Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #211
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,934
Day 16

We tore up the Taylor Highway and...

stopped for ice cream in Chicken, AK. Although it's farther away from civilization, Chicken just seemed like Tortilla Flats, AZ.

The Taylor Highway was more fun than hanging around Chicken.

We saw lots of other motorcycles.

Helen remarked later that she couldn't believe we had to pass so many.

She wanted to know why the other riders were going so slow.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #212
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 634
Best one yet....

Dave & Helen,

I've read all of your RR's Dave but these photos are the best of all. Thanks for taking the time to bring adventure to some of us old folks directly from our recliners! I can't do so much anymore but it's nice to be able to read yet! Great going.....(We're in A.J. in the wintertime.)

Gary "Oldone"

Oldone screwed with this post 08-19-2012 at 07:17 PM
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #213
laser3
Laser

Oddometer: 3
Next summer

Very nice, and very good information for my future trip. I spend part of my birthday reading your trip.! 49 today.
laser3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #214
melsman
Great White North GS'r

Oddometer: 76
Good Reaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
I'm sure I forgot some other perfectly good reasons to ride a motorcycle to Deadhorse. If you know of any others, please explain so that even my family can understand.
When you are in a cage, you are watching a movie,
when on a bike, you're IN the movie!!

Great report, just found it tonight, can't stop reading.

We just missed you in Oregon, were there 2 weeks ago
Old 08-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #215
eye.surgeon
...riding California

Oddometer: 221
Amazing ride report, one of the best on adv. The photography is excellent. I enjoy the HDR stuff but the more realistic photos you took are just as beautiful. Can't wait to read more.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:11 AM   #216
Mike M
On the Border

Oddometer: 1,454
Always dreaming of a trip to Alaska----now dreaming vicariously through the two of you!

I may move to Arizona soon and your RR is inspiring to turn my dream into reality.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #217
Olorin_the_13th
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post

I had no idea it was so beautiful.

Hmn. I'm not too sure about this.

Often I cannot stop wondering: "Why do I find it beautiful here, were others don't?"
Have no definite answer yet, but I guess it has to do a little with having no real expectations and the childishness remaining - the ability to stare in awe and wonder on the small things absolutely normal to the rest of people.

If one wants to suck every life out of each moment possible and to do so tries to find the inherent beauty in exactly everything, over time one develops an eye for these small diamonds in grey mud.
So to speak. Yep, I think this could be it.

Anyways, you had your diamond with you all the time. Would be nice to know, what Helen was thinking of this trip, what her philosophical moments were. Being her first big thing and everything....mind to share?

And by the way, having seen so much in so little time - as with on your other rides - did you ever get the feeling of exhaustion, of "too much"?
If so, how do you deal with it?

And now, keep on telling your story^^
Olorin_the_13th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #218
InTheMuck
So it goes...

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin_the_13th View Post
Hmn. I'm not too sure about this.

Often I cannot stop wondering: "Why do I find it beautiful here, were others don't?"
Have no definite answer yet, but I guess it has to do a little with having no real expectations and the childishness remaining - the ability to stare in awe and wonder on the small things absolutely normal to the rest of people.

If one wants to suck every life out of each moment possible and to do so tries to find the inherent beauty in exactly everything, over time one develops an eye for these small diamonds in grey mud.
So to speak. Yep, I think this could be it.

Anyways, you had your diamond with you all the time. Would be nice to know, what Helen was thinking of this trip, what her philosophical moments were. Being her first big thing and everything....mind to share?

And by the way, having seen so much in so little time - as with on your other rides - did you ever get the feeling of exhaustion, of "too much"?

And now, keep on telling your story^^
Great post Olorin...an insightful reply and some very good questions

“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list."
InTheMuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #219
x-box
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I think this is my first official post on this forum, but I could not help commenting....
This trip report is just awesome - it's got everything I would love to have in a trip, and the photography is sensational!
I can watch and learn/experience other places through the poster's lens and words, and dream of the day that I gather the time/courage to do something along a similar vein - till then I need to get some more miles on the bike and get my experience up a bit, but the day will come
Bravo - fantastic effort/report - love it!
x-box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #220
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Top of the World Highway

We finished up the Taylor Highway

Border Crossing

The Border Crossing at Poker Creek is the farthest north crossing in the US.

