Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2012, 11:41 PM   #61
Sojourner2005 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Seeing as this trip is one in which I've consciously decided to take more time to smell the roses, I took the turn off to Elliot Lake. It is a small mining community that has grown into a peaceful, affluent, retirement community. The road up had some nice twists and turns and it was great getting off, what to me, was the beaten path.

Sojourner2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #62
Sojourner2005 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

While I was getting ready to get back on my bike, a car pulled up and out stepped two women. They were a mother and a daughter, with the Mom looking to be around 75 years old. The Mom asked where I was going and commented that her daughter had a Harley and had ridden to New Brunswick last summer. She went on to tell me that she had come to Elliot Lake from England, in 1957, with her three young daughters and a young husband who was set to work in the mines. She said that they had lived in a trailer for two years and that there really was nothing around at that time and that she felt it was a never-ending camping trip. She mentioned that she then had two sons and that she had never left. She loved the community but expressed sadness in regards to the tragedy that had occurred earlier in the summer. It was only then that I realized that Elliot Lake had been where a mall had collapsed, two people had died, 20 were injured and controversy surrounded the rescue efforts. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/public-inquiry-kicks-off-into-fatal-elliot-lake-mall-collapse-that-killed-two/article4432090/.

The day that I was there, Friday, had been the first day of a public inquiry into the handling of the situation. The women directed me to the site, and while there I wound up speaking with a couple of people from the town. They said that they were recovering and they hoped the inquiry provided some answers.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:22 AM   #63
Sojourner2005 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It was time to hit the road and the rest of the run in to Sudbury was a breeze. I was waiting for my friend to return from a business trip, so I hit up the 'Big Nickel' that greeted you as you entered Sudbury proper. The smell, from the mines, was distinctive, and the belching smoke stacks were a jarring sight, given the natural beauty I had been lucky enough to enjoy over the last few hours.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:34 AM   #64
Sojourner2005 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Through the wonders of friendship, these were my digs in Sudbury.

My friend had recently moved back to Canada after having worked in the Bahamas for 5 years...and yes, while he enjoyed Nassau, he was thrilled to be back home in Ontario. We've known each other for about 16 years, and because his work takes him to a lot of different places and we both like to travel, here is a list of the places we've managed to visit each other over the years:

Toronto -where we met and worked together
Nova Scotia
Barbados
Nassau, Bahamas
Winnipeg
Sudbury
Jamaica
Parry Sound, Ontario
New York
Chicago and
Rome.

We're working on Portugal, which is his birthplace and Costa Rica.

It was wonderful seeing him again. He's taken some lessons towards getting his motorcycle licence, so I let him sit on my bike..Baby steps, y'all...baby steps.

Within about 25 minutes the skies went from this:

to this: and back again.

While touring the city, we stopped by the local Harley Shop. I ended up chatting with the owner of the bike shown below. He's Canadian but spends a good amount of time in the U.S. He had come up to ride with his friend and was lamenting the state of Sudbury's roads. He said that due to the lack of suspension on his chopper, he's able to ride for half an hour and then needs to stop and take 6 Tylenol. He travels the same way I do...no set plans and see where the road takes you each day. He, however, said that he's willing to sleep anywhere - guerilla style, while I explained to him my 'say you're going to camp and stay in hotels' style. His bike is 145HP and stripped down.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:22 AM   #65
Sojourner2005 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sunday August 19th Sudbury to Toronto

The Sunday morning sunlight was glorious to behold and I set off with a belly rounded by numerous helpings of the free breakfast offered by the hotel. I had made contact with another old friend in Toronto and told her that I figured I'd be hitting town around 1:30 pm. The highway out of Sudbury was relatively traffic free and I was able to just sit back, take in the scenery and enjoy some 'me time'.

Magnetawan River:

I was rolling along when, abruptly, traffic came to a complete stop. It turned out that there was an accident and it looked like we weren't going anywhere for a while.

