Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #46
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
As far as I can tell, it has been stopped. A few drops here and there, but those may be from leaking shaft seals. Haven't added a drop since leaving your place. Overheating has become a problem in high temperatures while climbing to the top of high passes. Will probably be experiencing more of that in Arizona. It will sure be nice to get back down into the 80's. Can't believe I said that. But I must be getting acclimated. Yesterday, after leaving Salida, CO in the low 60's, it felt good to warm up into the high 70's, and even 84 felt "comfortably" hot. Gotta get back to Alaska before I am assimilated!
Don't forget that the oil cooler is about half blocked with haul road crud.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #47
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
Hoping to get there by September 1, and will be flying out September 5. The location is a little northeast of Butler, PA. Will send a PM when I have a better fix on my arrival there.
Jack, if you see theshnizzle please give her a BIG hug for me.

Gotta keep up relations. Know what I mean?

Boulder Ed, big congrats.

Have fun, Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:37 PM   #48
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,857
Today was another one of those low mileage one, but OH!, what miles they were!

After riding for an hour and a half through nice, winding roads, this sign appeared -

Followed a little while later by this one -

In case that's not clear enough, here it is again -

Yep, 11 miles of mostly 10 to 15 mph posted speed curves. Some of them were like riding a roller coaster the way they changed elevation as you entered the curve. The 94 miles from Alpine to Clifton took nearly 4 hours. That's around a 25 mph average speed. Some of that time was occupied with photo-taking, but even without that it would have taken nearly as long. Elevation changes from under 7000' to over 9000' and back down again - and up and down yet again - keep it very interesting. While going over the highest point the temperature dropped to 54 degrees and it poured rain for a few miles. Lightning had been zapping the ground in the distance as I approached the mountains, and at one point there was a naked tree standing near the road, smoking nearly its entire height.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:10 AM   #49
Cubdriver
Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer: 670
Talking

I rode that route 191 between Clifton and Alpine back when it was called route 666. I was too much a novice to REALLY appreciate it like I would now. Ride on Jack.

For Mrs CD:F650GS, G650GS
Cubdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:46 AM   #50
Boulder Ed
Bin Ridin

Oddometer: 827
Devil's Highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubdriver View Post
I rode that route 191 between Clifton and Alpine back when it was called route 666. I was too much a novice to REALLY appreciate it like I would now. Ride on Jack.

Yep that is a nice road, and somehow they changed the name from 666, "devil's highway" as it is still referred to by the locals.

"Terrorizing small animals on the road since 1971"
Boulder Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #51
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Atlanta Jack? You didn't say anything about Atlanta and points south. All their fudge should be melting.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:11 AM   #52
Boulder Ed
Bin Ridin

Hurricane Weather

Maybe he wanted to see what dissipating hurricane rainstorms feel like on a bike. I'll bet it is really exciting, kind alike a Wyoming summer squall with endurance. Heck he's only a small state/day's ride away from the real action. Beats the heck out of one of the AK post comments I just saw "snow clouds on the horizon" . uh ooh.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #53
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHuddy View Post
Atlanta Jack? You didn't say anything about Atlanta and points south. All their fudge should be melting.
Speaking of fudge... of the 5 or 6 pounds Spousal Unit provided for my continued sustenance there is about 1/2 pound. For the last week it has been an homogenous mass from which I pinch a mouthful at a time. Somewhat liquidy, but as tasty as ever.

Regarding Atlanta: Visiting SKERT (she of the motorcycle-picking up videos), exchanging photography techniques and ideas. Have another visit in the area, then northward, Ho!
Haul Road Primer

Alcan Rider screwed with this post 08-29-2012 at 11:22 AM Reason: Put more blather on the page.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #54
Solarmoose
electric

Oddometer: 673
someone I know said a year ago:

"Glad to see you're keeping those of us who have to remain in the frozen north and try to stay thawed out, entertained," Alcan Rider 9/9/11

someone else said:
"Alaskans feel the urge to follow the migrating birds south when the leaves suddenly begin to turn, the dark nights reappear, the termination dust is evident and overnight temperatures start the perilous drop."

that cool wind blew in this week... signs and portents
Solarmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #55
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Ya, we had a cool breeze here as well; only gonna hit 82 today. Kinda nice after having a high of 97 yesterday. Can the 70s be far behind?
Old 08-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #56
Boulder Ed
Bin Ridin

and I thought we had it bad in CO...

that cool wind blew in this week... signs and portents[/QUOTE]

I plan on another 3 full months of riding before winter kicks my tail fully and the bikes only get out a couple times a month till spring.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #57
SKERT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Having a great learning experience with Jack aka Alcan Jack at my home in Atlanta GA. He has taught me some great tricks w/photography and tmrw I am going to kick over his bike and pick it up for him. YouTube to follow;-).
My next venture will be to spend several months in AK w/Jack and ride his KLR up the Haul. Oh wait, maybe I can't reach the ground on that bike....who cares, I'm going anyway and take some photos too. Seen some great photos from lots of you.

SKERT
aka Carol Youorski
'03 BMW K12RS '06 SV650
SKERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:14 AM   #58
Boulder Ed
Bin Ridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKERT View Post
Having a great learning experience with Jack aka Alcan Jack at my home in Atlanta GA. He has taught me some great tricks w/photography and tmrw I am going to kick over his bike and pick it up for him. YouTube to follow;-).
My next venture will be to spend several months in AK w/Jack and ride his KLR up the Haul. Oh wait, maybe I can't reach the ground on that bike....who cares, I'm going anyway and take some photos too. Seen some great photos from lots of you.
Well, just don't scratch up those $1500 plastic side panels on the K12RS. Or break the $300+ headlight. $40 for a headlight protector is the best aftermarket investment for this model! Picking it up is not fun and repairing it is waaaaay expensive! Don't ask me how I know. Ergonomics on them lack big time for me, but I still think they are one of the best, and most beautiful bikes ever made, and will probably pick up another some day, just to look at if nothing else! Now go knock Jack's bike over and lets see the movie.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:54 AM   #59
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder Ed View Post
Now go knock Jack's bike over and lets see the movie.
Hey! Don't be giving her any ideas. I have been quite successful at putting the Connie onto its side without any help. Movies will not be seen on You Tube any time soon.
Haul Road Primer
Old 08-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #60
SKERT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
OK, so I didn't kick Jacks bike over. We took the bikes out for lunch and then he headed North. Had a great time with Judy Joiner the first woman to do KW to PB and met a kindred spirit that Jack new from said IB trip.
Jack is an awesome rider and person. Hope you get to meet him in person too.

SKERT
aka Carol Youorski
'03 BMW K12RS '06 SV650
SKERT is offline   Reply With Quote