User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #31
North6633
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Jack,

You come by our part of the world and not even say hello!!

What brings you back down to these parts?

We were riding just east of you in Canada this weekend. Would have gladly made a detour.

Let us know when you are heading back north.

Stop in and say hello.
North6633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #32
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by North6633 View Post
Jack,
You come by our part of the world and not even say hello!!
Been trying to figure how I could detour over that way, but everything is taking me eastward.

Quote:
What brings you back down to these parts?
Got invited to address a seminar at the IBA National Meet in Denver later this week.

Quote:
We were riding just east of you in Canada this weekend. Would have gladly made a detour.
You would have had to ride fast to catch me. There was a pan or two of fudge with my name on it down in Helena, MT, calling to me.

Quote:
Let us know when you are heading back north.

Stop in and say hello.
Even that isn't going to work out. I'm leaving the Connie in Pennsylvania and flying home. For a while, I'd considered taking Amtrak from Pittsburgh to Seattle, then renting a car and driving over the mountains to visit. But winter is getting too close back home, and I have to cut down a lot of firewood before snow gets too deep there in Slana. So flying was the only way to get home quickly.

Hopefully, I'll be down again next spring, and on the KLR then. And no urgency to be somewhere else, so I would be sure to stop in.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #33
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

After taking my leave from the wonderful hospitality offered at the Huddy Rancho , it was necessary to take a less-than-direct route toward Red Lodge and Beartooth in order to do some shopping at the Flying J west of Butte. That is where I have purchased 3 of the 5 neat little digital temperature gauges that have graced the dashboards of various vehicles over the years. They are somewhat unique in that they not only tell the temperature, but also the day of the week, the date, and the time. The one that has been serving duty on the dash of the Concours for the past 13 years quit unexpectedly just before departure. They just don't make things like they used to in China. Alas, that model is no longer available. But they did have one with the much-needed "Ice Alert" feature , so that one now serves to remind me that it really is hot out.

It still being quite light out when I arrived at Big Timber, the decision was made to press on to Columbus in order to be that much closer to Red Lodge in the morning. The shiny new Super 8 next to the interstate was by-passed in favor of the more homey looking (and cheaper - don't forget, I'm a KLR owner) "Gits" motel on Main St. Had meant to ask if they had wi-fi but forgot until after I was in my room. No, there was no wi-fi. It didn't take long to find the reason behind the substantially lower room rates as a freight train rumbled through town on tracks no more than 150 yards from the motel. What the room lacked in wi-fi, it made up for in train whistles - about one every two hours, all night long.

Checked into a motel in Buffalo, WY now - another "homey" one in the town proper. (Notice a recurring theme here? Will I ever learn? At least I remembered to ask about the wi-fi before accepting the room this time.) Only did 439 miles today, but what miles they were! First was Beartooth Pass, of course. Then Chief Joseph Hwy followed by a ride across the sweltering Big Horn Basin. But then the climb up through Shell Canyon - with a stop for photos at Shell Falls - and over the top of Granite Pass (Where the temperature was a wonderfully cool 68) before stopping for dinner at Burgess Jct. After that, it was west and down 14A to find the Medicine Wheel monument. That took a while, as I had passed the turn-off due to following my lame-brained GPS. That's my story and I'm not changing it!

Finally found the turn-off and rode up to the info center only to find that it was a walk of 1.5 miles to get to the actual site. After chatting with one of the two people manning the center, one asked me if I would like to ride up the road to the Medicine Wheel. You bet! So he opened the gate and I took the Connie up the somewhat bumpy, but easily passable gravel road to see the Wheel and get what I hope will turn out to be some good photos. Then back to Bear Resort Lodge at Burgess Jct for some gas to make sure I could reach Sheridan, and away I went - slowly, as deer were everywhere.

No room at the Inn (Days Inn, in this case) so Buffalo it became. Tomorrow being only Tuesday, and my hotel reservation in Denver not beginning until Thursday afternoon, there is time to do some more exploring. There are some mountains around Medicine Bow that have appeared in ride reports that might need to be investigated... and other places farther south, maybe even in Colorado. Might have to engage a tour guide...

Now to download some of today's photos to see if there are any keepers amongst them. Didn't notice until about halfway up to the Beartooth Plateau that what I had taken to be morning haze on the mountains, was really smoke from forest fires far to the north. So chances of getting some really stunning shots were pretty much nil all day. Oh well, the trip has barely begun.
Haul Road Primer
Old 08-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #34
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLARider1 View Post
Good to see you back in the 'states'..........how far south are your coming and do you have a timeline? Let us know, Angie and I will have a comfy bed, hot shower and fudge awaiting your arrival at the A2 Resort in Homestead!!!!!

Sent you email and PM...........I did a dumbass and lost over 200 numbers outta my phone!!

A
Fudge, you say? Will phone for an address and directions to your house before leaving Denver.
Haul Road Primer
Old 08-13-2012, 10:09 PM   #35
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHuddy View Post
Jack departed the Montana Way Station at 1600 Hrs. with a fixed oil leak (we think), new rear brake pads and a top box full of fudge and shortcake. Next stop Big Timber to stage for Beartooth tomorrow.
Oil is still all the way up in the window, and Alcan Annie did not claim any territory as her own until late this afternoon, and rather than a full-blown claim, it was more a case of displaying mild interest - just 1/2 teaspoon of dead dinosaurs. So in my mind, the repair was successful. Thank you very much for the use of your shop and tools, as well as your help. Tell Spousal Unit, however, that I am hereby referring to her as "Tricky Annie", and she knows why.
Haul Road Primer
Old 08-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #36
Boulder Ed
Bin Ridin

Oddometer: 804
Two Famous Speakers in Denver This week

The competition is heating up! The IBA is touting a certain "Mr. Alaska", as a presenter covering such things as how to properly share a remote muddy highway with bears, and calcium chloride removal.

