Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 06:14 AM   #91
Sojourner2005 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
I'm in New Brunswick about to head out to the south of Maine. It's been difficult getting good internet while camping and travelling and I thought I'd have this caught up by now - no such luck. But the trip thus far has been wonderful and the Gaspe region absolutely stunning.
Sojourner2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:24 AM   #92
Paddygfw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Have a happy and safe trip. Riding around on a motorcycle, can life get better than that?
Paddygfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #93
wiserthannone
You're asking ME?

Oddometer: 47
Great report Ann. Your photography is very impressive and your insightful perspective makes this thread unique. Thanks for keeping it up.
wiserthannone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #94
Neighbor John
Need a cold one Clark?

Oddometer: 31
Hey Ann,
It's great reading your thread!

We're just southwest of the metro area of Minneapolis, and you're welcome to stay over on your way through... we have Fat Tire in the refrigerator.

Neighbor John
Neighbor John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:09 AM   #95
Sojourner2005 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seppo View Post
oh my good! that shop sells ducati´s aswell und you came out on a beemer??? seriously?

anyway, a good read, have fun and be safe!
I know, I know...it was a tough decision, and I'm still trying to leave it down
Old 08-31-2012, 03:15 AM   #96
Sojourner2005 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddygfw View Post
Great RR........Have fun and ride safe
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
Enjoying your rr. You don't need to buy anymore bottle openers (unless your collecting them.). All you need is an edge of a table, desk etc. Place edge of cap on it and slap down on the top of the bottle and your done! Check Youtube for examples. Just be careful not to chip the bottle.
Hi VT: I tried this once, a few years ago - it didn't go well. If I forget an opener on any future trips, I'll take it as a sign that I should give up drinking beer....

Quote:
My wife and I have driven across Canada on bike several times and we love seeing it through other eyes...ride safe and have a great time
Thanks everyone for reading along, as sporadic as the updates are...appreciated.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:16 AM   #97
Sojourner2005 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Have a happy and safe trip. Riding around on a motorcycle, can life get better than that?
Hi Paddy. This trip has spoiled me for any other life. It's going to be hard to spend my holidays doing anything other riding...
Old 08-31-2012, 03:19 AM   #98
Sojourner2005 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootard View Post
Hi Ann:
Sure enjoying your RR. Scooterchick and I look forward to when you come west. Your Photography is improving as well, some great scenic shots, coupled with interesting commentary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterchick View Post
Thanks you two, for hanging in there. Every rider I've spoken to on this trip - yup, every rider, has said I've got to find a way to come out west. So, I guess I gotta find a way to get over myself and just do it.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:49 AM   #99
Sojourner2005 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighbor John View Post
Hey Ann,
It's great reading your thread!

We're just southwest of the metro area of Minneapolis, and you're welcome to stay over on your way through... we have Fat Tire in the refrigerator.

Neighbor John
Hello Neighbor John. Thanks so much for your offer! If I head back home through the States, I'll definitely be in touch.
Much appreciated!
Old 08-31-2012, 04:15 AM   #100
Sojourner2005 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Leaving Montreal I headed for highway 132 on the south side of the St. Lawrence. It was a beautiful day and what a drive. I had to stop myself from pulling over every 10 minutes or so. There were also a ton of riders out doing the same thing I was, but at no time did the roads feel crowded. I had forgotten that this was the second last weekend of summer holidays, so when I arrived in Trois-Riviere, I had quite the time finding a spot to stay. Everywhere, campgrounds and hotels, were packed. I finally ended up at a 'quaint' motel that despite my misgivings, served its purpose. It had the best water pressure that I had enjoyed since leaving home, so that's something, isn't it.

I find it interesting that on the road, I'm willing to stay in places, that I would avoid if I was travelling in any other manner. I can't quite figure out why that is, but the closest I can come, is that, on a bike trip, the joy is in the riding, not the accommodations, as much as when your travelling via car or plane. On those trips, getting somewhere, NICE, is a key factor in your enjoyment of that particular trip. But, on a bike, your room is really just time off the bike, and where's the fun in that? It's not deep or scientific, but for me, that may be part of it.

All that being said - Don't get me wrong --I do love me a nice hotel room, any time, any where.

The view from my motel door. I'm embarrassed to show you the inside!

Trois Riviere and surrounding areas. There was a MS bike ride happening which was very well attended, and which probably accounts for why it was difficult to get a room. If that was the reason, I'm more than happy to sleep in the sketchier parts of town.

I don't know what he's looking so disgruntled about - I don't even eat meat.

Sainte-Anne

Old 08-31-2012, 04:30 AM   #101
Sojourner2005 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I crossed over to the north shore of the St. Lawrence at Quebec City. I had thought that I would explore that area for a while, but having been to old Quebec City a number of times already, I continued on to the Gaspe region. I had booked a camp site at Bic National Park and I made it there in plenty time to enjoy the evening and take in some of the sights.

A visitor to my campsite the next morning:

Old 08-31-2012, 05:12 AM   #102
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,306
Absolutely loving your report and pictures. Was grinning when reading about your sending STUFF you don't use home. Seems the more I travel , the less I bring. Since I quit camping years back, it's a whole lot less now. Keep it coming.

An '00 KLR 650, An '07 1250S, An '03 5.3L Chevy Truck + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:19 AM   #103
reed523
To pedal or not to pedal

Oddometer: 385
Great report. I was fortunate enough to bicycle some of your route last year. The memories are flooding back as I follow along. Enjoy the ride!!
reed523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:51 AM   #104
Sojourner2005 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

There were a few pictures like this except with a motorcycle and without the waves. I think they were warnings to riders to be aware of wind gusts. It turned out that weren't too bad:

The clouds starting rolling in while I was on my way to Forillon National Park, Cap Bon Ami. It got quite dark and with the ups and downs and twists and turns, I took the opportunity to find a hotel to stay in for the night. I was quite lucky that when it started to pour, I was close to Riviere-au-Renard. The hotel was nice, but overpriced, which seem to be the norm, so maybe it was just my impression. The restaurant served some great food though.

The dry bag has proved invaluable. It's great when you buy something and it works as advertised.

The view from the rear of the restaurant:

Old 08-31-2012, 06:20 AM   #105
Paddygfw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Laugh

Great way to start my morning with the awesome pictures.
I thought my wife was the only person to comment on water pressure when we travel.
We saw a loaded bike a unloaded bike and pictures of a campground in one of the posts. Are we to assume that you actually pitched a tent?????
Have a great day
Paddygfw is offline   Reply With Quote