frenzied adventurer

Oddometer: 364
I'll catch up with these pics

This is where we had pyro help!
Some good riding right off the bat.
The view from Camelot resort
Lead the way captain!
This guy was in the hieroglyph rock.
Ahhhh, the desert. I think this catches my pictures up.

"If you're too busy to hunt and fish, you're too busy"
Jase-Duck Dynasty
Jungle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #47
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Moving on

It should be known that our beverage purchases were not consumed completely at night. Therefore in an effort to alleviate the load on the bikes some were finished in the wee hours of the morning upon rising. Now you may think the weight would be the same for the bike as the lbs. would still be there. It is much easier to carry captain morgans in your belly than in your backpack. To this end we would be sure to polish the bottles prior to leaving each morning.

This led to some weary travelers in the ladder part of some of the days. So mid stream when pulling for Moab I broke off to find suitable accommodations for a shower and some down time.

While Scott and Jesse plowed thru the 105 degree desert, I pealed off and headed for a shower, a real clothes washer, and a real nap. It was mid point of the trip and I was in dire need of some hospitality. This place sufficed. A fantastic lunch in Moab (pizza)

and a 2 hour nap and I was feeling much better. Scott and Jesse came along later in the day and we relaxed and watched some TV and got showers and laundry done. We headed out for dinner at the buffet (same restaurant)and then back to relax and have a great nights sleep. Followed by a free hotel bfast.

Yes we are a messy bunch. I'm didn't check my credit card to see if a disaster zone fee was charged.

We had prior to the trip shipped some new fresh tires to Moab Power Sports. We had planned on ruining the tires by this time. Well, we didn't. Scott had his changed while Jesse was allowed to use the comfort of their shop to change his own. Which ended in having them do it. Pinch flats are a bitch.

These peeps were really great to us, they allowed Jesse to use their front room to work on his bike and allowed me the use of a Razor to run some errands.

My D606 somehow had survived the trip thus far, which is really weird as I would think 1000 miles would have destroyed it as usual. So I was left to carry a spare rear tire the rest of the trip. Thinking I would change it on the trail once needed. Never did.

We met some really cool peeps from the UK and visited with a lovely female rider for a while. Talk about a catch. She was riding a GS and had it loaded with at least 125 lbs of gear doing the TAT. Her fellow rider was their and had pre shipped some sprockets for his Xchallange. While he was tending his bike Jesse was drooling over the young lady. Hopefully Scott or Jesse got a shot of them prior to our departure. They were really hardcore and had quit their jobs in the UK and come to ride the US and end on the Island up north and look for work. Something I would like to do in their end of the world. Someday, someday!

As soon as we left we headed up a very difficult section of sharp baby heads.

We climbed and climbed. Then we came around a corner and this was in our way..

OH SHIT!

I come around another corner and find Jesse on the ground and his bike laying on it's side. Hmmmmm...Another "accident"?

Nope.......................

A mechanical issue. Guess what it was. Pinch flat. Jesse had decided that the 2 seconds I was behind him was too long to wait for proper tools and threw the bike on it's side and started removing the tire. Gung ho! Truly! Never seen a tire changed that way, but it worked with a little wrestling.

This is while I kept scanning the skies for lightning. It was crackling and striking all around us. Made for a few hurry up Jesse. Hurry up let's get under cover NOW!

We made it and continued on to find shelter for the impending weather. Didn't go half a mile and found Scott sheltering under a few trees next to a creek relaxing in his chair. We passed the captain around a bit and waited about 30 minutes for the storm to pass. It was getting cold, so a little nip warmed us right up. We continued to climb up and up. Until we reached this. It was a real treat to find the top finally.

Now for those that have a carb on their bike you will understand this. The DR while running and carrying me and all my shiit, started to bog down a lot up here. She kept running and starting, but the power was gone. It was what I was worried about prior to leaving and had me put together a set of jets to bring along. I forgot them at home and was now at the mercy of the TM40 pumper gods. They pulled me thru with flying colors I think.

We continue on and start down the hill. We get to some very slick spots and some really ruff goings. All passed the pass without incident though. We started looking for a place to camp. We pass a few ponds with shitters and continue down further, as the elevation would have meant for a very cold night. We were semi prepared for weather, but not freezing nights for sure. My sleeping bag was rated at 40 degrees and everyone knows that means 60 degrees. I have slept in sub freezing temps in it before and had some very very rough nights.

