Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #61
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKERT View Post
......Jack is an awesome rider and person. Hope you get to meet him in person too.
It's evident that Jack was on his best behavior during his visit; a rare event to be sure.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #62
Alcan Rider OP
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,837
Trip ended in Chicora, PA on the evening of 9/1 after enjoying an all-too-brief visit with Lorie, aka theshnizzle. At least it was cool on Presque Isle, with large shade trees to hide under. As experienced earlier, hundreds of miles west of there, the GPS was not to be trusted, so we got the "scenic??" tour of the city of Erie, PA before arriving at our destination - the park. However, the view from here was stunning... NOT!

Sure glad I live where I do.

Due to taking a few shortcuts along the way - missed the Kootenays because it was getting too dark to see anything, skipped several passes in Colorado when the Connie began overheating (finally cured, I hope, in Pennsylvania when I bought a new radiator cap), and scheduling didn't work to visit a friend north of the Twin Cities - the final trip odometer reading was just 8997 miles. Could have taken a little ride around the block to make it an even 9000 but when the edge of hurricane Isaac swept into Pennsylvania the shelter of my friends' house seemed much more welcoming.

After enduring temperatures up to 96 several times along the way, as well as some really drenching rainstorms, I found myself not quite ready for the beautiful clear sky - and 25 temperature - that I awoke to this morning. But it's easy enough to put on a light jacket and get out into the fresh Alaskan air - without the smell of numerous exhausts.

It's good to be home.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #63
HayDuchessLives
Loquita

Oddometer: 1,115
Can I point out that while your bike experienced a few small "boo-boos" along the way, my lovely DR, who is NOT a dumpster reject, was thousands of miles away?

I know she was sending positive vibes your direction, especially after received a phone call from Officer Frisk.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808795
HayDuchessLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #64
TheWall
0 miles and counting

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayDuchessLives View Post
...my lovely DR, who is NOT a dumpster reject...
He just spelled it wrong. I'm sure he meant "Dempster." As in, "Dempster Rider" or maybe it should be "Denali Rider?"
TheWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #65
Cubdriver
Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
Trip ended in Chicora, PA on the evening of 9/1 after enjoying an all-too-brief visit with Lorie, aka theshnizzle. At least it was cool on Presque Isle, with large shade trees to hide under. As experienced earlier, hundreds of miles west of there, the GPS was not to be trusted, so we got the "scenic??" tour of the city of Erie, PA before arriving at our destination - the park. However, the view from here was stunning... NOT!

Sure glad I live where I do.

Due to taking a few shortcuts along the way - missed the Kootenays because it was getting too dark to see anything, skipped several passes in Colorado when the Connie began overheating (finally cured, I hope, in Pennsylvania when I bought a new radiator cap), and scheduling didn't work to visit a friend north of the Twin Cities - the final trip odometer reading was just 8997 miles. Could have taken a little ride around the block to make it an even 9000 but when the edge of hurricane Isaac swept into Pennsylvania the shelter of my friends' house seemed much more welcoming.

After enduring temperatures up to 96 several times along the way, as well as some really drenching rainstorms, I found myself not quite ready for the beautiful clear sky - and 25 temperature - that I awoke to this morning. But it's easy enough to put on a light jacket and get out into the fresh Alaskan air - without the smell of numerous exhausts.

It's good to be home.
Jack, now you know why I live where I do also. That picture of the waterfront of Erie Pa (Dreary Erie, the Mistake on the Lake) is all too familiar to me. BUT if you had a hot date, going and parking on Presque Isle to "enjoy the view" right where you took the photo was about as good as it got back there. Unless you could talk her into going on the sunset side of the peninsula and staying after dark. Thanks for the reminder.

BTW the tallest smokestack in the center of the photo is a pointer to Hamot Hospital, where I worked in college and got my start. The steeple on the right side is on the campus of the high school I went to. I lived and my dad farmed south of town, and the ridge that defines the horizon is pretty much where that was. Don't miss it a bit

For Mrs CD:F650GS, G650GS
Cubdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #66
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,191
Nice trip Jack!!!! Hopefully next summer when you embark on Part 2, The Return, you can swing a little south and we go riding in my neck of the woods.

Trips planned next year are late May/early June doing a fly/rent/ride trip for 6 days offroad in Ecuardor and then probably mid August 2 up with the little lady to New Foundland!! Maybe paths will cross!!!

Take care!!!

A
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #67
akrider
mild adventurer

Oddometer: 1,706
Pa

Hay Cubdriver I'm a PA transplant myself.

Ignoranus-def: someone who is stupid and an asshole.
akrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #68
Cubdriver
Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer: 657
Whereabouts? I grew up, or should have, just south of Erie.

For Mrs CD:F650GS, G650GS
Cubdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #69
akrider
mild adventurer

Oddometer: 1,706
Pa

Born in Bethlehem. Well Hellertown really but noboby knows where that is. 3 miles from Bethlehem...now you know.

Ignoranus-def: someone who is stupid and an asshole.
akrider is offline   Reply With Quote