Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
hardpackrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
touratech headlamp protector install 2012 GSA

hey inmates.

so got the Touratech part no. 01-044-5090-0 the removable plexiglas rock guard for the headlamp.

I've been emailing Touratech-USA .. (what a time I'm having), anyway my issue is that the OEM blinker has a small "tab" that locked the blinker in the correct position... well, when u add the width of the bracket (that holds on the plexiglas rock guard), the little tab no longer is able to engage with the frame to "lock" the blinker in the correct position..

the guy at touratech had a heck of a time understanding my question.. so I made a YouTube video.. (picture worth a thousand words and all that..)

see vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn8dZVGkR54

anyway, I'd like to hear from anyone that has installed this particular part on their OEM blinker GSA 2005- onward.

my take on it is you just force it, and the tab becomes useless.. the screw doing all the "alignment chores", ... I don't see any other way.. but then again I'm pretty dense.

I've no prob just jamming it together... just seems so.. uhm, un-BMW like...

thanks for your help..

hardpackrider.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives. William Wallace
I'm working on that Bill... it's why I'm here. hardpackrider
hardpackrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:58 PM   #2
dirtyoffroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
that little tab should flex enough so the signal stock can rotate.I did the install,anI'm sure many others have as well.If it still bothers you,carefully remove material on the stock with a razor knife to make up for the stainless bracket.
dirtyoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:36 AM   #3
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,530
Hmm. I have the mesh screen which uses the same mounting brackets and the install was very easy. I never rotated the signal stem though. I just popped it in and out. I think mine came with longer screw to compensate for the bracket width.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:46 AM   #4
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,447
touratech headlamp protector install 2012 GSA

I've a similar unit on my '09 and there was enough flex on the little rubber tab on the signnal stalk for installation. Give it a shot and, if it doesn't work, I'm certain Touratech will do the right thing.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:30 AM   #5
1V-MAN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardpackrider View Post
hey inmates.

so got the Touratech part no. 01-044-5090-0 the removable plexiglas rock guard for the headlamp.

I have the plexi/stainless combo on my 2010

I've been emailing Touratech-USA .. (what a time I'm having), anyway my issue is that the OEM blinker has a small "tab" that locked the blinker in the correct position... well, when u add the width of the bracket (that holds on the plexiglas rock guard), the little tab no longer is able to engage with the frame to "lock" the blinker in the correct position..

The tab WILL engage the same as it came off, the rubber will "flex" enough to lock into place

the guy at touratech had a heck of a time understanding my question.. so I made a YouTube video.. (picture worth a thousand words and all that..)

see vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn8dZVGkR54

anyway, I'd like to hear from anyone that has installed this particular part on their OEM blinker GSA 2005- onward.

my take on it is you just force it, and the tab becomes useless.. the screw doing all the "alignment chores", ... I don't see any other way.. but then again I'm pretty dense.

I would not force it enough to break anything or chew up the tab, did you actually try to fit the bracket or are you just eyeballing the space?

I've no prob just jamming it together... just seems so.. uhm, un-BMW like...

thanks for your help..

hardpackrider.
* Reply in red
Old 02-17-2012, 06:26 AM   #6
Iron Rey
Oh shit, not him!

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertash View Post
Hmm. I have the mesh screen which uses the same mounting brackets and the install was very easy. I never rotated the signal stem though. I just popped it in and out. I think mine came with longer screw to compensate for the bracket width.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have this one as well, don't sweat the alignment, I have probably 50K miles between two bike I have had this on with no problems. One bit of advice I will give you though is to invest in the glare protector (the "eyelid" that they sell) if I remember correctly it fits on the removable protector but not the permanent intalled one, but that is a difficult install due to screw location.
Iron Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
kevin g
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Yes, a bit un-BMW.

Mine went on without trouble and the little tabs don't seem to affect the installation. The signals stay in alignment. The glare is very pronounced and I have to get the glare shield. The engineer in me wants to know what the percentage of light transmission is, ignoring dirt that is.

I think I would prefer a guard that fits against the headlight lens and stays on with velcro, that way there is no glare to deal with.
kevin g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
Wandering Nomad
Obsessive Traveller

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g View Post
Mine went on without trouble and the little tabs don't seem to affect the installation. The signals stay in alignment. The glare is very pronounced and I have to get the glare shield. The engineer in me wants to know what the percentage of light transmission is, ignoring dirt that is.

I think I would prefer a guard that fits against the headlight lens and stays on with velcro, that way there is no glare to deal with.
I have one of those laying out in the garage. I put the TT on it it's place with the glare gaurd.
The one that went on with velcro fell off twice. I cleaned the glass surface as instructed too. I live near the bay here in the Houston area and the humidity was doing it in I think.

Lewis
Wandering Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
AntVan_ZA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Indeed very Un-BMW

I have the exact same setup.

Here's my tip: don't clip the clips out. Unscrew the screws, wiggle the metal parts between the indicator and the body (while the indicator is still attached using the clip) and refasten the screws. The clips will hold. Like the Ghostbuster said: "Trust me, I'm a scientist."

AntVan_ZA screwed with this post 02-17-2012 at 09:35 PM
AntVan_ZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
hardpackrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
heh, i like it. Thank you very much for your help.. I'm sure as soon as I start dropping this bike all over the place, I'll be a bit less. concerned about this shit, but what I am learning, (from reading this site daily) is, that I need to relax and enjoy this great machine more, and worry about it less. Best advice I got from my local (SF) master tech.. (I'm paraphrasing), "Don't ride this bike like a P$&sy."

I'll work on that.

thanks for your input... I appreciate all your advice and comments.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives. William Wallace
I'm working on that Bill... it's why I'm here. hardpackrider
hardpackrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #11
wb5plj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
the rest of the story?...

hi, I know this has been dormant for a bit but I wanted to find out what you finally did? how did it work and wethere you where happy with it or not. I have the same issue when I got mine in the mail. there is just NO play exactly like yours. I was concerned that the blinkers would not remain stable and or if I removed the guard the blinker stalks would not work as originally intended.

could you give me an update on how it worked out? thanks.
wb5plj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #12
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,768
I also had to trim the tab the width of the mounting bracket on my 2011 GSA.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #13
Willie B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
I've got this set up on my '09. Just stick the tab in the bracket and tighten the bolt that holds the signal sandwiching the bracket. I have numerous bikes that get parked close and sometimes when squeezing between the GS and another bike, the tab gets bumped out and the turn signal gets misaligned. I think this has happened twice in 3 years. It is what it is. I've ridden mine at excessive speeds having a mirror blow around but never had an issue with the front signals moving. Snug it up and worry about something else.
Willie B is offline   Reply With Quote