User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #16
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,326
Gorilla Tape to the rescue...

That was Garth's chain guard. When I pointed out that it was broken, he pulled some Gorilla Tape from his bag and we fixed it. I like Gorilla Tape more than duct tape. They both taste foul though, use a knife. I brought rope, Velcro, gear wraps and ALMOST every tool my bike could need. Garth brought Gorilla Tape. I'm glad he did.

Unrelated pic:

8gv screwed with this post 08-10-2012 at 08:34 AM
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:48 AM   #17
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

There were churches everywhere. It seems that no matter how difficult the circumstances of living in these rural areas are, there is money to keep the churches going. Their constant presence gave me comfort in the event that I had chosen to repent.

This non church was huge, looked expensive and was in the middle of nowhere:

The folks enjoying the pool there looked up and pointed as we rode by. It kind of made me feel like a deer.

8gv screwed with this post 08-09-2012 at 04:46 PM
Old 08-09-2012, 01:03 AM   #18
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

At some point somewhere, we encountered a serendipitous disorientation. Looking back at the route files on MapSource, I believe we had wondered off the route. As we rolled through the narrow curving road I noticed a little dead end road depicted on my GPS. We stopped and turned up it. It went uphill and was in great shape but really narrow and twisty with vegatation hanging over on both sides. Any encounters with other vehicles on this road would definately result in trading paint. At the top there was a 360* view and a parking lot. There were remains of footings for an antenna or fire tower. Checking the map, I now know this place as "Reddish Knob".

The view:

Garth's watch said we were at 4260'

8gv screwed with this post 08-15-2012 at 09:16 PM
Old 08-09-2012, 01:15 AM   #19
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Again, maybe in no particular order...

We camped at Douthat SP in a new section called Whispering Pines. It was very clean with the best looking restrooms I've ever seen at a campground.

Our site was really better suited to RV's but it was fine for us.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:18 AM   #20
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

So does a bear really shit in the woods? Our campsite?

I have no idea, they were only nuts of some kind.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:21 AM   #21
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Douthat also has this awesome lake with lakeside tentsites, which we didn't get, even on the way back.

8gv screwed with this post 08-15-2012 at 09:27 PM
Old 08-09-2012, 01:28 AM   #22
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Chow time...

We never really established a pattern for meal time. Sometimes we had a big breakfast and skipped lunch. Other days we had a very late lunch and snacks for supper. We brought some Ramen Noddles and Mountain House freeze dried backpacking food. What we really wanted was to find some good BBQ and cook steaks over the camp fire.

We found this for BBQ. I know it's rotated but it wasn't good enough for me to reorientate the pic.

8gv screwed with this post 08-15-2012 at 09:18 PM
Old 08-09-2012, 01:33 AM   #23
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

A minor regret for the trip was not seeking out popular local eateries. It seemed that the mission we had set for ourselves allowed minimal time to smell the roses and maximum time to smell exhaust.

However, we did see this:
(you can fill in your own caption)

Old 08-09-2012, 02:04 AM   #24
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

There are some more difficult sections on the TET and we planned to do all of them on the way down. Our timing was bad and we didn't want to get stuck out in deer territory after dark so deferred them to the return trip. Our southern most campground was Hungry Mother SP. I have trouble thinking "Hungry Mother" without the next word but anyway it was first rate like Douthat. It too had a nice lake with lakesiide camping...which we didn't go to.

We did manage to score a site right next to the restrooms.

8gv screwed with this post 08-15-2012 at 09:28 PM
Old 08-09-2012, 02:18 AM   #25
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

So now we turned northbound to retrace the route back to Duncannon. Well, almost that...
We missed the tougher sections on the way down and had planned a detour over to Skyline Drive as well. We had a good breakfast at Denny's and headed for the route sections marked in blue and black. The blue was a little more aggressive than what we'd been on so far this trip. Some large mud puddles spiced it up a bit. Well wrong way Rich missed the turn to the black trail.

We backtracked through the puddles and headed down a pretty washed out two track. The storm damage clearers were not as diligent here. At one point the road was ambiguous and we strayed over to some power lines.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:30 AM   #26
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It was on the way down the errant power line trail that I had a zero mph get off of the falling tree variety. I assure you it was done intentionally and for training purposes only. Garth had the GoPro running but the lens was fogged up so as is often said here...pics or it didn't happen.

Ok, so here are some cows. They have nothing to do with this part of the RR but I know you like pictures and we didn't take any because we were trying not to get killed riding the black trail 700 miles from home.

8gv screwed with this post 08-15-2012 at 09:21 PM
Old 08-09-2012, 02:47 AM   #27
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

We got back onto the black trail and it was looking EXTRA black to me.

I believe that a crappy two track can easily be worse than single track.

The steep downhill section has a deep washout on the right side. It's full of very loose baby heads and other bike thrashers. The high side looks a lot better but has two issues. First, it's next to the middle which is formed like a Mr. T Mohawk. If you get either wheel up against that it's going to get interesting pretty quick. Second, did I mention the lack of storm damage clearing? Taking the high side is only temporary. The first tree in your face and your headed for the low side. I took the low side. I figured I'd be there soon enough anyway.

On the way down I was having some thoughts. Will my wife come see me in the hospital 700 miles from home? Will she send me a card? Will my bike become part of someone's still? Meth lab?

The GPS shows the road ending at the stream and then starting again farther down stream. I expected to have to ride the bike through a lot of water but it was only 20' or so before the road reappeared. After that we had a few trees to go under and some crowns to roll over.

Once off the black and onto the blue it was really nice riding.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:57 AM   #28
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

We pressed on to the north and joined up on the second blue section. It was heaven!

There was lush greenery, ridge running with the cliff of death on both sides now but a comfortable plateau in the middle.

We came to a primitive campsite with a stone fire ring:

And then we found a smaller campsite with a great rocky overlook:

Old 08-09-2012, 03:02 AM   #29
8gv OP
Beastly Adventurer

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

We were very tempted to call it a day and cowboy camp right there. Unfortunately, we didn't have enough water with us and the pressure of the mission plan trumped.

Were I to do this trip again, I'd shoot for 125 mile days with more time spent seeing the sights. It kind of sucks when you arrive in a very cool place only to have to say, that's nice but we gotta go.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:43 AM   #30
redroom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
TET Riding

Cool report--looking forward to more words and whatever pics show. Tha Mother is a fine place to visit and with many wonderful roads in the area.

PBS/
2001 BMW R1150GS
redroom is offline   Reply With Quote