Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #31
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 637
Another one to look at......

Hi Ann,

I'll be looking for this one to get under way too. Your other one to the south was fun to read so am expecting this one to be just as good. Thanks for taking the time to do this and good luck doing it as you ride. I've done a couple of rr's but always after I got back home. This seems like a lot more work to me so good for you.

Gary "Oldone"

Oldone screwed with this post 08-25-2012 at 06:06 AM
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:02 AM   #32
Sojourner2005 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
So I'm off. Work is at a stage where I can finally hit the road and not think about checking in for updates. Thanks again to all the well wishers and the advice offered. I've already had to make a few adjustments in regards to planned visits during the first few days of travel, so even the loose planning I did, is getting loosened up even more. I'm hitting the road and the rest will take care of itself. I'll post up as soon as I can. VROOOM!
Sojourner2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #33
Scooterchick
And then what?

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner2005 View Post
So I'm off. Work is at a stage where I can finally hit the road and not think about checking in for updates. Thanks again to all the well wishers and the advice offered. I've already had to make a few adjustments in regards to planned visits during the first few days of travel, so even the loose planning I did, is getting loosened up even more. I'm hitting the road and the rest will take care of itself. I'll post up as soon as I can. VROOOM!

LET'S GO!!
"Ride It Like You Stole It!"
Scooterchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:05 AM   #34
Circle Blue
Here and There

Oddometer: 59
Subscribed.

Circle Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:48 AM   #35
Sojourner2005 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I left on Tuesday and I'm now in Marquette, Michigan waiting out a thunderstorm. The weather, up to this point, has been stellar, so I have no complaints. I'm at the Brentwood Motor Inn. If you're looking for an uber-friendly, clean, relatively cheap place to stay, this is the place. The towels on my bike seat were placed there by the night manager who does that, rain or shine, for every rider. so that they don't have to sit on a 'dewy' seat. It's not gonna help this morning, but it sure is appreciated. The UP is lovely.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #36
NomadGal
Esther

Oddometer: 989
Hey Ann, glad to see there is another single gal out there riding her dream! Yay!
Hope you prove your sister wrong by pitching that tent in some fabulous places.
I've been on the road myself for 3 months now, and have camped about 95% of it.
I've had lots of awesome experiences and the fact that I am a woman doing this on my own has amazed many a folk!
I think the main consensus was that I must have just left the service, LOL, no other woman would have the courage to do this in a lot of peoples eyes.
I saw your route, and I might be in that same neighborhood in a while. I'll keep checking your posts, maybe we could meet up somewhere.
Here is a link to my adventure
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=806962
Have fun!!
Esther
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #37
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,159
Hi Ann!

Have a great ride! I just finished reading your RR from last year, Great Job! BTW, I live on US61!

Donnie
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #38
Sojourner2005 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi. Im having difficulty with my computer and the internet but hope to update soon.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:44 AM   #39
M1tch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Well I hope the ride is going good for you anyway.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:24 AM   #40
JRP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,466
PM sent
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:54 AM   #41
Sojourner2005 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry for the delays. I'm in Sudbury, Ontario. The computer is co-operating so I'll try and catch up while the going is good. It turns out that my 'puter's battery no longer holds a charge, so I have to have somewhere to plug it in if I'm gonna use it.

August 14th - Winnipeg to Duluth: 622 kms.

I don't know about anyone else, but I always get really nervous before I head out and the work problem that popped up just before I left was almost welcome. Don't get me wrong, I am always super excited to go, but fearful of the unknown. I took one last call from work and ended up hitting the road at 1:30 pm. instead of at 10:30 a.m. I contemplated staying home another day, but given the glorious weather, I figured I'd ride as far as I could before it got dark.

If you read my previous RR, you'll know that my packing skills leave much to be desired. I was pretty proud of my restraint this trip, that was, until I actually put it on my bike. Someone suggested that its time to get panniers, and they might just be right.

Some shots before I took off:

Much too impressed with my packing job before I put it on my bike;

Much less impressive when on the bike:

Old 08-18-2012, 06:22 AM   #42
NomadGal
Esther

Oddometer: 989
Yep! Definitely need some sort of panniers! You'll find that it's easier to have the weight down lower, right now I bet it feels a tad top-heavy. I love my Pelicans, but not sure if that would work on your style bake. Probably better to have the soft style ones. Need racks too though, that starts adding up money-wise.......
Hope you carry enough water if you are planning on camping. Not all campsites have waterer or even potable water.
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #43
kimzx1000r
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
I don't know about anyone else, but I always get really nervous before I head out and the work problem that popped up just before I left was almost welcome. Don't get me wrong, I am always super excited to go, but fearful of the unknown.

The adventure begins in the unknown! Believe in yourself and the good in other people and there is no fear!

Go Ann!
kimzx1000r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #44
Sojourner2005 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Because of my late start, I decided to just push hard and stop when it started getting dark. The drive from Winnipeg to Duluth, along highway 59 is fantastic. You pass through quite a few national forested areas and lots of pretty towns. Traffic along the way was light, the sun was shining and people, when I stopped were friendly.

Karlstad, Manitoba

One thing I love about riding in the US is the rest areas. They're pretty darn nice...Cass Lake, Minnesota:

At some point I resolved that I would drive straight through to Duluth. I imagined that I could make it there before it got dark, but as per usual, I was wrong. By the time night time hit I was in no man's land and had no choice but to keep going. Stupid? Without a doubt, but also a really, really amazing ride. It was scary and exhilarating at the same time.

My navigational skills are weak at the best of times and trying to get myself turned around and find city centre in the dark was a task that took me about another half hour. I ended up checking in to what without a doubt, the worst motel I've stayed at on the road. The worst part was I paid $55 for the honour of bunking down in a place where cars full of youngsters pulled up, took out they're phones and waited for people to come by and 'talk' to them through the window.

The place didn't even have three prong outlets and it didn't really matter because there was no internet. The Grand Hotel wasn't so grand.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #45
Sojourner2005 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

August 15th Duluth to Marquette, Michigan 439 km: Taking time to see the sights while traveling is a departure for me, but I took the time to explore Duluth a bit because I love it. The daily mileages I've been doing is also strange as previously I would feel like I was wasting time if I didn't cover 1000 kms/day.

I had been to Duluth once before to shop at Aerostitch and had one of the best weekends of my life. It was wonderful to be back and I've resolved to make plans to spend another weekend there next summer. I popped in at Aerostitch this visit also, and thankfully, due to the fact that I couldn't fit anything else on my bike, I couldn't buy anything.

I stopped by Fitiger's where I had stayed last time I was there:

Sojourner2005 screwed with this post 08-18-2012 at 08:28 AM