea from Reaver. Interestingly I wanted to call this series of “An Otter on the road”, “Reavers charity run” since he's on his quest to true love, but then I thought “well screw that, what has this fucker ever done for me” and scraped that idea from the epic title list.

Well why am I homeless? I'm heading for the summer semester from france to germany (yay back home bitches!), in france the semester ends about the 20th of january and in germany it begins the 20th of april... Yeah 3 month of doing nothing. Sounds nice right? To accomplish that I quit my job and my flat (due date is on the 28th of january when I'm kicked out). My last exam takes place on the 16th of January and it seemed logic to start this journey at that date but since I spent so much time in the city of Lille in northern France (most of the time that I've been in France actually) I wanted to get something that will make me remember this city and the beautiful experiences that I've gathered here for the rest of my life. Another thing that I've always wanted is to get is a tat'. So mix and match and I'll be getting my first tat' on january 20th. Sorry for the delay guys but this is for a higher cause! Until it heals up (about 3 days?) I'll be starting this journey around the 23th of january.

Ok ok blabla we get it, you'll be away for a month, the guys from the parallel universe will be delighted and I'm afraid that the absence of the Self-bestowed Nooberator that I am, will cause a flood of noobs hitting the parallel universe... Be strong guys! I'll fuck them up when I'm back.

So where is he heading during these freezing winter months? Well guys... in the spirit of the Africa Eco Race that has just finished, are you ready for some hot temperatures?

Pics of the sea with way out of league girls in bikinis, slurping some nice cocktails?

Weeeell... this brilliant idea (that would have insured me a certain kind of audience) got also scraped from the list. One year ago I began to plan a trip across the Mediterranean area but then a French bloke got killed in Algeria, followed by the uprising of ISIS and now the whole “I am Charlie” thingy... lets just say that authorities weren't all that thrilled to see me on their territory and told me to do it some other time. What a nice way to say "go fuck yourself".

Next thought was, well where is it hot enough to go and camp during january and february? Darn I'm again on the wrong continent. Weeeeell there still is Spain and Portugal! But I've been there last summer, do you remember? That Ride Report that I was too lazy to write down? I really don't want to lie to you, I had a hack of a time!

A teaser?

I visited a Penis mountain

but soon after I needed to fight a bug on my campground for the ultimate supremacy of that leaf. Needless to say that I lost. My pride was hurt and I swore that I would never return to that country.

Do you feel the cliffhanger for a revenge road trip? We'll see about that later

What else, oh yeah Italy!? Well did that HardAlpiTour rally there in september so nope again! Teasing:

looks promesing? Well that side of the bike almost never went down. The other side... Well... lets say duct tape is still holding parts together as we speak

Seriously I think that my bike napped as much as I would have loved to during this 24 hour rally. I should have counted the full actual hours that it spent on both wheels rather than the naps. Lazy fuck.

After that our team had multiple breakdowns: 2 engines stopped working almost at the same time at 2000 meters (how convenient) thus having to split up the teams

This is what my teammate looked like at 3 AM after I left him for a 40minute power nap. Don't say that I don't care

And like in spain it came to a smackdown between the wildlife and me. All these latin countries had Bad carma written all over them

So in the end not so many warm countries left. At the end Greece and Croatia it is! But to get there and enjoy the scenery of the snowed in balkans, I'm heading through Hungary, Romania/Serbia, hit Greece to drink an Ouzo and head, I don't know how and when, back up through the coast of Croatia! Sounds epic? Well I know that breakfast in Greece was epic when I went there 9 years ago. I remember that time when I was a younger, better looking and innocent man. The pride of my years as a teenager if you ask me. Well I say epic... I lost about 3kgs. Even though EVERYTHING had sugar in it, I had cockroaches in my hotel room, you could shower and take a dumb at the same time and the bed didn't resist the “casual pillow fight” (euphemism? I leave that to your imagination). Ah good times! On the other hand Croatia is completely new to me. Wanted to head there 3 years ago but decided to wait for them to enter the EU a year later.