So, we rattle down the mtn some more until it heats up a bit. And find a perfect spot all to ourselves.

It was actually a great spot to spend a night. The views were amazing and the life was out in full force the next morning.

The next morning we packed up early and headed down for the heat of the desert. We ran into this little campground that I hope Jesse will post his pics of because there was a waterfall you could walk behind. He got some pretty good shots of us behind the falls.

Here is a little video of the campground and damn. Maybe one of you locals can tell us the name and have some more pics of the place. Their were tons of trout in the stream you could practically grab with your hands too.

My hero died after this. damn thing uses more batteries than any other device I carry. POS in my book in that respect.

Into the desert we go..................

We came across a lot of neat stuff out there. This was one of my favorites....

Been sitting for a few years. Not probably the safest place to go, but you know Jesse and I by know. What's the worst that can happen??????????

I'm sure it's safe Jesse go ahead.........

We got the hell out before we got to spooked.

Not sure why, but Scott didn't want to follow us into the mine. Think he knows something we don't?

It was a very neat place to see. I love old mines and this one just appeared out of nowhere.

More to come............

ass river

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500

asrvivor screwed with this post 08-27-2012 at 04:56 PM
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #48
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Moving into the heat again

We Leave the mine behind and head into some absolutely gorgeous terrain.

This was some high speed fun on gravel. My kinda stuff... 90+ mph on real groomed roads. Complete throttle up rear wheel let go and reverse steer kinda stuff ya know. A treat and I soon passed the boys and left even the faint hint of trail behind for them. The little 250's were out matched in this section. There was no way I was holding back here. This left me waiting a bit and goofing with the camera for once.

They caught up eventually and I said let's set up some glammer shots here.

Now some god somewhere thought I was nice to a butterfly at some point in my life and decided to return the favor. As we are setting up some of the glammer shots around the corner comes a state trooper with a XR650 in the bed of his truck and stops. Prior to this I was hitting nearly 100mph on these roads. How I didn't run smack into this guy is beyond me. He stops and we talk for a bit about his bike and ours. He is heading up to help the other state trooper we passed about 40 miles back in the woods. 2 flat tires left him stranded and this guy says i'm on my way up to bring another tire for him. He then says why don't you guys go back around the corner there and I'll take some pics of you guys as you round the corner and come up the hill. Well, la de da! How frickin cool is that. HE ALSO SAID JUST DON"T EXCEED THE SPEED LIMIT OF 35MPH! We said what about your buddy and he responds with, and I quote, "ahhhh he's probably asleep anyway." So that is how we got the shot of the 3 of us coming up the hill as a group. Super guy, and a real bike rider for sure. Wish my plate was government issued. Shit I wish my bike was supplied to me by the government for that matter. The XR he had was in worse shape than Jesses' old XR. That is saying something. Just a great cop though. And the fact he hadn't caught me screaming to the inside and completely sideways on the corners with his front bumper I'll never know. I have a tendency to forget that other traffic uses the road I'm on.

asrvivor screwed with this post 08-24-2012 at 10:16 AM
Old 08-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #49
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by asrvivor View Post

Now some god somewhere thought I was nice to a butterfly at some point in my life and decided to return the favor. As we are setting up some of the glammer shots around the corner comes a state trooper with a XR650 in the bed of his truck and stops. Prior to this I was hitting nearly 100mph on these roads. How I didn't run smack into this guy is beyond me. He stops and we talk for a bit about his bike and ours. He is heading up to help the other state trooper we passed about 40 miles back in the woods. 2 flat tires left him stranded and this guy says i'm on my way up to bring another tire for him. He then says why don't you guys go back around the corner there and I'll take some pics of you guys as you round the corner and come up the hill. Well, la de da! How frickin cool is that. HE ALSO SAID JUST DON"T EXCEED THE SPEED LIMIT OF 35MPH! We said what about your buddy and he responds with, and I quote, "ahhhh he's probably asleep anyway." So that is how we got the shot of the 3 of us coming up the hill as a group. Super guy, and a real bike rider for sure. Wish my plate was government issued. Shit I wish my bike was supplied to me by the government for that matter. The XR he had was in worse shape than Jesses' old XR. That is saying something. Just a great cop though. And the fact he hadn't caught me screaming to the inside and completely sideways on the corners with his front bumper I'll never know. I have a tendency to forget that other traffic uses the road I'm on.
Lucky!!

