User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2014, 02:12 AM   #1
dunno_where OP
130km open roads!

Oddometer: 302
Darwin to Wagait Road

Took an early morning ride to Wagait Beach (Mandorah). For those of you who don't know Wagait Beach, it is across the harbour from Darwin City. There is a ferry that goes daily which takes about 20 mins. By road it takes about 1hr 45mins. A lot of people live at Wagait Beach and commute everyday to Darwin for work. Its a nice little trip on the ferry to Wagait Beach but it's also a nice little ride there too.

Started out from Beerimah this morning. Instead of taking the Stuart Highway, I followed Beerimah Road, then onto Kirkland Drive, Elrunde Avenue and Channel Island Road. Taking the turn off to Jenkins Road (which goes to the Stuart H/W) then right onto Finn Road. Finn Road is a straight line but it has it's ups and downs. In taking this route I have actually added another 15 - 20 mins on my trip. Who really cares though, as it was truly a typical dry season day and a really good excuse to get out an about.

Finn Road comes out to Cox Penninsula Road turn off. If you go left here, it'll take you to the Stuart highway. Going right will take you to Dundee Beach, back entry to Litchfield National Park, Bynoe Harbour and Wagait Beach, my destination for today.

It is a nice ride from Berry Springs to Wagait Beach. Nice sweeping bends and some nice country to look at along the way. The Ninja soaked up the bumps and was loving stretching her legs. The speed limit along here is 110km/h. The tall 6th gear on the Ninja really shines here. I was able to open her up a bit here but had to evade a massive snake in the middle of the road. Upon approach the snake didn't seem to move, but as I got close it started to slither over to the opposite lane.

Belyuen is an Aboriginal Community along the way. There is food and fuel available if you really need it at this stage but Wagait Beach isn't that far away. Just be cautious here as there are often people walking along the roads from and to the communities.

You come to a T intersection. You can only go left here as there is a locked gate to the right. Further up the road is another T intersection. If you've got a dual sporter of adventure machine, go left here and visit the crashed Liberator aircraft site. The site is well sign posted but it is an unsealed road and there are some deep holes.

So if youre on a road machine, go right to Wagait Beach. There is a police presence at Wagait Beach so watch your speed. Follow this road all the way until you can't go any further. You'll come to ocean, Darwin Harbour. There is a pier for the ferry. A great perspective of Darwin from across the harbour. Take the time and go out on the pier and enjoy the view. This particular day is was blowing a gale.

From here, I headed back along the road to the pier. Taking the turn off to Wagait Tower Road, there is food, fuel and other services available here if you need it. I continued on to the end of the road, turned right and followed it all the way to the end. There are various beach access tracks if you want to go out on the beach. The last one at the end of the road is the easiest to access for road machines. I had a packed lunch with me so I stopped here for a while and chilled out of the beach.

Packing up from here its basically the reverse route home from here. I followed it back to Berry Springs were I got fuel from the Caltex. I took Finn Road again back to Darwin again.

As I said before you can go a couple of ways to get there. It all depends on how much time you got. There aren't a lot of things to see and do over there but it is definitely a good trip none the less.

2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS Sport-Tourer
dunno_where is offline   Reply With Quote