Once in Canada we are on the Top of the World Highway

We enjoyed the fast ride here and even shot some video.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #221
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
Dave & Helen,

I've read all of your RR's Dave but these photos are the best of all. Thanks for taking the time to bring adventure to some of us old folks directly from our recliners! I can't do so much anymore but it's nice to be able to read yet! Great going.....(We're in A.J. in the wintertime.)

Gary "Oldone"
Hi Oldone. It is nice to know my reports can brighten your day. Thanks for joining us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser3 View Post

Very nice, and very good information for my future trip. I spend part of my birthday reading your trip.! 49 today.
49? You'd better hurry! Just kidding. I hope your trip is as fun as ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melsman View Post
When you are in a cage, you are watching a movie,
when on a bike, you're IN the movie!!

Great report, just found it tonight, can't stop reading.

We just missed you in Oregon, were there 2 weeks ago
Great point melsman! Thanks!
Old 08-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #222
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

I'm still thinking, Olorin_the_13th

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye.surgeon View Post
Amazing ride report, one of the best on adv. The photography is excellent. I enjoy the HDR stuff but the more realistic photos you took are just as beautiful. Can't wait to read more.
Thanks for the compliments, Doc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Always dreaming of a trip to Alaska----now dreaming vicariously through the two of you!

I may move to Arizona soon and your RR is inspiring to turn my dream into reality.
Keep dreaming Mike, and it can happen. My dream turned to reality much sooner than expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-box View Post
I think this is my first official post on this forum, but I could not help commenting....
This trip report is just awesome - it's got everything I would love to have in a trip, and the photography is sensational!
I can watch and learn/experience other places through the poster's lens and words, and dream of the day that I gather the time/courage to do something along a similar vein - till then I need to get some more miles on the bike and get my experience up a bit, but the day will come
Bravo - fantastic effort/report - love it!
x-box, It was your first post! Let me be the first to welcome you to the asylum! Thanks for using/spending/wasting your first post on me! I'm honored.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #223
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Yukon Crossing

I spotted a big lynx in the road coming down the hill towards the river. He was not very far from town.
I nearly didn't see him because his color blended so well with the road. He moved off into the bush. Helen didn't see him.

We had already crossed the Yukon in Alaska, but this crossing was different.
Apparently our friends in Canada can't afford a bridge.

The ferry arrived at the same time as we did, so we boarded with no delay.

One of those South American riders I talked about earlier pulled alongside of me, right into the danger zone.
(I hope he didn't pay BMW prices for that Kawasaki with BMW badges.)
Sitting there with only my boots on the slippery deck supporting the bike almost became a real problem as
I looked at the river. The current was moving along quite swiftly. I nearly lost my balance and had to focus on
the bumper of the truck in front of me. To make matters worse, the ferry took off and immediately began spinning around.
Whoa! The whole World is spinning! The rider may not want to talk to me, but he has no idea
how close I came bringing us both down.

Helen jumped off to take several pictures of me. One of the crew took our camera and took this shot after she climbed back on.
Note the entire family in the SUV laughing at us!

Safely across that big river, we rolled into downtown Dawson.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #224
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Dawson, YT

We arrived in Dawson pretty early and set up camp at the Gold Rush Campground based on some of the
recommendations here. This was a huge mistake! The hippies in the green house behind us partied loudly
late into the night. I also have an aversion to paying so much for a parking spot crammed so closely to others.
However; there were showers and we were within walking distance of the entire town.

BTW, it was really warm and sunny here.

Helen and I strolled down to get dinner and take a few photos. I shot this panorama handheld.

Helen tried to get a nice photograph of the float plane on the Yukon River,
but she messed it all up by including the ugly fat dude.

Mine is better.

In case you need to know how far it is from Valdez to Dawson.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #225
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
Would be nice to know, what Helen was thinking of this trip, what her philosophical moments were. Being her first big thing and everything....mind to share?
Dave and Hel Tour California Surely you knew Hel has done another big trip. Nine of the ten days were on a bike just like yours! (But with less stuff.) Okay, so it wasn't this big. I'll ask her to reply to her fan base.

Quote:
We call that sort of exhaustion, "Scenic Overload". We live in the Southwest USA, so we are used to coping with this problem. Can you ever really get, too much?

We did get really exhausted physically and mentally. The lack of darkness contributed to this. We were homesick and really missed our kids. We dealt with it by staying focused on the short term goals and the knowledge we were on the trip of our lifetime, so far...

Thanks for the thought-provoking inquiries, I think. Loved your current report.