So the question everyone is asking at this point is why isn't he riding for the whole 3 months? Well as I've discovered after that Mediterranean trip got canceled, the good old “Elefantentreffen” takes place the week end of the 20th of february. I went there with one of my best friends last year and we had a heck of a time, didn't know how to appreciate the sentence “you can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning” until then. On the day of departure our neighbours invited us to come back this year, same place, same time. They've been coming for the last 15 years or so, so we felt honored and promised to be there this year. And best timing ever, my birthday is on the 19th of february so this seems like a perfect ending to my road trip and a “best birthday party ever” moment.

Are you hooked? Well if not I'll have the kind of technological guizmo that will hook you! Any day now I'll be receiving my Spot Messenger so that you can follow me live on the internet. Isn't that the kind of things you lazy office workers love? You know it to be true.

Well after enough insulting and teasing here is my request to you ADVriders:
If you live anywhere near my “sorta should pass that thing it looks interesting route”, PM me (or better yet send me a text) if you want to meet up, have a drink, have suggestions of a place to ride, see, have a tent space or a warm shower, it would be greatly appreciated! That is why I'm already presenting my RideReport, hope this will give you enough time to think about it :o). I'm a nice bloke I promise! I love sheds and the occasional shovel action. Take this to mean whatever you like.

Last but not least: which bike am I taking? I'll take my trustworthy BM trouble U named Pumpkin. The 21” front and the fact that it's “lighter” should be an advantage on snowy roads. Yeti (GSA) should be transformed within the next couple of years into a hack so these winter ride reports will get boring because of the lack of face planting myself. Sorry for that, but don't you worry, you'll see my bike plenty of times down before that'll happen!

Will post a follow up within the next days about my route, gear, preparation and whatsnot.

Cheers to you all hope to see you on the road!
Tom the Otter (or Sewer Rat for my close relatives on here o0).

You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.

Loutre screwed with this post 01-24-2015 at 02:19 PM
Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:09 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 56,367
Oh mon dou, l'outre parle beaucoup!

Allons-y
Old 01-12-2015, 10:19 PM   #3
Loutre OP
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Oh mon dou, l'outre parle beaucoup!

Allons-y
Making up for the three ride reports that could've been here before but never made it to the final selection This is why I use a fancy color too, attracts bugs and vultures alike.
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:26 PM   #4
70East
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Im down like four flats.
70East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:53 AM   #5
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
and I'll be getting my first tat'
So, which picture of Reaver are you going to use ?

Scrib'd. Have a great, safe trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM8 View Post
Shooby - Set, point, match. Well played.
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:45 PM   #6
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 3,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooby View Post

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver screwed with this post 01-15-2015 at 04:55 PM
Reaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:48 PM   #7
Loutre OP
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooby View Post

Scrib'd. Have a great, safe trip!
something like that, otherwise photoshop will serve me well with one of his creepy smiles:

Old 01-15-2015, 04:49 PM   #8
Loutre OP
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
oh comon that was my reply!

Old 01-15-2015, 04:57 PM   #9
Reaver
Outta Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
oh comon that was my reply!
To this day, the smell of Nail Polish gives me the Creeps.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:00 PM   #10
Loutre OP
Cosmopolitan Adv

you're welcome dad. Someone had to put a line to your cross dressing.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:09 PM   #11
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 938
Oh boy... Well, anything that keeps you off the parallel universe is a good thing
sarathmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:49 AM   #12
Reaver
Outta Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathmenon View Post
Oh boy... Well, anything that keeps you off the parallel universe is a good thing
I second that. We should have a Poll on this. Give him another reason to get on the bike and leave.

Is this another RR that takes a month to start? I hate that.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:04 PM   #13
Loutre OP
Cosmopolitan Adv

or you can start a donation site and keep me on my bike and off the //u for good

Old 01-17-2015, 01:15 PM   #14
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
or you can start a donation site and keep me on my bike and off the //u for good
Now, now. Why would we do something stupid like that?
sarathmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:32 AM   #15
Loutre OP
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathmenon View Post
Now, now. Why would we do something stupid like that?
Was a nice try though