Wow.
what a cool guy, offering to take pics and everything.

It's fun to read your report. Funny how North to South (vs south to north) looks so different.
I don't recognize anything on this page...
except these rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Man View Post

LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #50
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Hello

I'm not sure if Scott and Jesse are all right with me continuing on here, but what the hell I have a load more pics and am friday bored for some riding. I have the weekend off, first one since returning and have a plan for another 1500 added to the DR. Yee Ha Itchin' to go ya know.......

We continue on after the officer and ride the day away. I really like that saying... "Ride The Day Away". When life beats me up that is what I do. Leave it all behind.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Ya I have strange tastes. I was married once to a true red head too..............Go figure?

We get a little lost and stumble finally onto a campground that looks mostly abandoned. I mean the grass hasn't been cut in 20 years, trees hanging down all around the tables type of abandoned. We look for a place to pay and find a sign that says "due to the water problem there is no fee at this campground". Schweet.....

We start the duties right away so we can relax a little earlier today. Collecting wood and the like....

We were also able to find a grocery store that had some great fruit. What a treat that was. Truly needed.

We have dinner and take a few strolls around for a while to look at the countryside. And Jesse comes back with a new friend. He will spend the next 3 hours with his new friend. Doing this kinda stuff.

We all come to the agreement that he should stick to the pistol in his pocket. Now at this time you have to remember that Jesse lost his wallet on the first day, right. Well, the new friend may have a solution.........

Walking back...

Getting tired so I head back and leave Jesse with his buddy "Tim" I think. We'll call him that for now. Well, Tim explained the water situation to us and that the cops tried to kick him out of the park a while back for staying past the day limit. He wasn't about to abide by that. Not when you've got a sweet set up like this.

So I head back and get ready to set up the tent, then F it.... I call the table I say. Scott likes his tent and Jesse doesn't care where he sleeps. Hammock or ?... buddies trailer maybe

I really liked CO as a state to ride in. The scenery was fantastic and the roads well maintained.

The next morning we head out for another pass. Hope the DR keeps running. Ahhh really I didn't give it a thought.

minute 2:15 for the part I'm talking about. Or watch the whole thing.....

[IMG][/IMG]

It was slab time and I tried to take the lead. Jesse would have none of it with his 250 and he gets as low as he can and barrels past me. Stupid fuel injection.......... Then we get here.

Our grins are very big eh? The people helping take photos for us were a group of female bicycle riders. All about 25. Jesse could hardly contain himself.

We drop out of the high stuff a bit and head for town and fuel, lunch and supplies. captain morgan is really all we needed.

This place was amazing to ride into.

We all got a little camera happy. Just a sweet little town that appeared out of nowhere.

It turned out to be a tourist trap for sure. Still it had it's moments. Particularly what the special was that day.

So we have the special and grab needed supplies and head out. Need a place to stay for the night and a fire would nice. So a real campground would be needed. Fire closures and all. Very strict out there. So we roll upon this place. Everything out here is so frickin new and cool to me.

There is a view of this from camp.

And then we notice this............

Scott and I are hungry, but no way in hell Jesse isn't checking that out.

Upon return though it wasn't all that great.

I have another pic earlier in the thread from our first nights. It shows a much smaller moon. I'll put them one on the other here.

[IMG][/IMG]

That's how long we've been out. Memories of work have faded by now. Thoughts about what we have to do at home a distant for sure. That is what I remember about this moon this night.

For those that read this and haven't done longer than a few days. Get out and do it. The longest I've done was this one 16 days. Next year is a month. AZBDR and on to further southern states, and anything else I can incorporate. It will be a Ural trip though. So a little slower....

It was a great evening for sure.

Bed Time.

It should be noted that I broke one of the tent poles. That's why it looks like it's laying down. I will purchase a new tent later on, at a great price. The gal I called said if you guys come in on your bikes I'll give you a 25% discount. So we went there. Pretty good people out here. They like adventurous people that are willing to spend money in there little towns. The shop I didn't get a pic or the name of sorry. It was a little house with a husband and wife that ran it. A tiny adventure store. Cool.

Morning brings a new fire and warming up.

