User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
Fatboy206 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
F800GS Suspension Lowering

I have anF800GS which I would like to lower so my wife can ride it. I read an article by a fellow inmate which explains lowering by releasing the clamps and pushing the front forks up about an inch as well as taking off about a third of a coil on the rear spring which results in the back end lowering by 1.6 inches.

I'm keen to hear if anyone else has performed this mod and what your comments are? Thanks
Fatboy206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:32 AM   #2
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,291
Best way is to have a suspension shop shorten your forks and rear shock if they can.
They should be able to get 2" on each end. If that is not enough I would trade her in for a F650GS.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:28 AM   #3
Angryrican
know nothing all

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy206 View Post
I have anF800GS which I would like to lower so my wife can ride it. I read an article by a fellow inmate which explains lowering by releasing the clamps and pushing the front forks up about an inch as well as taking off about a third of a coil on the rear spring which results in the back end lowering by 1.6 inches.

I'm keen to hear if anyone else has performed this mod and what your comments are? Thanks
Hyperpro makes two spring kits giving you the choice to lower it either 25mm or 50mm, it will come with front and rear springs and appropriate fork oil. The 50mm kit combined with a low seat will give you three inches!
Angryrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
maximuski
Don't Follow Me I'm Lost2

Oddometer: 91
Thumb

I got the hyperpro lowering suspension kit (50mm reduction), and also have the lower seat. It works for me (5'6" 31"inseam), suspension works great, only problem that I have feel is my legs are slightly bent, waist too close to foot pegs, but lower pegs will make it perfect. The total gain is about 8 cms.

There is another minor issue, with lower suspension the side stand is too long, I need to choose carefully where I park, if the pavement/terrain is even slighty leaned to the right the bike can fall down, parking perpendicular to the curb commonly works but I think I need to make side stand shorter.
maximuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #5
FNMAN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I've done it all....

I started with the Touratech low seat, cut rear coil and dropped the foks in the clamps. Worked well with getting the bike lower but I still had issues with bottoming out in the front and overall crapping handling.

I then went to the Hyperpro 50mm spring kit and lowered pegs which improved the handling and lowered even more but off road I was hitting the bash plate and pegs on rocks on technical sections. You also have to not be afraid to play with the pre-load because it is critical to how the bike handles and steers, especially with luggage. I could sit flat footed with this set up. I didi have an isue with bottoming out with this kit due to my weight and camping gear.

I recently traded out the 50mm for a 25mm Hyperpro kit and the height went back up to where it was when I cut the rear and dropped the forks. The handling is so much better than stock and I feel like I can get over baby head rocks that used to hit my plate. No bottoming out.

I am 220 and have a 30" inseam.

I highly recommend the Hyperpro lowered kits and Tourtech low seat for anyone looking for better handling and a lowered seat hight. I can ride all day with this seat and I don't have issues with soreness.

2008 YAM WR250R-SOLD
2010 BMW F800GS Lava Orange
FNMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:49 PM   #6
Fatboy206 OP
Adventurer

800 Lowering

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuski View Post
I got the hyperpro lowering suspension kit (50mm reduction), and also have the lower seat. It works for me (5'6" 31"inseam), suspension works great, only problem that I have feel is my legs are slightly bent, waist too close to foot pegs, but lower pegs will make it perfect. The total gain is about 8 cms.

There is another minor issue, with lower suspension the side stand is too long, I need to choose carefully where I park, if the pavement/terrain is even slighty leaned to the right the bike can fall down, parking perpendicular to the curb commonly works but I think I need to make side stand shorter.

Thanks for your comments, I still have questions please. Does the lowering kit contain just shorter springs, if so it seems to me that when you install them all that is happening is that you're still maintaining the static height of the bike but effectively the bike will be lower once you sit on it? Appreciate if you can confirm this. Many thanks.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:21 AM   #7
Fatboy206 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNMAN View Post
I started with the Touratech low seat, cut rear coil and dropped the foks in the clamps. Worked well with getting the bike lower but I still had issues with bottoming out in the front and overall crapping handling.

I then went to the Hyperpro 50mm spring kit and lowered pegs which improved the handling and lowered even more but off road I was hitting the bash plate and pegs on rocks on technical sections. You also have to not be afraid to play with the pre-load because it is critical to how the bike handles and steers, especially with luggage. I could sit flat footed with this set up. I didi have an isue with bottoming out with this kit due to my weight and camping gear.

I recently traded out the 50mm for a 25mm Hyperpro kit and the height went back up to where it was when I cut the rear and dropped the forks. The handling is so much better than stock and I feel like I can get over baby head rocks that used to hit my plate. No bottoming out.

I am 220 and have a 30" inseam.

