Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #16
kittty OP
ScooterGirl

Oddometer: 54
Well, these men have a lot more experience than I do, so the suggestions and advice are well received!
Old 08-09-2012, 07:13 AM   #17
=retread=
more MPG

Oddometer: 124
you like the retro stella, don't have much room, and want more power, sounds like you could be in the market for a vespa gts 300 super. no need for a bike with one of those and you still get cute and stylish!!!
=retread= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:21 AM   #18
kittty OP
ScooterGirl

As much as I'd love a more powerful scooter, a twist and go just does NOTHING for me. I can't bring myself to do it.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #19
PinkSteel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Do you work for Austin Patterson, or are you just parked in front of their offices?

They've designed some beautiful homes over the years...
PinkSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #20
kittty OP
ScooterGirl

Nah I just like to take pictures in Southport. Lots of cool old buildings down there and it's a quaint place to stop for a break and relax.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #21
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,795
Just my .02

The Enfield was by far the worst bike I have ever owned. It would stop working, constantly. It eventually dropped a valve and the engine was rebuilt under warranty (great dealer - great company for backing up their product, I just got a lemon - but I have never had a lemon from other manufacturers). I sold it as soon as I could after that and a big selling point was that it had some warranty left, should the same thing happen to the next owner.

The 883 Iron is cool and retro, but everyone here, near me, has an 883. Not sure that would fit the "attention" part of your needs, if there are plenty where you are too.

Maybe a bigger scooter? Vespa GTS300 or GTV300? I'm guessing you have the 150cc Stella now?
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #22
kittty OP
ScooterGirl

See I'm confused about this lol. RE touts it as being so maintenance free and simple and whatnot, yet I keep hearing stories. Of course you gotta wonder for every horror story how many bikes really had no problems. Never hear about those.

Stella is a 150cc, definitely no more scooters. No CVT, no twist and go, I would be bored out of my mind quickly and get rid of it, no point venturing there.

I don't think I've seen an Iron 883 around here, lots of big shiny Harleys. I might have seen one once, it went by and I caught a glimpse between some cars, it was very black, that's all I could tell.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #23
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Hmm. Sounds to me that you want the Iron 883? If it grabs you, go for it.
I ride what puts a smile on my face. I recommend others do likewise.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #24
kittty OP
ScooterGirl

I do really like it, but I don't know if I'm ready for Harley culture lol. I feel like it might be the outcast though. I love old cars, give me a 1946 DeSoto and I'm in heaven. So I'm naturally drawn to older bikes too. Luckily, retro bikes are often essentially new old bikes, not like retro cars which just nod to the original (I drive a New Beetle though and long for a Mini or Fiat)
Old 08-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #25
V-ger
n00b

Oddometer: 7
For info you might try http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/
They tell both the good and bad.
For what it's worth I'm 60 years old and when I was a kid I wanted an Enfield or BSA single, so 45 years later I bought a 2012 G5 Bullet. I love it. Thought I bought it as a toy but it has become my commuter and gets more miles than my "real" bike.
The new UCE engine is supposed to be much more reliable than the AVL or Cast Iron engines. Hydraulic lifters, electric start, front disc brake and much less maintenance.
V-ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #26
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittty View Post
I do really like it, but I don't know if I'm ready for Harley culture lol. I feel like it might be the outcast though. I love old cars, give me a 1946 DeSoto and I'm in heaven. So I'm naturally drawn to older bikes too. Luckily, retro bikes are often essentially new old bikes, not like retro cars which just nod to the original (I drive a New Beetle though and long for a Mini or Fiat)
Old bikes are demanding; much more so than old cars.

Parts are sometimes hard to find. Reliability...well, as reliability of products has improved, so have our expectations.

Old bikes have lots of worn items; either worn or corroded with disuse; or both. A bearing failure, or a clutch-pack letting go, or just a wheel bearing...or even just FINDING A TIRE, can be an enthusiasm-sapping ordeal.

I know. I had gotten a clean Honda Silver Wing, the CX500 variant, not the scooter. A mini Gold Wing, it was called...a 1983. And I loved it; loved riding it.

Problem was...the brakes were worn. And there WERE NO parts. Honda had closed the book on that model; it was a bike brought out at the wrong time and it didn't sell. So there was no support.

I wound up giving it away to settle a debt. And it was a great, fuel-efficient touring ride, too...just before turning it over, I rode it from central South Dakota to Michigan's Upper Peninsula, bad brakes and all.

So...honestly, I'd look for something a few years old. I'll join the others in recommending a TU250; I had one briefly and it's a great ride. Light and responsive and will cruise at 60-65.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #27
kittty OP
ScooterGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
So...honestly, I'd look for something a few years old. I'll join the others in recommending a TU250; I had one briefly and it's a great ride. Light and responsive and will cruise at 60-65.
Sorry if I was unclear, when I say retro bikes, I mean new bikes that are retro styled, not actual vintage bikes :) I'm in no position to maintain a vintage bike right now, which is why I like that there are so many options to get new retro bikes, as opposed to new retro styled cars.

I would have loved to get an actual vintage Vespa, but I didn't think that was really in my best interest, which is why I went with Stella. A lot of people think the new Vespas have a vintage/retro look to them, but it's simply a nod to it, like a new Mini to an old Mini, new Beetle to old Beetle, new Charger to old Charger, and so on. They're not the same. Stella IS the same, she's just a new old scooter, which is basically what I'm looking for in a motorcycle.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #28
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753

CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #29
kittty OP
ScooterGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-ger View Post
For info you might try http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/
They tell both the good and bad.
For what it's worth I'm 60 years old and when I was a kid I wanted an Enfield or BSA single, so 45 years later I bought a 2012 G5 Bullet. I love it. Thought I bought it as a toy but it has become my commuter and gets more miles than my "real" bike.
The new UCE engine is supposed to be much more reliable than the AVL or Cast Iron engines. Hydraulic lifters, electric start, front disc brake and much less maintenance.
This is what I like to hear! Thanks for your review, I'll have to check out their forum too. I'm on forum overload lately lol. Also I thought I bought Stella as a toy, I was having a close-to-midlife crisis I think and needed to get something new and fun. I never thought I'd be riding it to work and basically only driving my car when it rained. Last month, 900 miles on Stella, 300 on my car. Only because I didn't get the courage to ride to work until a couple weeks ago, this month will be even less on the car.

I bought it thinking it was frivolous, but I now feel frivolous driving a four seater car that gets 24 MPG when I'm by myself. It paid for itself in gas last month.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #30
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

What holds you back from getting the 883 Iron?