It was hard to tell what had happened, but we all were hoping that whoever was in the jack-knifed car wasn't too badly hurt. The accident scene did, however, lead me to consider the infinitesimal vagaries that are the difference between a safe, happy trip and one that, can, on the turn of a dime, end in tragedy. When I arrived in Toronto, I checked for details about the crash and here's what I found. Good to know that it appeared everyone would be OK.

]]]]][An on-duty police officer has been charged after a collision on Highway 69 the Township of the Archipelago near Pointe Au Baril...while attempting a u-turn, collided with a southbound Ford Mustang. http://www.moosefm.com/cklp/news]]]]]

The delay turned out to be shorter than anticipated. The Georgian Bay area of Ontario is absolutely gorgeous and when I had lived in Toronto, I had spent a number of weekends visiting at friend's cottages. While I wanted to take a detour or two down some side roads, it turned out that a lot of them were hilly gravel cottage country roads - I had forgotten that. I finally got a chance to explore a bit, by heading up to the community of Severn Falls.

This is the contraption that takes boats across the road that runs through the community...You drive your boat up and the ferry rises under you and makes it way over the street. It was really cool and the people on the boats get to act like royalty for the 5 minute ride:

And then, once on the other side of the road, off you go:

Old 08-21-2012, 04:30 AM   #66
Aidan1150
Call Me The Breeze

Oddometer: 271
Great stuff Sojourner I am really enjoying your report from afar.

From Sea to Shining Sea. A four week US coast to coast ride in June/July 2010. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=shining

Don't speak unless you can improve on the silence.
Aidan1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:42 AM   #67
Seppo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
oh my good! that shop sells ducati´s aswell und you came out on a beemer??? seriously?

anyway, a good read, have fun and be safe!

Seppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #68
wiserthannone
You're asking ME?

Oddometer: 47
Great report Ann! Thanks for keeping up so well with it. I know that isn't easy.
wiserthannone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #69
Scootard
Scraggle McSquarely

Oddometer: 240
Hi Ann:
Sure enjoying your RR. Scooterchick and I look forward to when you come west. Your Photography is improving as well, some great scenic shots, coupled with interesting commentary.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #70
Scooterchick
And then what?

Oddometer: 266
"Ride It Like You Stole It!"
Scooterchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:48 AM   #71
CB160
another old fart....

Oddometer: 80
Another 'lurker' enjoying your trip from my couch....Thanks for sharing!!
Only wish I had the free time to do such things...(maybe someday....)
Ride safe!

CB160 screwed with this post 08-22-2012 at 12:49 AM Reason: up too late! ha!
CB160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #72
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Todos bien?

Hey Ms. Truth,

I was surprised to find your RR buried 4 pages back. What's up?

Hope you are fine, and that all is well.

I was hoping that you didn't buy a chopper and run off with a bike gang ...................... or decide to become a "professional camper" and quit riding bikes.

Looking forward to your next post!

Regards, Rob
Old 08-25-2012, 06:24 AM   #73
Paddygfw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Great RR........Have fun and ride safe
Paddygfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:31 AM   #74
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,302
Enjoying your rr. You don't need to buy anymore bottle openers (unless your collecting them.). All you need is an edge of a table, desk etc. Place edge of cap on it and slap down on the top of the bottle and your done! Check Youtube for examples. Just be careful not to chip the bottle.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #75
Sojourner2005 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD DAMAGE View Post
Hey Ms. Truth,

I was surprised to find your RR buried 4 pages back. What's up?

Hope you are fine, and that all is well.

I was hoping that you didn't buy a chopper and run off with a bike gang ...................... or decide to become a "professional camper" and quit riding bikes.

Looking forward to your next post!

Regards, Rob
Thanks for checking in RD. I've been visiting old friends in the big cities, so my time has been spent eating, partying and recovering. I should be back on the road soon and therefore, able to bring this baby up to date. The biker gang tried to recruit me, there was an ugly power struggle and I decided to take my bad-ass BMWness down the road!