User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
Virtual Rider OP
Traveler

Oddometer: 773
Small issue installing a BMW skid plate on GSA

This is just a little heads' up. I got my 800 GSA last week but the skid plate just came in today. Everything came together ok but when it was installed it crunched a drain hose up against the exhaust near the catalytic converter. I'm guessing the hose comes from the charcoal filter but I didn't follow it up. I tried to move the hose other places but it didn't look like it was going to work.

I estimated where the hose "should" go through and drilled a 1/2" hole. It worked like a charm but I'm a little curious if anyone else has seen this.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #2
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
What brand skid plate is it?
GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
Virtual Rider OP
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPHusky250 View Post
What brand skid plate is it?
BMW. I bought it with the bike but it just now arrived at the dealer. I'd be a lot less surprised if it was any other brand.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
I wonder if again, there's a difference between the GS and GSA.

Mark
GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #5
Virtual Rider OP
Traveler

I'm guessing that's the most likely answer though based on what I know I don't see a reason to move a drain hose. I wonder if dealers who install this plat have to modify it or if I just got a different part.

I sure hope the hard cases I'm still waiting on don't need an extra hole drilled in them.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,736
It is a vent hose that runs from the bottom of the canister. You can shorten it or move it. Venting can mean occasional vacuum, so it should have T on it to keep that from happening and sucking water up it.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:14 AM   #7
Virtual Rider OP
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
It is a vent hose that runs from the bottom of the canister. You can shorten it or move it. Venting can mean occasional vacuum, so it should have T on it to keep that from happening and sucking water up it.
I have to guess that it produces more than air or other gasses or it wouldn't have been routed to the bottom of the bike. If that's correct then shortening it would have it draining into the skid plate. That wouldn't be the end of the world but it's far from ideal.

As far as i could tell there wasn't a practical place to move it. If I moved it far enough to miss the back of the skid plate it was going to end up either crimped between the edge of the plate and something else like the exhaust. I'll take another look at it this morning when I get a sec.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
Virtual Rider OP
Traveler

It does sound like it just vents fuel vapor in which case I could have just let it stay inside the new pan. Still a little curious why it would be routed so it vents down by the ground if that's the case...but whatever.

Here's my solution FWIW:
Left side...

Right side...
Old 10-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #9
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,736
That hose sucks air not blows. Its purpose to fill the vacuum created when the contents of the canister is redirected into the engine.

It can also suck water in certain conditions. That is why there was a recall on the early bikes. The fix was a 2nd hose via a T routed higher up.

Really no different than rerouting the original hose, except eliminating the possibility of syphoning water up from the lower hose, by providing a vacuum break. Now it can't, so rerouting or shortening should not be a concern.

itsatdm screwed with this post 10-09-2013 at 05:05 PM
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote