Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2012, 12:48 AM   #76
Sojourner2005 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
I had forgotten what it was like to drive on any of the highways and biways that lead you into Toronto. I had left Sudbury early, in hopes of missing the gridlock that was cottagers, who were already stressing about heading back to work on Monday, and makes the roads safe for no one. After the delays caused by the accident, light rain and my own ill-advised wanderings, (I needed to get out of the stop-and-go), it ended up that it took me almost double the 3.5 hrs it should normally take to get from Sudbury. I stopped counting the number of times that we came to a complete stop...

Even with the horrible vehicular mess, I was thrilled to be in Toronto. I spent a number of years living there and every time I return, I can feel myself being seduced by its hideous, outrageous, maddening charms. And the friends I have there, ain't so bad either...

Like I stated earlier, my time in Toronto was filled with catching up and eating...

My digs for this part of my trip. The couch is more comfy than it looks:

Two of my reasons for stopping in Toronto. It was wonderful spending time with them...

A visitor who joined us as we sat out on the deck. Ughhh, racoons! He seems less than thrilled with me also.

No one picture can define Toronto, but I think this one gives a pretty good idea of the landscape. Toronto had always had more green space than one would imagine for a big city, but those days are long gone. Everywhere you look, buildings just like this one are going up and if there is a 50 X 20 plot of land anywhere, you can rest assured that there's going to be a 60 story condo-development going up within the next coupla years:

Sojourner2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:10 AM   #77
Sojourner2005 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Some shots along the way:

A shot of the condo complex where my friends have bought. The original closing date was this summer and they have given them a new date of December 2013. I think they bought about 18 months ago...Neither they nor the builder seemed concerned at the delay...

Motorcycles park for free on all TO streets. That's the first time I've experienced that perk and I gotta say, I love it:

Cote D'Azur? Mais non! Toronto has taken to trucking sand downtown and making these 'urban beaches'. The kicker is that on one side there's the head office for Corus Entertainment and on the other side is the Redpath sugar factory:

Don't look to the right when slathering on the sunscreen, because this is what you'll see. Actually, the idea is popular enough that they've started doing the same thing in Montreal:

Old 08-26-2012, 01:34 AM   #78
Sojourner2005 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I left Toronto late because it was really difficult to leave my friends."They" say the friends you make when you're a kid are the strongest bonds you can forge. For me, it's been the opposite. I met these people as an adult and I can't imagine having a deeper friendships with any other set of people.

The drive to Montreal was long and uneventful. I wanted to avoid the 401, so I took a secondary road. There was a ton of construction and not too many reasons to stop and take pics. However, I did end of camping in Limoges, QC. All my pre-trip practicing let me down when the heat was on - my neighbours watching. I made a rookie mistake and they came over to help. The gentleman and his wife were unbelievably friendly. They helped me with the tent, lent me wood for a fire, and offered me beer. I must have looked really unprepared. But I was blown away by their kindness. They live close by and come to the campground to eat dinner at their RV and head back to sleep at home during the week.

From here on in I'm going to be a tent raising ninja! The tarp, while taking up quite a bit of room, proved useful.

...and I built the fire myself:

My campground neighbour's home away from home. Obviously, I didn't make my way into the woods to battle the forces of nature on my own...and neither did these folks:

Sojourner2005 screwed with this post 08-26-2012 at 01:42 AM
Old 08-26-2012, 04:29 AM   #79
Paddygfw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
My wife and I have driven across Canada on bike several times and we love seeing it through other eyes...ride safe and have a great time
Paddygfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #80
Scooterchick
And then what?

Oddometer: 266
I was wondering where you were. For a minute there it seemed that you have fallen off the face of the earth! I'm glad you are safe and having a great time. Welcome back to Canada!

"Ride It Like You Stole It!"
Scooterchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #81
Sojourner2005 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I arrived in Montreal on Friday the 24th. Besides the two days of rain in the UP, the weather has been hot, dry and perfect for riding. I had been fearful of Toronto drivers, but the attention and defensiveness that I had to employ in and around Montreal was the most intense of all my motorcycle travel thus far. It's not just the volume, but the speeds and the manoueverings that have kept me on my toes. Besides one guy almost running me into a car on Highway 40, I've managed to stay up and keep on trucking. I just need to remember, that a double solid line means nothing.

I'm a big fan of the ornateness of churches. When I went to Europe a few years ago, I came back with memory cards stacked with pictures of saints, sinners, losers and winners - all housed in these marvels of architecture. I've yet to learn how to set my camera to really capture their glory but I'll work on it.

The gentleman is very popular in Montreal: Champlain

Notre-Dame:

I don't think the blue was quite this blue in the actual church, but I seem to have some setting in my camera, that I can't figure out how to correct right now, that is affecting the color palette.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #82
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Amazing.......

I am in for the ride........Thanks for sharing. Be safe and have a great trip, keep the pictures and story coming
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #83
Paddygfw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
I arrived in Montreal on Friday the 24th. Besides the two days of rain in the UP, the weather has been hot, dry and perfect for riding. I had been fearful of Toronto drivers, but the attention and defensiveness that I had to employ in and around Montreal was the most intense of all my motorcycle travel thus far. It's not just the volume, but the speeds and the manoueverings that have kept me on my toes. Besides one guy almost running me into a car on Highway 40, I've managed to stay up and keep on trucking. I just need to remember, that a double solid line means nothing.

we have ridden bike through Montreal several times and it's always hmmmmm exciting
Paddygfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:34 AM   #84
Sojourner2005 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Old Montreal:

A day spa on the water:

I was lucky enough to be able to meet up with another old friend in Montreal. It looked like he would have to take a business trip on short notice, but things worked out. Mon ami Mark.

These were my digs while in the city. One one side his place looks over a nine-hole golf course and on the other side there's the water...

While my heart belongs to Toronto, Montreal is a sultry temptress. We started out at an Irish pub where a cover band was playing classic 80s rock and the night just got better (devolved) from there. These were the only pictures from that evening that are worth posting, but it was great, great fun. The choices of where to go and what to do in a single evening are endless....we tried to take advantage of all of it!

Old 08-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #85
Sojourner2005 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Mark lives on Nun's Island which is like a small town. A biking and walking path circles the whole island, and while we were feeling the effects of our night out, we got up early to enjoy another fantastic morning:

Old 08-27-2012, 08:04 AM   #86
Sojourner2005 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Before I left the city, I dropped off a few pounds of extra gear. Since I would no longer need any of the clothes that didn't make me look like anything other than what I was - a dusty motorbike vagabond- I shipped home my 'fancy' clothes and a number of extras that I thought I might need. Obviously, I had thought I was being diligent in not bringing anything I wouldn't need, but I had a ton of stuff I hadn't touched in the last two weeks-so away they went. I almost shipped all my camping gear, but I decided to stick with it in the hopes I would make sure I didn't bring all the stuff along for no good reason. The bike felt much lighter and people have stopped marveling at 'all the stuff I've packed on my bike'.

Also, I had a fear of big, high bridges before I left on this trip, but I've conquered it. After getting lost a number of times trying to get out of the city and head off to Gaspe, I was driving around in circles and no matter how Itried to avoid them, every wrong turn took me up and over some massive bridge or the other. I can now cross a bridge with one eye open, a hand behind my back, with a tailgater or three riding up on the back of my bike, without batting an eye.

I've got to hit the road, but I've almost caught up to my actual travels. Hopefully, I'll have access to internet tonight and I'll be back on track. I can't wait. Tonight is Cap Bon Ami in Gaspe. I can't believe I've been on the road two weeks.
Time has flown.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:52 AM   #87
Sojourner2005 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

One of the things I find interesting about traveling is that no matter where you are, if you hit a McDonald's early in the morning, there are groups of retired gentlemen, sometimes as large as 10, sitting there discussing politics, gossiping, lamenting the effect of the weather on crops, sharing stories about grandkids etc. I try not to eavesdrop but sometimes it's difficult not to. Listening in always reminds me to never pre-judge anyone or anything. When I'm in parts of the country where I expect conservatism, I get liberalism. When I expect gruffness, I hear melting kindness. It's a favourite way to start my days.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:15 AM   #88
Sojourner2005 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

After dropping off my packages at UPS and getting lost a number of times, I got a very late start out of Montreal. As wonderful as it was visiting friends, I was equally excited about entering the unstructured part of the holiday. It had been suggested to me to take Highway 138 on the south side of the St. Lawrence, then once I hit Quebec City, to cross over and travel along the 132. The speed limit are relatively low (90 kmh) but the scenery makes you want to go even slower. It soon became clear that if I stopped to take pics of everything that I wanted to, I would never get anywhere.

Quebec surpassed the Upper Peninsula for the number of motorcycles I saw on the road. They were everywhere, with a large number of them being trikes. It seems that those three-wheeled rolling carriages, are becoming the new GS1200. I wondered if the locals, who had to put up with all the interlopers, ever got tired of all the waving to other bikers they say. I know I was waving at everyone - cyclists, scooters, you name it- I was that excited.

I don't speak French, but it's surprising how much of your grade school French lessons come back when faced with someone who doesn't speak English at all. It's also good that English seems to be making it's way into the all areas in this province. This expereince also makes me marvel at those ADVers who travel to countries where they don't even have a smattering of the language to fall back on. That speaks to communication skills worthy of diplomatic postings.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #89
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,496
Great photo... !

Old 08-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #90
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
When you were in Louisiana, on your last trip, if you'ld gone a little
farther south you could have used your high school french too.
Last I heard, the French Govt is still sending language teachers to
southern LA to try and keep the language "pure". They fail.

Keep it comin'.