Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #31
transalpian OP
Over, Across, and Through

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer1949 View Post
Going on the old classroom assumption that if I have a question so do others....When you say expensive at $300, I'm assuming that is per tire FOB Ohio, correct?

I am interseted but want clarity on the price, ya know how cheap farmers are! What is the rough Breakdown?...Is this about right? Tire about $130 and shipping $170= $300/tire FOB Ohio? And hoping to lessen freight by getting a larger order?

Thanks
Basically, yes. Your assumption is correct, but not the ratios.

Looking at different UK online tire sellers, the tire is about 170 GBP (or $260) each. Total cost for one shipped by air to Ohio is $350, so shipping would be $84. Total cost for two shipped by air to Ohio is $652, so shipping each would be $60.

Rod is getting a price for water shipping a bunch (10?) to Ohio. But as you see, unless Rod has a much better source to buy the tires, its not going to be less than $260 each.

Good question. Move to the head of the class and bring an apple tomorrow!

On second thought, maybe I'm interested....
transalpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #32
transalpian OP

My rig runs a Metzler ME880 150/80-17 on the front. SWMoto tire has them for $138.66 shipped. I've never had motorcycle tires go more than 10,000 miles. Often they don't go nearly that far when my right hand is heavy . I get my tires changed locally at $25 per tire so that's not as much as impact as it was for me in the past (when all I could find was $90 per tire to mount).

For me, the decision to switch from the Metzler to the Bridgestone is determined by if I can get at least 20,000 miles out of the Bridgestone and what improvements to handling will I get from the wider contact patch.

Kailuasurfer - you told me Ad Donker thought your tire would get 45,000 km (28,000 miles) and that you thought it would. Is this still what you think regarding mileage?

Old 08-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #33
triumphsidehack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Yes i would be interested in the 175/55/17 tire if the price were closer to $200.00, and no the buyer backed out of the deal because I had modified the exhaust on my R3 from the 3 funky pipes to one yamaha Warrior muffler on the left side to get the heat and noise away from the sidecar. Looks and sounds much better.
I have been running a 160/80/17 rear tire on the front < backwards > and if the 175's are not cost effective I guess I'll go back to rears on the front . Shinko has a 712 150/70/17 for $ 67.00 should get 10K out of something like that ? or if I thought I would need a high $ tire I could go with a Metzeler ME880 150/80H/17 for 146.99

Will be interesting to see what lots of 10 can be shipped over here for . Maybe you will get lucky and be able to recoup some cost by selling to like minded user's like me and others. I will be eagerly waiting to see.
triumphsidehack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:09 AM   #34
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,554
Seems to me that if you're willing to ship it on a boat instead of by air then any big Bridgestone re-seller in the U.S. should be able to order these tires and get them added to the next boatload from the factory. In which case the shipping cost would be no more than any other Bridgestone.

Has anybody picked up a phone and actually spoken directly to an importer to see if this is possible?
Old 08-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #35
transalpian OP

Kind of sort of yes.

I spoke with a couple local tire dealers who handle Bridgestone. They said the tires aren't in their book of "availables" so they can't order them. I also spoke to a UK based tire dealer who also declined to help since they can't export tires to the US for some reason I didn't fully understand.

I emailed Bridgestone themself but other than an electronic receipt, have heard nothing from them yet.

I wonder if this specific tire has been through the DOT process??

Old 08-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #36
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,352
I have noticed in my trips to Canada that there are tires available there that are not available in the U.S. so that may be an option. The dealers may not ship them to the U.S. from Canada but it should be possible to find someone up there to purchase them and get them down here as I have done for a couple of people here.
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #37
transalpian OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDR View Post
I have noticed in my trips to Canada that there are tires available there that are not available in the U.S. so that may be an option. The dealers may not ship them to the U.S. from Canada but it should be possible to find someone up there to purchase them and get them down here as I have done for a couple of people here.

I looked at this path as well. I can't find anybody in Canada (including Bridgestone's Canadian Corporate presence) that shows this tire exists. I'm really starting to think its almost a UK only tire!

Maybe there are other tires (not Bridgestone) in this size available in Canada, but the large Canadian tire houses don't show any.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #38
DirtyDR
Dana

You sounded like you were being pretty thorough but I figured it was worth a mention just in case.

When everyone was looking for the Vredestein mud and snow tire in the 15" and couldn't find them I was surprised when I mentioned it to my local independant shop up here and he said they had them in the warehouse in Denver, no problem. Seems like some people will just go that extra little bit to find something for you.
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH

Old 08-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #39
DirtyDR
Dana

There are 3 different listings on ebay right now in Great Britain for the 175/55/17 Bridgestone and they are running around $250.00 each with $100.00 shipping to the U.S. so it looks like that might be a G.B. spec tire.
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH

Old 08-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #40
transalpian OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDR View Post
There are 3 different listings on ebay right now in Great Britain for the 175/55/17 Bridgestone and they are running around $250.00 each with $100.00 shipping to the U.S. so it looks like that might be a G.B. spec tire.
That seems to be the going rate, no matter the source...

At this point, I'm also considering swapping the front wheel with a 16" from a later model Rocket III Touring. Much better tire selection. Now, the touring wheels don't match the classic wheels, but the huge front rotors hide most of the wheel anyhow!

---Check that, it doesn't look like tall and narrow 16" tires are much easier to find than 17s!!!

transalpian screwed with this post 08-09-2012 at 09:56 AM
Old 08-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #41
DirtyDR
Dana

I figured everyone was going to be around the same. It always amazes me that certain tires are only locally available.
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH

Old 08-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #42
hooligan67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Ford Mustang mini spare?

A scan on eBay shows that a 155/70/17 is available in both Good Year and Maxxis as a "mini spare" for the Ford Mustang.
Are theses tires a viable option? They clearly state that they are for temporary use only, but given the application on a hack, I wonder how much abuse they would actually get?
Anybody have knowledge on these tires?
Old 08-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #43
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,525
The mini saver or space saver spare tyres are only supposed to be used to a max speed of 50mph/80kph. They are load rated beyond what would be required for use on a motorcycle but are speed rated to 130kph. I have read some reports on the net that they don't last that well and are expensive to replace, but given that wreckers want jack all for them that may not be a problem. I have been looking at these for a rear application on my outfit. They do come in a range of different sizes. I have seem them down as narrow as a 125 cross width.
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:38 AM   #44
transalpian OP

No progress to report, and I've tried many new unsuccesful routes...

What do you think of the M&H racemaster radial DOT drag front tire in 185/55-17? Seem to run around $190 shipped.

Link to website: http://www.mandhtires.com/M-H-Front-...T#.UFtdELd5mc0

Anyone have any experience with these tires? I will be closely measuring today for clearance.

transalpian screwed with this post 09-20-2012 at 12:16 PM
Old 09-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #45
Mister P
Street Bob - hacked!

Oddometer: 12
Tires that are often used overhere in Europe on stock 17" motorcycle wheels - next to the Bridgestone Potenza 175/55R17 - are following

NANKANG NS2 165/35R17
Continental VancoContact 185/60R17

I have the Continental (back) and Bridegstone (front) on my rig - both on stock 17x4,5 Harley wheels. I don't now about availability in the US for the Continental and Nankang?

Greetings from Belgium !
Mister P is offline   Reply With Quote