ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2008, 08:50 AM   #1
ChrisC OP
Molon Labe
 
ChrisC's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Prescott, Arizona USA Earth
Oddometer: 6,310
License plate lamp - 2003 KTM 640A

After 5 years my "paint shaker" finally lost it's first bulb. Has anyone in the Collective determined how to access the license plate bulb? The owner's manual is no help and I don't have the time to search Meat's index on a Crackberry...
__________________
Chris
'03 KTM Adventure 640
'43 BSA M20WD
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:16 PM   #2
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!
 
laramie LC4's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Tucson, Az
Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
After 5 years my "paint shaker" finally lost it's first bulb. Has anyone in the Collective determined how to access the license plate bulb? The owner's manual is no help and I don't have the time to search Meat's index on a Crackberry...
if i remember correctly, you access it from under the rear mud flap. i believe it is attached by 2 bolts/screws and then the whole unit comes off and you can get to the light.

laramie
__________________
DON'T TRUST CUT 7! HE IS A CROOK! ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:36 PM   #3
ChrisC OP
Molon Labe
 
ChrisC's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Prescott, Arizona USA Earth
Oddometer: 6,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4
if i remember correctly, you access it from under the rear mud flap. i believe it is attached by 2 bolts/screws and then the whole unit comes off and you can get to the light.

laramie
Laramie, thanks... I pulled the two 6mm hex headed screws out but nothing seemed to come loose. Maybe a little more torque is required. I go tweek on it and see what gives.

CC
__________________
Chris
'03 KTM Adventure 640
'43 BSA M20WD
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
braaap!
waiting for the big one
 
braaap!'s Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Melbourne
Oddometer: 2,319
dont tweak!! there's a rubber cap (domed) at the rear of the tailight (under the rear fender)

prise it off (towards front of the bike)... it will pop out!

then you can access the globe holder, which is a 1/4 turn to remove.

just replaced my globe with an led unit :)

it's all a little fiddly but pretty easy (to replace rubber cap piece.... a little 'lick' lube gets it back on without swearing)

cheers
braaap! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
meat popsicle
Ignostic
 
meat popsicle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Circumlocution Office of Little Dorrit
Oddometer: 14,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
...I don't have the time to search Meat's index on a Crackberry...
Quoted.

Now why are you in such a hurry? The sun don't set for hours...
__________________
Kronreif Trunkenpolz Mattighofen LC4 640

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:04 PM   #6
ChrisC OP
Molon Labe
 
ChrisC's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Prescott, Arizona USA Earth
Oddometer: 6,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by braaap!
dont tweak!! there's a rubber cap (domed) at the rear of the tailight (under the rear fender)

prise it off (towards front of the bike)... it will pop out!

then you can access the globe holder, which is a 1/4 turn to remove.

just replaced my globe with an led unit :)

it's all a little fiddly but pretty easy (to replace rubber cap piece.... a little 'lick' lube gets it back on without swearing)

cheers
You sure that where the license plate bulb is? Brake/running light yes, but the plate illumination seems divorced from that orifice (yes, I said orifice)...
__________________
Chris
'03 KTM Adventure 640
'43 BSA M20WD
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:38 PM   #7
braaap!
waiting for the big one
 
braaap!'s Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Melbourne
Oddometer: 2,319
oops my bad :(

was a bit early an' didn't have glasses on... now I see... licence plate!!! (not tailight)

sorry.....
braaap! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
meat popsicle
Ignostic
 
meat popsicle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Circumlocution Office of Little Dorrit
Oddometer: 14,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by braaap!
oops my bad :(

was a bit early an' didn't have glasses on... now I see... licence plate!!! (not tailight)

sorry.....
yeah, you gave ChrisC a reason to say orifice! now we won't hear the end of it...
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #9
creeper
Still alive...
 
creeper's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Puget Sound
Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
After 5 years my "paint shaker" finally lost it's first bulb. Has anyone in the Collective determined how to access the license plate bulb? The owner's manual is no help and I don't have the time to search Meat's index on a Crackberry...
Hit it with a stick... wussy.
__________________
So... how's tricks?
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:33 PM   #10
ChrisC OP
Molon Labe
 
ChrisC's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Prescott, Arizona USA Earth
Oddometer: 6,310
The moral of this story is "always remove under-fender mud before searching for your tiny nuts".

Easy.... two 8mm nylock nuts facing forward under the fender and the lamp assembly falls off in your hand. Inside is a 5W bayonet bulb, available at any auto parts place as an "instrument" bulb. Bought a two pack for $2.25, so now I have a spare for 5 years hence.

Oh.... and I researched how a Sherco illuminates it's plate. They use a 5 watt acetylene lamp...
__________________
Chris
'03 KTM Adventure 640
'43 BSA M20WD
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:35 PM   #11
creeper
Still alive...
 
creeper's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Puget Sound
Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
The moral of this story is "always remove under-fender mud before searching for your tiny nuts".
Which is why I said... hit it with a stick (to knock the mud off).

You're still a big wuss though.
__________________
So... how's tricks?
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:19 AM   #12
braaap!
waiting for the big one
 
braaap!'s Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Melbourne
Oddometer: 2,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
yeah, you gave ChrisC a reason to say orifice! now we won't hear the end of it...
had me bambozzled... I work in an orifice... an we got ceiling lights!?...
braaap! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:07 AM   #13
bmwktmbill
Traveler
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Traveler
Oddometer: 4,791
Hey Guys,
I am a RN with long experience putting in Foley Catheters.
You wanta talk orifices, I seen 'em.

It's all mechanics.
You need a bright light...and a steady hand.
Missing is a bitch.
Sometimes it takes three...not times, people.
b.
__________________
'02 KTM 640 Adventure-lowered
"On the road there are no special cases."
Cormack McCarthy-The Crossing

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:13 AM   #14
braaap!
waiting for the big one
 
braaap!'s Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Melbourne
Oddometer: 2,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill
Hey Guys,
I am a RN with long experience putting in Foley Catheters.
You wanta talk orifices, I seen 'em.

It's all mechanics.
You need a bright light...and a steady hand.
Missing is a bitch.
Sometimes it takes three...not times, people.
b.
... that'll make ChrisC go 1/2 hard....




braaap! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:25 AM   #15
ChrisC OP
Molon Labe
 
ChrisC's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Prescott, Arizona USA Earth
Oddometer: 6,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by braaap!
... that'll make ChrisC go 1/2 hard....




No 1/2 hard for me.

__________________
Chris
'03 KTM Adventure 640
'43 BSA M20WD
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014