I highly recommend the Hyperpro lowered kits and Tourtech low seat for anyone looking for better handling and a lowered seat hight. I can ride all day with this seat and I don't have issues with soreness.
Finman, When you talk about the Hyperpro 50mm and 25mm kits, does that suggest that the springs are shorter by those amounts? I'd like to query something like I did with another inmate, the shorter springs would have lowered the bike with you sitting on the bike but unladen (static height) the seat height must surely have remain unchanged?
Appreciate hearing from you. Thanks
Old 08-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
vngunfighter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I am 5' 7" with a 30" inseam. I had thought about lowering my F8, but after multiple trail rides and some moderate terrain for this type of bike. I decided not lower it, for I would have bottomed out way more. I did bounce off some rocks, and things would have been way more interesting with it lowered I think.

Plus I also have the comfort seat, which is lower than the stock one they come with. So if you can manage the height, go for it, or play with some seat heights.

Hope something works out.

Jimmy
vngunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
FNMAN
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy206 View Post
Finman, When you talk about the Hyperpro 50mm and 25mm kits, does that suggest that the springs are shorter by those amounts? I'd like to query something like I did with another inmate, the shorter springs would have lowered the bike with you sitting on the bike but unladen (static height) the seat height must surely have remain unchanged?
Appreciate hearing from you. Thanks
No, that is the amount of drop you get with these springs because they are progressive and allow for a certain amount of "sag". Does not sound like much but it is. Basically 50mm is an inch. So easy to install that anyone can do it in minutes with a center stand and floor jack.

If your wife is not going to ride technical off road, I suggest the 50mm kit and Tourtech low seat. I don't believe you can lower it anymore beyond that and have a practical, good handling bike.

2008 YAM WR250R-SOLD
Old 09-03-2012, 04:01 AM   #10
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,068
Quote:
No, that is the amount of drop you get with these springs because they are progressive and allow for a certain amount of "sag". Does not sound like much but it is. Basically 50mm is an inch. So easy to install that anyone can do it in minutes with a center stand and floor jack.

If your wife is not going to ride technical off road, I suggest the 50mm kit and Tourtech low seat. I don't believe you can lower it anymore beyond that and have a practical, good handling bike.

Uhm 50mm is almost 2 inches, 25.4mm is 1"
Old 09-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
FNMAN
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinebuilder View Post
Uhm 50mm is almost 2 inches, 25.4mm is 1"
Sorry, you're right.

Mt bad. BTW the metric system sucks!

2008 YAM WR250R-SOLD
Old 09-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #12
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
50mm Hyper Pro lowering kit

I do have a 50mm lowering kit that I bought for my GS800 but I am planning to go for Ohlin set up. PM me if you want to take them off from me.
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #13
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,068
Quote:
Sorry, you're right.

Mt bad. BTW the metric system sucks!

after working with it the metric system makes much more sense. everything is a multiple of 10.

I still do have a hard time thinking in really small or large measurements
Old 09-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #14
montanaman
Traveler

Oddometer: 171
I did put the Hyperpro 50mm lowering kit on my 800GS. I think it improved the handling but there is a trade off when dealing with rocky/technical terrain. I have hit the bash plate a few times and am glad its there. A previous post indicated that the BMW comfort seat is lower. Not so. Its about a half an inch taller than the stock and I think an inch and a half taller than the low seat I got on mine when I bought it. One of the reasons why I lowered the bike was so I could use the BMW comfort seat and my net gain is one full inch with the Hyperpro set up. I cut the side stand and all and all it works for my 30" inseam legs. If I were to do it all today I would have gotten the 2013 with the low suspension and called it a day. The bike is great but its just too tall in its original configuration unless you are at least 5'10"..
Old 09-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #15
Angryrican
know nothing all

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaman View Post
I did put the Hyperpro 50mm lowering kit on my 800GS. I think it improved the handling but there is a trade off when dealing with rocky/technical terrain. I have hit the bash plate a few times and am glad its there. A previous post indicated that the BMW comfort seat is lower. Not so. Its about a half an inch taller than the stock and I think an inch and a half taller than the low seat I got on mine when I bought it. One of the reasons why I lowered the bike was so I could use the BMW comfort seat and my net gain is one full inch with the Hyperpro set up. I cut the side stand and all and all it works for my 30" inseam legs. If I were to do it all today I would have gotten the 2013 with the low suspension and called it a day. The bike is great but its just too tall in its original configuration unless you are at least 5'10"..
Funny thing is the 50mm lowering kit still keeps the front 10mm taller then the F650GS twin not including the extra height of the F800GS front wheel, my advice to most is get the 1" Hyperpro kit and get the Touratech low comfort seat, that combo gives you 2" of extra stand over and retains most of the off road capabilities and the Touratech seat is absolutely worth every penny
Angryrican is offline   Reply With Quote