ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2012, 06:19 AM   #1
AST236 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,972
Lower Alabama Dual Sporters

How about a thread for folks in LA, Lower Alabama as well as the Florida panhandle that ride DR's, KLR's, XRL's, Transalps and similar type bikes?

Obviously any rider is welcome to chime in, but I think there are lots of us that ride pretty generic dualsports and use them mostly for commuting, exploring dirt roads and general leisure time rides.

The area from Montgomery to Pensacola, from Mobile to Dothan, has some great roads and some nice scenery.

So post up here and include a pic or two of your ride, where you're located and what kind of riding you do and would like to do.

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:26 AM   #2
AST236 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here's my current ride, a '98 DR650. Pretty much stock and has just over 8K miles. I bought it in March and have put 2K miles on it since then.

I live in Evergreen, about halfway between Mobile and Montgomery, on I-65 and use the bike mostly for errands around town, bombing around the backroads and the occasional longer ride. I've just bought some Wolfman saddlebags and a tank bag and hope to try some overnight trips to nearby camping areas this fall.

I have one brother in law here in town w/ an '07 XR650L and another brother in law in Montgomery w/ an '05 KLR 650. We try to get together when we can and just take off for a day and explore back roads and interesting looking dirt roads. It's amazing what you find when you get off the beaten path.

I don't like sand.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:18 AM   #3
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
I agree it's amazing what you can find on alabama backroads. I had a route plotted down your way to start this morning, but the main point was to ride the ferry at Haines Island, and now I've found out it's not open on weekends and it closes at 4:00. The route I planned wouldn't have me there until saturday morning. I hope you get some input with dirt routes and pics on this thread.
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
N68Quebec
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hey, I know this is an old thread, but I would like to find someone to go riding with here around Ft Rucker/Dothan. I have found a couple of cool places to ride, but would like to explore with someone else. If anyone is down, I will be here til mid December, then back in January til Mid February.

Josh
N68Quebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
AST236 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Welcome, Josh. Tune in to the Pensacola Area Riders and some of the Tallahassee threads. Lots of guys in the tri states area near you.

I'm 100 miles west of you. What are you riding?

I don't like sand.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
N68Quebec
n00b

Hi! 2012 690 Enduro. I'll look those up. I have seen a couple of dual sporters around here, but I am off screwing around when I see them and haven't been able to chase them down.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
AST236 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Pensacola Area Riders thread covers a lot of territory, including pretty close to where you are. Several 690's and lots of orange bikes.

Do a search for inmate Vico1 and shoot him a PM. He's the unofficial ringleader of that bunch, a ridiculously fast rider, and a heck of a nice guy.

Tell him I said hello......

I don't like sand.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
N68Quebec
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by AST236 View Post
Pensacola Area Riders thread covers a lot of territory, including pretty close to where you are. Several 690's and lots of orange bikes.

Do a search for inmate Vico1 and shoot him a PM. He's the unofficial ringleader of that bunch, a ridiculously fast rider, and a heck of a nice guy.

Tell him I said hello......
Wilco. Thanks!

Josh
Old 11-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
AST236 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Check 6 and stay safe.

Frank

I don't like sand.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #10
Noworries
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
AST,
With over 300 views on this thread, one would think it would be easy to put together a group dual sport day ride. When you get things caught up, get with me.

Did Turkey Trot V down in Holt. Good people and good riding.
Noworries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:26 PM   #11
AST236 OP
Beastly Adventurer

What's up? I think geography and population density (or lack thereof) is working against us. Lots of dualsporters in the Florida panhandle and a few around Dothan/Rucker, but not a lot of ADV forum folks in between.

Get w/ some of your riding buddies and get them on here!

I hate I missed the Trot. There is some good riding down there and some really good guys.

My son, John, had back surgery Monday, so we're trying to get him back on his feet. I'll give you a call in the next few days. Maybe we can get together before it gets too cold.

I don't like sand.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
bduke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Hey Noworries,

We need to get the ride planned we discussed at the turkey trot. I talked to Glenn and he okayed parking/camping at Perry Mountain Motorcycle Club. We need to get a date set and start planning the route. I would like to set it up the way the turkey trot was done with a fast group, intermediate group and a slower group.
bduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #13
Noworries
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bduke View Post
Hey Noworries,

We need to get the ride planned we discussed at the turkey trot. I talked to Glenn and he okayed parking/camping at Perry Mountain Motorcycle Club. We need to get a date set and start planning the route. I would like to set it up the way the turkey trot was done with a fast group, intermediate group and a slower group.
That sounds good. Give me a call and we can start working on a date.
Noworries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:24 AM   #14
forrestrider
Dont Do Stupid Shit..

Oddometer: 1,720
Needed a Bump

Any one going to Last Ride the 30th?
Old 12-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #15
AST236 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'd like to, but the wife and I are pulling the camper to Gulf Shores for a few days. I may try to ride later in the week if it warms up some...

I don't like sand.