Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #151
simonpig
packin' heat

Oddometer: 947
My WRR was stolen not too long ago, so I went through the whole "which bike should I get now" train of thought. After a thinking about it and have a look at the CRFL on paper and in person and everyones accounts of it, I decided to get another used WRR, which was the best value for performance, utility, and fun.

Just picked up another '08 and life is good again.
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #152
CNDRAT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpig View Post
My WRR was stolen not too long ago, so I went through the whole "which bike should I get now" train of thought. After a thinking about it and have a look at the CRFL on paper and in person and everyones accounts of it, I decided to get another used WRR, which was the best value for performance, utility, and fun.

Just picked up another '08 and life is good again.
Suck's that it was stolen...but he/she had good taste as do you

Congrat's on the new bike...enjoy the ride

Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing - Oliver Wendell Holmes
CNDRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #153
Rx4Pain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
WR vs CRF Comparo etc

Thanks to the guy that did the comparison of the Honda and the Yamaha. I have neither of these, but test drove the CRF 250l a while back out of curiousity after seeing the crazy'ish low price. I was prettttttty tempted!

Navin's responses were both comical and stupid. I ride trails and single track with a guy who has a CRF 250x and another that has a KTM 450exc. What do I ride????? A Kawasaki Super Sherpa 250. I think we all have a good time and ride according to our skill levels/the machines we have and have gotten used to. Sometimes my little SHerpa suprises them enough to raise an eyebrow or two.

Equipment and owners have always made me chuckle. When I played competetive raquetball, I remember the guys with the 300 dollar raquets, 100 dollar shoes etc etc. I had a blast smoking them with my mid level Ektelon racket that had been popped and restrung 2 or 3 times.

Personally, I believe that Eric CLapton could make a 100 dollar guitar sing....just like Ricky Carmichael could spank Navin's behind, riding a 1974 TS 90! Until someone is at the pinnacle of their craft, equipment is always...alwayyyys secondary to skill.

A buddy and I took a 2160 mile trip (the Western portion of the TAT) last summer. After I climbed to the top of California Pass, rev'ing second gear to redline so that I could even use 3rd gear at the air starved altitude of 13,000 feet....I joined my buddy at the top. (He was riding a KLX 300R) A few minutes later a group of BMW Adventure bikes arrived...the three of them represented some 40,000 dollars in bikes/excessive gear. Same hill, same route, same view....same ride. I dont think they had any more fun than we did.

I love getting the most out of equipment that "shouldnt be as good" as someone else's "look at me" stuff. It is a challenge. I love it:)

All you CRF 250l and WR Owners....ride on ! They are great little dual sports and I have enjoyed the thread.

Ken
Rx4Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:38 AM   #154
Giddy Goanna
Fat tanks 'n skinny women

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx4Pain View Post
Thanks to the guy that did the comparison of the Honda and the Yamaha. I have neither of these, but test drove the CRF 250l a while back out of curiousity after seeing the crazy'ish low price. I was prettttttty tempted!

I love getting the most out of equipment that "shouldnt be as good" as someone else's "look at me" stuff. It is a challenge. I love it:)

All you CRF 250l and WR Owners....ride on ! They are great little dual sports and I have enjoyed the thread.

Ken
WOW Ken!

You have succinctly expressed my thoughts.
Much appreciation to the OP for his efforts in answering what has stuck in my mind since the release of the CRFL.

My dirt history goes: '83 XT250, '92 XT225, '97 XL250 Degree, '01 KLX250.
Most trail rides were a sea of blue (Yam WRF's) and orange.
Haven't ridden serious dirt since 2009, WRR was tempting, CRFL is sorely tempting! (Price & seat height solved)

Have ridden the better suspended bikes and they were a revelation, but always happy to get back on my dunger.
I always have fun riding a bike to it's limits (both engine and suspension) and the "beginners bikes" obviously provide a lower, slower ceiling that is safer.

