Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #76
Poway
SHED (Shit Head)

Oddometer: 484
Cheap Advice (worth every thing you pd for it)

Gman, I strongly recommend you drain the Red Line Shock proof and use it as heating oil-burn it. That stuff was a time bomb for me. Destroyed my rear drive and almost blew up my tranny. If my memory serves me, it is not a GL fluid. Good luck.
Never again in my bikes!
Poway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #77
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanVic View Post
... If anybody wants a copy, assuming it is not a huge violation of copyright...PM me.
If you bought an original-from-BMW CD then yes it would be a copyright violation. And probably a violation of the rules of this site to offer it here.

If you bought a homemade copy of it, then you got ripped off and there is already a copyright violation.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #78
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanVic View Post
Thanks vintagerider. I got a deal on the techlusion so I did buy one. I have not replaced any intake parts, but I checked the TBs and vicinity for leaks using both propane and WD40 but didn't seem to be any... I will take another look with special attention to the seal arounf the fuel injector. The "tecillusion" is still unopened so could return it, I'm sure.

What is GL5? And are you saying straight 90 weight, not 80w90? I chose Redline Shockproof because I read that it might spooth up the shifting a bit...it hasn't really.
Integrated o-ring seal on the early rubber intake manifold wasn't very good. Very likely that you have intake leaks even if not detected with the "wd40 test". Take off the manifold and you'll see how deteriorated it is. For what its worth, a few of the OZ inmates report "re-sealing" with O2 safe sealer. Buy new ones if you can.

http://www.largiader.com/tech/oiltrans/interview.html
Old 04-22-2013, 06:06 PM   #79
GmanVic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
If you bought an original-from-BMW CD then yes it would be a copyright violation. And probably a violation of the rules of this site to offer it here.

If you bought a homemade copy of it, then you got ripped off and there is already a copyright violation.
Edited my post. Thanks Anton
GmanVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #80
GmanVic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poway View Post
Gman, I strongly recommend you drain the Red Line Shock proof and use it as heating oil-burn it. That stuff was a time bomb for me. Destroyed my rear drive and almost blew up my tranny. If my memory serves me, it is not a GL fluid. Good luck.
Never again in my bikes!
Thanks Poway. I will consider that. I have just refilled with "that red stuff" but someone else (vintagerider?) also suggested that it is not good. How can you attribute your FD fail to the Shockproof? And "almost blew up my trans" -- what does that mean? Please tell me more!
Old 04-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #81
GmanVic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagerider View Post
Thank you VintageRider...here's the relevant (trans-oil relate) excerpt below. It appears that Redline is *not* GL5 rated.

MO: What kind of oil recommendation for the BMW transmission can you give us?

SCHAETZLE: Oil should be seen as an integral part of the transmission. When designing the transmission the load bearing capability of the oil is part of the calculation. We fill the BMW transmissions with SAE 90 GL 5 gear oil manufactured by Fuchs, a brand mainly found as an OEM supplier.

SOMMER: SAE 90-Oil should be used throughout the whole year. It is true that in winter the shifting will suffer at first from the thick oil, but it should improve during a very short ride. For those to whom this is disturbing, because they make many short trips, for example, can use 75w90 GL 5 in winter as an alternative. In summer it must be changed back to SAE 90 GL 5.

MO: How do you regard oil additives?

SCHAETZLE: Oil additives are always factors which cannot be taken into account when designing and building a transmission. In the best case they don't do any harm. For example, it has not been researched yet how oil additives might react with the new "clean bearings". We therefore rigorously recommend against their use, especially in automotive transmissions. Synchro rings, for example, function only if they can exert some braking effect on the gear wheels. Special extra-slippery additives can result in big damages.

GmanVic screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 09:21 PM
Old 04-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #82
GmanVic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Integrated o-ring seal on the early rubber intake manifold wasn't very good. Very likely that you have intake leaks even if not detected with the "wd40 test". Take off the manifold and you'll see how deteriorated it is. For what its worth, a few of the OZ inmates report "re-sealing" with O2 safe sealer. Buy new ones if you can.
I feel this probably belongs on a separate thread, but not sure where or how...so forging on here...

The intake manifold rubber looks quite worn...note the cracking:

And crazing.

And was this flattened out pos once an O-ring? It's not recognizable as such! :-)
Old 05-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #83
GmanVic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well the bike is all back together - pretty smoothly! And running as well as it ever did. I think the good old Dino Oil GL5 shifts just as well or better compared to the Redline Shockproof -- I ended up using 80w90.

It was great to reread this thread in the process, and some of the pictures I took really helped. Thank you all for the amazing help!

Now, getting the bike ready for an Alaska Adventure in June!

I am going to order new intake manifolds as per the previous post.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #84
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,982
GmanVic, Great manifold pics. I've seen where they look fine on the outside but are trashed-just like rubber brake hoses. Have fun on your Alaska ride!
Old 05-31-2013, 12:54 AM   #85
GmanVic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
GmanVic, Great manifold pics. I've seen where they look fine on the outside but are trashed-just like rubber brake hoses. Have fun on your Alaska ride!
Thanks! It feels like the journey is already begun, having challenges, solving problems, hanging out with great guys, and having fun!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #86
GmanVic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Whew. There and back again. The Alaska Adventure 2013 was a huge success and all my mechanicking held up just fine over 10,000km of rain, mud, heat, gravel, speed, bugs and dirt!

Thanks for all your help!

(I have posted a bit about the trip in Ride Reports forum.)