Competing against him is the next Vice President of the United States of America, Paul Ryan. Let's see, I received a free invitation to hear Mr. Ryan, and have to pay to hear Mr. Alaska. Even as a lifelong conservative Republican, I bet this is probably a case of "you get what you pay for".

"Terrorizing small animals on the road since 1971"
Boulder Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:40 AM   #37
Boulder Ed
Bin Ridin

Careful, Jack is contagious

Well, Jack dropped in on Wed., and we had hours of great conversation on riding before he departed to the IBA national on Thursday. I had often contemplated making one of the IBA qualification runs, a "saddle sore 1000, SS1K" or 1000 miles in 24 hours and it just so happened that the Colorado Freewheelers motorcycle club was putting on their annual ride in conjunction with the IBA meeting, which would allow IBA and MERA qualification if desired.

Jack got me so pumped up, and gave me so many great tips on how to stay reasonably healthy and alert, I decided to try it. I had caught his long distance bug.

On Friday morning I called a buddy and told him I was gonna do it, and invited him along, and he said "what time do I need to be there". So we now had time to prepare before our 2:00 a.m. departure. Of course neither of us could sleep much that night due to the excitement. I got 1.5 hours then showed up at 11:45 even though we were not scheduled to leave until 2 a.m. That was ok, I got to see many types of different lighting set ups, all kinds of cool long distance bikes and have some conversation with folks who have been doing this sort of thing for a long time. Turns out that people attempting this type of deal can actually ride extremely well. I had not really thought about it before, but these were not noobs :-)

Jack, thanks for your insight on all of this. I'm happy to report that I completed the ride in 18 hours, 20 minutes, at an average time of 62.8 mph, including lots of shorter stops for gas and muscle relaxation, and even a long lunch break. What fun! A whole new dimension to motorcycle touring. Somebody hand me some Ibuprofen please...

Old 08-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #38
TheWall
0 miles and counting

Oddometer: 163
Congratulations!
TheWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #39
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 784
jack, whereand when will you be in the northeast? Pa is only 8/9 hours aay, maybe we could meet for lunch or something.....
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #40
HayDuchessLives
Loquita

Oddometer: 1,118
Saddle Sore

Congratulations on your successful Saddle Sore ride. Yeehaw!!! Thanks for the PM. I'll keep your offer in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder Ed View Post
Jack, thanks for your insight on all of this. I'm happy to report that I completed the ride in 18 hours, 20 minutes, at an average time of 62.8 mph, including lots of shorter stops for gas and muscle relaxation, and even a long lunch break. What fun! A whole new dimension to motorcycle touring. Somebody hand me some Ibuprofen please...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808795
HayDuchessLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:54 PM   #41
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder Ed View Post
I'm happy to report that I completed the ride in 18 hours, 20 minutes, at an average time of 62.8 mph, including lots of shorter stops for gas and muscle relaxation, and even a long lunch break. What fun! A whole new dimension to motorcycle touring. Somebody hand me some Ibuprofen please...
Oh-oh. Now you've gone and done it. It's one thing to sit around talking about it, but now you're going to be hooked.
Congratulations!

My apologies if I caused any confusion before you headed out. I wasn't aware that there were two SS1K's planned for that week - one by the IBA and the one you did, sponsored by the Freewheelers. Apparently you knew what you were doing even if I was totally in the dark (even with my Lightforce light ).
Haul Road Primer
Old 08-20-2012, 10:57 PM   #42
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
jack, whereand when will you be in the northeast? Pa is only 8/9 hours aay, maybe we could meet for lunch or something.....
Hoping to get there by September 1, and will be flying out September 5. The location is a little northeast of Butler, PA. Will send a PM when I have a better fix on my arrival there.
Haul Road Primer
Old 08-21-2012, 05:32 AM   #43
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,607
How's the oil leak doing?
Old 08-21-2012, 07:53 AM   #44
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHuddy View Post
How's the oil leak doing?
As far as I can tell, it has been stopped. A few drops here and there, but those may be from leaking shaft seals. Haven't added a drop since leaving your place. Overheating has become a problem in high temperatures while climbing to the top of high passes. Will probably be experiencing more of that in Arizona. It will sure be nice to get back down into the 80's. Can't believe I said that. But I must be getting acclimated. Yesterday, after leaving Salida, CO in the low 60's, it felt good to warm up into the high 70's, and even 84 felt "comfortably" hot. Gotta get back to Alaska before I am assimilated!
Haul Road Primer
Old 08-21-2012, 08:47 AM   #45
Boulder Ed
Bin Ridin

Ss1k

My apologies if I caused any confusion before you headed out. I wasn't aware that there were two SS1K's planned for that week - one by the IBA and the one you did, sponsored by the Freewheelers. Apparently you knew what you were doing even if I was totally in the dark (even with my Lightforce light ).[/QUOTE]

Humm, I must be confused too, as I did not know about the IBA ride either! All I saw on the IBA online rally schedule was the CO freewheelers one. They probably did not want us non-member posers tagging along!

The SS1K was a blast and I am going to do another one soon, maybe a 1500. And, you are right, serious lighting upgrades will need to be purchased ahead of the next one! All I can say is I was really surprised to see how these folks all attacked the ride, no matter what bike model they were riding. My GSA was too low geared and could have used an overdrive 6th gear! Quite the adventure and thanks for encouraging participation. I'm hooked.

Ed