User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
mjlang OP
Man Caves Rule!

Oddometer: 166
Not Your Average TJ to Cabo Ride Report

This ride took place the week before Thanksgiving but with the holidays, it took me some time to collect all the pics. We ended up with 5 riders... Myself (San Diego), Andres (from TJ) and I were going but in the last few weeks before the trip, Colby and Matt decided to drive down from the Seattle area and Byron my normal riding partner all decided to come along. The rides: I have a 450 KTM EXC, Andres - 450X Honda, Matt - 650 Husaberg, Colby - KTM 950 SE, and Byron - Suzuki DR 650.

We decided to leave after work on Friday (Day1) and cross in TJ. You need to get some paperwork done since the bikes are being trucked north and we're not going to be with them. The idea of this trip is to ride to Cabo and fly home. We arranged for the motorcycles to be trucked home. We found a trucking company that hauls goods to Costco in Cabo and most often comes back empty. So putting some motorcycles in the back of the truck was no big deal.

We had to stop by the trucking company to pay some money and drop off motorcycle paperwork for the driver. It was chilly in town and it got worse.

[IMG]DSCN0941[/IMG]

Our goal for Day 1 was TJ to Ojos Negros. Well, it had been raining and the off road track we were gonna take was blown out so we slabbed it. TJ at night during rush hour is not loads of fun. We headed out of town and didn't make our destination; we only got to a place called Rancho Santa Veronica. Its a "resort" in the mountains east of TJ. It used to be a working ranch where they raised bulls for the ring and trained matadors.

[IMG]P1000207[/IMG]

It was cold and an not more than 15 mins after we got in to RSV, it started pouring. Good move on our part.

'06 KTM 950 Adventure S
'07 KTM 450 EXC
mjlang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
DaddyBigDaddy
AKA -Evel Kneilson

Oddometer: 303
Hooked

The coldest I've ever been was in Baja...grip and seat heater now mandatory
2008 KTM 530 EXC
2004 KTM 450
DaddyBigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
mjlang OP
Man Caves Rule!

Saturday (Day 2) - RSV to San Quintin

It RAINED all night and in the morning, was still raining. Note to self, pay more attention to the weather report... Our ride was only gonna be about 220 miles and most all of it is off road.

DSCN0950

DSCN0947

DSCN0948
Notice the custom graphics on Colby's 950... I look like I have a load in my diaper.

DSCN0945
This palapa was well placed, we were starting to soak through and after hanging out for a while the rain stopped.

DSCN0946
Andres' rain gear is equally "high speed, low drag" as mine.

We headed south and the further we went and closer to the coast, it got dryer and warmer... We stopped in Via de Trinidad at THE BEST TACO STAND IN MEXICO. I haven't decided whether I'm always really hungry or the food is that good...

[IMG]P1000212[/IMG]

There were a number of folks prerunning the 1000 so as we navigated in a out of the course, we ran in to lots of racers. We're about 145 miles south of the border here.

[IMG]P1000216[/IMG]
Colby and his 950 SE...

Towards the end of the day on the beach north of San Quintin.

[IMG]P1000213[/IMG]

'06 KTM 950 Adventure S
'07 KTM 450 EXC

mjlang screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 02:47 PM
Old 12-31-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
mjlang OP
Man Caves Rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyBigDaddy View Post

The coldest I've ever been was in Baja...grip and seat heater now mandatory
I didn't have a lot of luggage space so I only took a riding jacket and very vented riding pants. I was really cold and wet the first day. I usually depend on warming up after riding off road for awhile. If this was a street ride I would have geared up a lot warmer. Colby had a set of those Endurostan bags on his 950, he had EVERYTHING in them...

'06 KTM 950 Adventure S
'07 KTM 450 EXC
Old 12-31-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Every trip to Baja is a good trip !!!!!!!!!!!

I am interested in knowing the contact info on the trucking company that brought your bikes back.

Don
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
I am in

I will be doing the same trip end of March but ride back in stead.
Scubalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
mjlang OP
Man Caves Rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubalong View Post

I will be doing the same trip end of March but ride back in stead.
You're a better man and I... I was ready to get off the bike after this ride.

'06 KTM 950 Adventure S
'07 KTM 450 EXC
Old 01-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
mjlang OP
Man Caves Rule!

Day 3 - San Quintin to Catavinia

We stayed at a place called El Jardines (pronounced "el hardines"). In the past we've stayed out at The Old Mill but have found El Jardines to be a nicer hotel and the attached restaurant is one of the better eateries in town.

In the restaurant we ran in to a gent from British Columbia who was riding down to S. America. He was on a GS and owned a motorcycle dealership; so he had some time off while it snowed. It was also Colby's 41st Birthday... He couldn't think of a better place to spend the day, riding in Mexico.

[IMG]CIMG0770[/IMG]

So our goal for day 3 was about a 150 mile or so off road ride to Catavinia. You can catch several southbound tracks at the south end of San Quinitin. Of course no trip to Mexico is complete without deciding on routes with a stick in the dirt.
[IMG]DSCN0952[/IMG]
[IMG]DSCN0951[/IMG]

[IMG]CIMG0773[/IMG]

Looking back to San Quintin on a cloudless day.
[IMG]CIMG0772[/IMG]

As the day went on, the terrain got a little more technical and on the light weight bikes, no big deal... on the 950 SE I was concerned about Colby. As the ride progressed, you'll see how good he is. BTW: I talked all the guys in to using these Pirelli MT 43 girly tires and like me, they have all become converts. These things hook up like glue and last like iron. You have to get a small black mark on your man card but they are worth it!

[IMG]SQ to CAT 1[/IMG]

On our way south we took a route that Byron decided not to participate in. We were all going to meet at the Pemex in El Rosario but missed the left somewhere down the trail and ended up way south. We jumped on the pavement north to meet up with him and luckily he was motoring south and we all connected not far from where we started to slab it. The next stop is another favorite wide spot in the road for lunch...

[IMG]Lunch Day 3[/IMG]

After the gourmet meal; we got on an old Baja 1000 course and watching Colby ride is 950 like a 450 was pretty awesome.
[IMG]Colby Riding[/IMG]

'06 KTM 950 Adventure S
'07 KTM 450 EXC

mjlang screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 01:22 PM
Old 01-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #9
mjlang OP
Man Caves Rule!

When we got to Catavinia I ran in to Morgan Langley who produces COPS. They had a Class 1 and Trophy Truck entered in the 1000. My name is also Morgan Langley, so it made for some fun conversation.

[IMG]ML and ML

Here are some pics of the hotel in Catavinia.

[IMG]Dinner in CAT

CAT 3

CAT 2

CAT 1

[/IMG]

'06 KTM 950 Adventure S
'07 KTM 450 EXC

mjlang screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 01:24 PM