ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #16
cbig
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 878
Don't see any troubles getting thru this

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I really hope the n00bs just stay home this winter.

Seriously, if you don't ride as an A enduro pro rider, please don't go up there.

Looked at a couple vids, it's not as bad as 2005, but it's beyond most around these here parts.
Gotta admit tho I like the picture of the old scout...
Old 10-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #17
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,752
Looks awesome to me too, cbig!! I definitely see problems for me, those pics take away the momentum needed to get up the falls...really no point unless you're in a group that can drag bikes through the washout up towards Barker.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #18
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windrat View Post
looks like a big tank for my small bike...is going to be needed

now i just need to start planning a trip
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #19
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,485
Based on the corner in the back of that pic, it looks further up the canyon from the first big step as you come up the wash.

Of course you can't tell how steep it is, but certainly looks do-able on a light bike with a trials tire. But you're right, a group of noobs spells disaster.

So far I haven't ridden Goler on a bike, drove it by jeep years ago as I mentioned. With the barker ranch burned down there's not as much draw for me. Been covering the northwestern region and White Mountains on my last two and only trips. Looking forward to the riding season out there.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #20
Hoologan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Gonna have to keep an eye on this.... Thanks Larryboy
Old 10-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #21
cbig

I just happen to have just such a beast or two...

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Based on the corner in the back of that pic, it looks further up the canyon from the first big step as you come up the wash.

Of course you can't tell how steep it is, but certainly looks do-able on a light bike with a trials tire. But you're right, a group of noobs spells disaster.

So far I haven't ridden Goler on a bike, drove it by jeep years ago as I mentioned. With the barker ranch burned down there's not as much draw for me. Been covering the northwestern region and White Mountains on my last two and only trips. Looking forward to the riding season out there.

Downside is riding that on the road out or back.. Have a xr400 also. Maybe the solution will be to air down the d606 to 11 lbs or so to clear this section on the xr600..

Headed out there Nov 16 or 17 and staying until the 21st... maybe worked out by then? If not, bring shovels!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #22
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Quote:

Looks like it's right in front of the big step to me?

For scale look at the downhill picture looking at the Jeep, those are 35's, then look uphill...rocks look small from that angle, but they're not.

There has already been one motorcycle rescue by a park ranger this fall, let's not have any more.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #23
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbig View Post
Maybe the solution will be to air down the d606 to 11 lbs or so to clear this section on the xr600..

What's your plan here?

Drag out the winch?
Old 10-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #24
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
What's your plan here?

Drag out the winch?

Rugged terrain is very hard to interpret from a photo. That hole is probably deeper than it looks. The guy standing in it appears to be waist-deep or more.

But there looks to be a decent ramp on the far left. I dunno, you just can't tell 'till you get there. Or get stuck.

Certainly doesn't look 'big bike friendly' as they like to say. I never quite got the liter-bike approach to offroading.

Thanks for keeping a sharp eye out Larryboy.
DV generally seems to be a noob attractant.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #25
cbig

Sorry -

Just looks like a regular day at the office for me Work with a lot of rocks!
(not that all my coworkers would be happy being called rocks)
The Jeep part was just normal offroading to me. (Still dig the scout, probably the most reliable 4x4 I had)

If you can handle the steps at Crab Flats, White Mt type stuff or some of the Moab stuff you should be OK here. What we don't know is what it will be like in a couple of months. Some enterprising 4x4 people will work a solution to it if the road crews don't and more rain is likely. Bring an Army E-Tool

What's the condition at Lippencott with such washouts?
Old 10-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #26
cbig

My plan

Quote:
What's your plan here?

Drag out the winch?
My plan here was to have my buddies Larryboy Browneye take out their e-tools (shovel) and smooth out those embankments if it's not already done
Old 10-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #27
larryboy OP
Paint it black.

Quote:
Rugged terrain is very hard to interpret from a photo. That hole is probably deeper than it looks. The guy standing in it appears to be waist-deep or more.

I must be looking at a different picture, dudes shoulder is clearly at the edge of the trench and the camera side is about eight feet to the bottom.

Quote:
Bring an Army E-Tool

What's the condition at Lippencott with such washouts?

Don't forget that your e-rescue tool doesn't work in Goler, don't be an e-idiot.

Lippencott is the same as always from what I've heard...n00bs will flip off the trail heading up or need to get rescued on the flat because they're tired.

North of the springs has some really good washouts, Chicken Strip got destroyed and I'd expect the road from Upper Warm to Steele Pass to be pretty thrashed and ready to bend up some more n00b wheels.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #28
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
I must be looking at a different picture, dudes shoulder is clearly at the edge of the trench and the camera side is about eight feet to the bottom.

Geez, where'd all the dirt go, eh??
Old 10-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #29
cbig

Huh?

Don't forget that your e-rescue tool doesn't work in Goler, don't be an e-idiot.

E-tool = Army or Marine entrenching tool, a small foldable shovel about 8 inches wide that folds into a small pouch. Can be folded into a right angle like a pick axe and we used them often to make quick work of embankments like this. It's not a rescue beacon like a SPOT, if that's what you are alluding to. No experience with it but previous satcom experience taught me burst communicators have a hard time seeing the sat in a canyon, so yes, that's tough in a narrow area if an e-rescue is a different brand of SPOT..

How long is the Steel Pass route from South Pass and back to the pavement near the guard shack at Scotty's? That trip presents a fuel problem for us.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #30
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,552
Quote:

How long is the Steel Pass route from South Pass and back to the pavement near the guard shack at Scotty's? That trip presents a fuel problem for us.

I'm sitting here doing mileage calculations for upcoming rides in DV...

How does knowing the distance from South Pass to Scotty's help you? No fuel at either point.

Also, Spot works fine in Goler... I get a good ping every 10 to 12 minutes.. Amazing little device.

One of our riders lost a Spot in Goler. We knew exactly where it was but decided it was not worth going back for... It died a slow but accurately located death..
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote