ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #1
pdxthmper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
relocate voltage reg and Starter relay on 990

After removing the air box for a foam style filter and extra plumbing associated with it, I noticed there is a lot of space in front of the filter, and even a little bracket left over from the smog crap. So disconnected the starter relay and stock RR, and put them in the space no issue with room, next I moved the wiring from the battery up to see if the lengths would work, no issue there. There is plenty of length to just move the components to the top instead of the bottom of the engine. I am still laying this out and haven't made a new bracket to mount the RR, but it looks like I will only need 1 new battery cable to feed the starter relay. And then the only the battery is down in front (for now). Has anyone else moved the electronics to this space?

pdxthmper screwed with this post 05-11-2014 at 08:53 PM
pdxthmper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:55 PM   #2
Hannesvdm
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Pics?
Hannesvdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:36 PM   #3
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,757
Why?
Old 05-11-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
I am always interested in this kind of idea. But I wonder about the benefits of moving a battery, which is located low and relatively rearward, to a location forward and higher?? Regulator vulnerability seems to be the connections, which can be upgraded to sealed type with Mosfet change. Main starter relay is vulnerable to moisture and contamination in its down low/by the battery loction. But sealing/grease would help there. What am I missing???
Old 05-11-2014, 08:13 PM   #5
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?

Oddometer: 430
The air blowing by the R&R heat sink is probably a bit cooler and more turbulent in the original location.

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
JoeMongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:51 PM   #6
pdxthmper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

My reasons:
1. move the electrical connections out of the crap, clean up the wiring down there. I have had trouble with them corroding, yes I can upgrade the connectors, and will, even so I don't think its the best place to mount the stuff.

2. this is stage one, next part is to move ABS and move battery under the seat for maintenance and weight benefits.

Air flow to the RR will be added by using a Mosfet RR and opening up the little plastic triangle plastic cover on that side (left)

renogeorge, I'm not moving the battery there, just the RR and starter relay. Battery will stay in current spot for now.

No pictures yet, once get it all connected I will post some.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:27 AM   #7
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
Why?
Why... Because I have just crapped a regulator after crossing through water that was up over it. Hot regulator+cold water=zzzzt.. Moved the battery and start relay up there years ago and like the op have tons of room in front of the ITG filter for the reg to mount. Don't see many dirt bikes with regs (or other electrics) down at the bottom of the bike Another very good reason is that the oil seeps out of the stator (that case wiring grommet is not sealed) and down the wires to the brown plug connecting the reg (that is why they always look like crap) whereas it wont flow up hill if the reg and plugs are higher
Old 05-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #8
pdxthmper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

wire lengths

So I have moved the RR, Starter relay, and 2 fuses up under the main fuse block and I have been able to make all the electrical connections with the stock wires. I will have to add a single positive battery lead around 36" long to feed starter relay and harness. I am still working on position or the RR so no pictures yet, but the first bracket is a 2" x2" aluminum L channel mounted to the bracket that held the little pump, the RR is sitting flat on top of it, roughly centered over the bracket fore aft. I am going to mount the starter Relay and fuses to the frame with a P style loop clamp, at least thats the plan.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:53 PM   #9
pdxthmper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Here it is in the new home, I used part of the stock bracket to hold the starter relay and fuses, add a hole to clamp through a P clamp to the frame. I ended up adding a new battery cable, but you it might be possible to route by switching the stock starter and battery cables.
Attached Images

pdxthmper screwed with this post 11-03-2014 at 11:28 AM
pdxthmper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:53 PM   #10
pdxthmper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

side view
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2014, 12:07 PM   #11
ElJorgio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
this looks great, thanks for posting the set-up. Looks like I will go your route. A few months ago I submerged the entire bike under water, well, 90% of it. The bike hasn't been the same since then. It started giving me issues when starting, namely, not start. I deduced that it must be a faulty starter relay, got a new one and made sure that all the wires were nice and neat down there and it started right up. Fast forward to yesterday and the bike would not start after work. I had to bypass the relay to start the bike. The bike ran fine for 45 minutes which were all spent going 75 mph on road when it suddenly just shut off. All the electrics went out, no dash, nothing. I clicked the ignition switch from on to off, nothing. Playing with the kill switch, nothing. I turned off the headlights and the dash came on. When I pressed the start button the dash went out. I am suspecting it's the starter relay, the aux relays, or some wiring in between. Guess I am gonna have to go through the entire system and re position things as you have done to keep them out of the elements. As much as everyone here puts their bikes through water, mud, and other crud, I'd expect to see such a problem happen more.