ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #31
Windrat
just a poser

Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbig View Post
Don't forget that your e-rescue tool doesn't work in Goler, don't be an e-idiot.

E-tool = Army or Marine entrenching tool, a small foldable shovel about 8 inches wide that folds into a small pouch. Can be folded into a right angle like a pick axe and we used them often to make quick work of embankments like this. It's not a rescue beacon like a SPOT, if that's what you are alluding to. No experience with it but previous satcom experience taught me burst communicators have a hard time seeing the sat in a canyon, so yes, that's tough in a narrow area if an e-rescue is a different brand of SPOT..

How long is the Steel Pass route from South Pass and back to the pavement near the guard shack at Scotty's? That trip presents a fuel problem for us.
stovepipe- racetrack-lipincot-saline hot springs-steelpass-stovepipe about 250 miles and a long day
I used 7 gals on my 690
with the bad roads it could take a long time to make that loop leave early

report back please
Old 10-02-2012, 06:31 AM   #32
cbig
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 881
knowing

Distance south pass to guard shack helps plan fuel. We may stage fuel and a truck at the guard shack. Also we have xr600/650's in the inventory and xr400/250 which get better mileage but not as spirited. Street portions of rides will be slow...
Old 10-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #33
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,559
Quote:
Distance south pass to guard shack helps plan fuel. We may stage fuel and a truck at the guard shack. Also we have xr600/650's in the inventory and xr400/250 which get better mileage but not as spirited. Street portions of rides will be slow...

110 miles . Top of South Pass - Warm Springs/Steele Pass - Crankshaft Junction - Scotty's Castle ! From DV Backcountry Roads Map
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #34
white nuckle toy
Self ******.

Oddometer: 19
My wife and I are leaving 10/4/12 from Carson City Nv. to do a multi day ride thru western Nv. and Dv. We plan on coming down thru Fishlake Valley and going thru Steele Pass to Saline.Then going out South pass to Panamint Valley, and over Manley to Ridgecrest. Back over Manley, then over Mangle out to Furnace Creek. From there were going over Echo to Armagosa Valley (Beatty Nv.). Don't really have a set plan for getting back to CC from Beatty, but it will involve sand, silt, dust, rocks, dirt, dust. Sounds like it might turn out to be an excellent ADVENTURE, instead of just a lot of dirt roading. We will be on a CRF450X (plated, wifes) and a KTM 690E, mine. We have ridin all of this before, multiple times, first time putting it in a big loop though.
white nuckle toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #35
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer View Post
110 miles . Top of South Pass - Warm Springs/Steele Pass - Crankshaft Junction - Scotty's Castle ! From DV Backcountry Roads Map
Just in case you didn't know... there is no gas at Scotty's Castle.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #36
larryboy OP
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer View Post
I get a good ping every 10 to 12 minutes..

That's a complete fail IMHO, the time you'll need help is the in between minutes where it doesn't work.

Sorry cbig, you were coming across as 'billy bad ass' and I'm not into how good you are, this is a thread for road conditions.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #37
larryboy OP
Leisurely Liar

South Pass down to Lippencott is a little massaged and different than in the past, ride with caution, it's not high speed right now.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #38
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,570
That looks awesome! I'll have to get out there before they "fix" all that.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #39
larryboy OP
Leisurely Liar

Harry Wade Exit Route got worked over too.

You had better like sand.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #40
larryboy OP
Leisurely Liar

Old 10-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #41
cbig

Looks good

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
That's a complete fail IMHO, the time you'll need help is the in between minutes where it doesn't work.

Sorry cbig, you were coming across as 'billy bad ass' and I'm not into how good you are, this is a thread for road conditions.

You should not have, just some remarks about shoveling maybe needed. It wasn't there to read. No offense taken . Unless you find my xr250 bad ass and intimidating :)

Our ride isn't until Nov. Conditions no doubt will change, and I figure some enterprising off roaders to make some of this doable. We'll know more when we know more. Hope. You use this thread as sort of a continuous conditions update.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #42
larryboy OP
Leisurely Liar

Quote:
You should not have, just some remarks about shoveling maybe needed. It wasn't there to read. No offense taken . Unless you find my xr250 bad ass and intimidating :)

Our ride isn't until Nov. Conditions no doubt will change, and I figure some enterprising off roaders to make some of this doable. We'll know more when we know more. Hope. You use this thread as sort of a continuous conditions update.

Cool.

I've heard that South Park is full awn gnarley right now. It was almost single track from the washouts down where you can see the valley, some of the Jeep guys did some repairs to keep the road around for use. No reports from above the bridge yet, I'll post up when I hear anything...still closed to Jeeps by the BLM, open to bikes/quads/sidebysides.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #43
larryboy OP
Leisurely Liar

One more from the mouth of Goler:

Old 10-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #44
cbig

If you

Get a chance, conditions at echo pass ? Also I think there's a canyon roughly parallel to Goler Wash that doesn't go thru, South of Surprise we hadn't seen, supposed to be pretty. Tough up there too?
Old 10-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #45
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Cerro Gordo ??

Anybody know the conditions of Cerro Gordo?
Baja Ho is offline   Reply With Quote