Little boy wonder is wearing down. Hee Hee Wait till yer 40 pal.
And drink all day long...........

Honestly we are all feeling it.

Departure last shots.

Onward and upward we go..................

Old 08-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #51
Scott_PDX OP
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by asrvivor View Post
I'm not sure if Scott and Jesse are all right with me continuing on here, but what the hell I have a load more pics and am friday bored for some riding...
No problem, it's cool to see your pictures and the trip through your eyes. I'm seeing some of the sights that I missed while farting around taking pictures at the back of the pack (euphemism for being slow as hell). I'll get back to my day-by-day report when I get back next weekend. You just have to see the pictures of Onion Creek in Utah that you missed - that section was one of my favorites. I have a nice video for it also, but lack the patience to edit it, maybe later. We'll have to have a "movie" night and share video's we took. Oh, and the backward-mounted-helmet Go-Pro, worked great!

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #52
Jungle Man
frenzied adventurer

I don't know what a keyboard is so here are some more pics:
I believe these were a day before Moab .
This is the section we missed John on. There was a streem that snaked up the hill and the road just cut through it. This made for a lot of small crossings. It was great fun. I laid in one to cool off.
Right after I changed my flat tire, I hit this tree and bent my handlebars pretty good; the worst part was I fell on my back and broke my unused bottle of deet which would have been nice to have. I borrowed some from John and Scott.

Jase-Duck Dynasty
Old 08-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #53
Jungle Man
frenzied adventurer

John chooses hammock to sleep in. Must be fun.
Heading into town.
view inside the mine
View outside the mine.

Gotta put this in here because of what I said in my last RR.

Jase-Duck Dynasty
Old 08-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #54
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Back to work.....

We head out from camp and spend some time in the best riding in the forest I've done. The roads are fantastic. It rained some and was keeping the dust down and allowing for group riding. It looked like this.....

[IMG][/IMG]

Kinda long vids, but it was epic riding for sure.

We head up and up. This will be our highest camp spot. 12200ft. It was perfect up there and gorgeous. My new tent is super nice and makes for a great addition to my bundle of tools for riding. Love it. We found a campground that was packed to the gills. So we headed out of the campground and saw a couple hiking down a little road. Well, lets go up that and see what's up there. We found this.......

It was a nice camp spot.

We even had a view of the lake. Where the campground was filled with people.

I thought about changing my tire, as it was nice and cool out. Changed my mind though!

It was a beautiful place to stay.

Night falls.............

Old 08-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #55
DocAxeYarYar
RideDualSport.com

Oddometer: 749
Pac nw dudes

Really enjoying your ride and report! You all even survived some pretty good get offs! Like us in Texas, its a long haul to CO, so we opt to load the bikes and start off in places like Gunnison. Ride on dudes!
Old 08-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #56
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,857
Glad the captain helped pull you guys through.
What was the mileage of the whole trip?

Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #57
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buell78753 View Post
Really enjoying your ride and report! You all even survived some pretty good get offs! Like us in Texas, its a long haul to CO, so we opt to load the bikes and start off in places like Gunnison. Ride on dudes!
Wish you could have joined us. Scott ended up picking up a butler map in CO. Coulda used some direction. Made for more adventure though. I like trying to get lost at least a couple days of the trip. Maybe see ya next year on my way thru....

John

Old 08-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #58
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
Glad the captain helped pull you guys through.
What was the mileage of the whole trip?

Hey Ernie, yep captain pulled us thru. Missed ya this time buddy. Next year come with me south. We'll get really lost.

I deleted my tracks prior to last weekends ride, but I think the total was a little over 2200 miles. Perfect for your GS. You would have loved it.

See ya soon.

Wish we had the water we had on last years ride. We were hurtin' for sure on this years.

Or at the least apple jam with us, you know how much crap he packs.

Hey, I found a pic of Jesse's honda. Here you go........ switched from this to the 250 for this year.

Last years OBDR.... loved this trip also.

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

Ok off topic sorry. Memories.....

Old 08-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #59
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,857
You have been racking up some good rides John.
Good reads and I know you guys scoot along.
I'll be around for a future ride or two.

Its good to see Jessie getting in on some good life experiences. Go Jessie!
Great thread Scott.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:17 PM   #60
4corners14
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Great Report!

Can't wait to do this ride
4corners14 is offline   Reply With Quote