User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Dawn to Dusk Enduro

I'm looking into doing thedawn to Dusk enduro next year and was wondering if anyone knows where I can rent a bike for the event? I live in Vermont USA, so riding there might be a problem Thank you for the help in advance!
Old 08-10-2012, 03:13 AM   #2
Snafu2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Speak to Touratech
http://www.dawntoduskenduro.co.uk/

or Desert Rose

http://www.adventureridingacademy.com/
Old 08-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Thank you, I will!
Old 08-12-2012, 02:47 AM   #4
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,210
Rent the bike for a few days extra and I'll take you trail riding in Wiltshire.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possu View Post
Rent the bike for a few days extra and I'll take you trail riding in Wiltshire.
That sounds great! Green laneing, is that what you guys call it?
Old 08-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
Possu
de-nOObed!

In the UK there's a confusing variety of trails to ride (Byways, UCR's etc), we tend to lump them all under the name of (legal) greenlanes, hence the name. The terrain can vary massively depending where you are and the time of year. Some of the more remote areas in the north actually have fewer legal lanes than the more densely populated south.

Wales is the first choice for many whilst we're lucky to have the county of Wiltshire a few miles to the south which has several hundred miles of byways and lanes plus there's Dorset, Hampshire and Salisbury Plain all within easy reach.

Let me know nearer the time.

If youb ask the right people, I'm sure you'll be given guided tours of the North Wales lanes also.

Possu screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 01:14 PM
Possu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
Louisdut
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
I'm looking into doing thedawn to Dusk enduro next year and was wondering if anyone knows where I can rent a bike for the event? I live in Vermont USA, so riding there might be a problem Thank you for the help in advance!

Hi

Go with renting form Desert Rose, Patsy & Zippy (Clive) will help you all the way they always have a team racing there

Having done the first D2D and only missing two years (3 years including this one) racing the 24 hour solo races the last two years. I know a little of this race so if you need any help let me know

I live 2 hours drive form this event and have a spare room if you need it before/after the event. Not 100% sure what I’ll be up to next year but would like to race there again so let me know nearer the time

Louis

PS Maybe able to help with some greenlanes in Wales but you will not want to trail ride for a few days after the race as it can be a little tough if its been wet a few days before the event
Louisdut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisdut View Post
Hi

Go with renting form Desert Rose, Patsy & Zippy (Clive) will help you all the way they always have a team racing there

Having done the first D2D and only missing two years (3 years including this one) racing the 24 hour solo races the last two years. I know a little of this race so if you need any help let me know

I live 2 hours drive form this event and have a spare room if you need it before/after the event. Not 100% sure what I’ll be up to next year but would like to race there again so let me know nearer the time

Louis

PS Maybe able to help with some greenlanes in Wales but you will not want to trail ride for a few days after the race as it can be a little tough if its been wet a few days before the event

Thank you for the kind offers, you British are OK I just started enduro riding this year, so I figured I would try the 12 hour first and then see how I do. I'm not the fastest guy but what I lack in speed, I gain in ethusiasm. Is the Dawn till Dusk tend to be wet anyway? I ride in the same sort of terrain here in New England, so I know the drill.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:32 AM   #9
max medic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
bike rental

I will be seeing Patsy on Sunday, I can ask her about D2D bike rental if you would like me to.

Max
Old 08-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #10
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by max medic View Post
I will be seeing Patsy on Sunday, I can ask her about D2D bike rental if you would like me to.

Max
That would be great, thank you! I emailed Her for information about a rally a few years ago and never got a response.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #11
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Well, just paid my entry for the 2013 event and I'm starting to look for rental opportunities. So far the plan is to do the event total ghetto style, sleeping on park benches with a backpack. I've never been to England or Europe, so I guess throwing myself in the deep end is the best plan for me. I did the same thing in Mexico last year and everything worked out fine.

I'm just an average rider and I don't plan on begging for money but I will be on a budget. I'm looking into shipping a bike while I'm exploring rental options to see which one is cost effective. I entered the marathon vet class, which means 24hr and I'm over 40

Any words of wisdom from you guys across the pond?
Old 03-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
Snafu2
Adventurer

Yep bring your waterproofs.
Hire a van and sleep on site for the weekend. I wouldn't use a tent, you might be lucky with the weather but then again I can't recall the last time it was dry there or not windy.
If it's thoroughly wet you'll need lots of brake pads and possibly a front sprocket in your spares.
We'll be there for the week, see you there.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:15 AM   #13
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu2 View Post
Yep bring your waterproofs.
Hire a van and sleep on site for the weekend. I wouldn't use a tent, you might be lucky with the weather but then again I can't recall the last time it was dry there or not windy.
If it's thoroughly wet you'll need lots of brake pads and possibly a front sprocket in your spares.
We'll be there for the week, see you there.
That's great advice, thank you! I'm going to rent a Wicked Van, which solves my transportation problem and of course my lodging problem. Do you guys have truck stops on the highways that offer showers for truckers? We have them in the states. I'm amazed at how close everything is in England. I drove 8 hours to ride an Enduro in NJ last weekend and that's one way.

I've got Emails into Patsy, Si Pavey, GasGasUK, RallyRaidUK and Touratech asking about bike rental suggestions. Very much looking forward to this trip!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #14
Possu
de-nOObed!

Let us know when you're going to be here.

The offer of ttrailriding still stands, I'm organising a weekend of riding in Wiltshire at the same time as D2D but can take you out the Sunday before or after if you're about.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #15
Snafu2
Adventurer

It may be worth contacting AJP Moto UK
http://www.ajpmotos.co.uk/contact_us/
They where there last year giving the new 250 a big advertising push, they're big on their grass routes sport so may make a thing of it.