Cheers Y'all,
Giddy.
Giddy Goanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #155
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,735
Well, we just joined the WR250R & CRF250L club. We just picked up a 2013 CRF250L with 600 miles on it for my wife tonight. She's currently riding an XT225 that she's done the Eastern TAT on and other DS rides, so we'll see how the transition is from the XT to the CRF for her.

We are headed out to CO/UT this summer and she's got a few months to decide if the the little bit larger and heavier CRF will be okay before we sell the XT.

We had thought about a WRR for her too, but honestly its so tall and she's only 5'4" with a 29.5" inseam, we'd have to lower it just way too much. She's ridden my WRR, but her initial reaction was that it just didn't jive with her. I think the CRF being a lower bike to begin with and having more torque down low will work to her riding style better. I love how revvy the WRR engine is, but that's not how she rides. In stock form, she can get her feet down pretty good on the CRF. We are going to try the low Seat Concepts in hopes that we can just leave the suspension stock height on the CRF so she gets the most out of it. I just hope the extra weight of the CRF doesn't set her back at all.

We'll give an update once she has some seat time on it. Oh yeah, the CRF is so quiet stock! We enjoy quiet bikes.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #156
ex_MGB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
So, here's from another angle. Let's say you're a bit older but in good shape and want to do adventure riding around Central America. You don't intend to do serious off roading, more like dirt and gravel road riding and mostly on road riding. In other words, you want to get back to remote spots via 4wheel roads but not if it means riding a goat trail.

Would the Honda work? Bear in mind, buying new, with the Honda you've got an extra $2k to put toward repair/maintenance. Or, are you better of with the WR with the peace of mind knowing it can take more punishment?
ex_MGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #157
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex_MGB View Post
So, here's from another angle. Let's say you're a bit older but in good shape and want to do adventure riding around Central America. You don't intend to do serious off roading, more like dirt and gravel road riding and mostly on road riding. In other words, you want to get back to remote spots via 4wheel roads but not if it means riding a goat trail.

Would the Honda work? Bear in mind, buying new, with the Honda you've got an extra $2k to put toward repair/maintenance. Or, are you better of with the WR with the peace of mind knowing it can take more punishment?
Why not go for an older, bigger bike... a 2000ish honda xr650r would be great for your needs.
shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #158
ex_MGB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
My two current rides are a CBR250R and Helix. I want new and it seems a light, durable 250 with great mileage is sufficient. My thought is that if a 250 will do the job, and is durable, why go bigger and heavier? I would travel with maybe 30 lbs of stuff.
ex_MGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #159
jimhaleyscomet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
My two current rides are a CBR250R and Helix. I want new and it seems a light, durable 250 with great mileage is sufficient. My thought is that if a 250 will do the job, and is durable, why go bigger and heavier? I would travel with maybe 30 lbs of stuff.
The only reason to go heavier (assuming 70+ speed is not required) is to haul more weight (luggage) and with more comfort for 99.9% of the miles. The Honda NC700x gets good reviews (http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...-honda-nc700x/) as an adventure bike and gets better mileage than a 250. I have a KLR650 dual sport and it gets a bit tricky in wet grass or wet clay off camber single track. If there is a jeep road out there that we can't handle I haven't found it yet and with a 6 gallon tank it has a lot of range.

The 250's give up a bit of comfort for better handling (and safety). They are a lot lighter in the tuff spots (say wet rutted clay road, wet grass, or deep dry sand) and much less likely to break a leg when the bike does fall over on you.

Were I in your situation and wanting a 250 I would go CRF250L. Its lower seat height and linear power makes it far more comfortable than the WR (I have both). Only if you wanted to do single track fast would the WR come back into play. Even a naked 250 street bike will take almost any DRY single track. However, the 250 dual sports are geared lower so you can slow down more in the tough stuff (Rocky steep roads, deep rocky water crossings, loose deep sand, rutted muddy roads). I have been trail gravel road riding on and off for 40 years in snow, on the beach, up through 14,000 feet rocky snowy mountain passes and NEVER had to turn back because I had a 250 dual sport. I did have to push (or pull it) out of a few muddy or very VERY few loose situations though).

Riding your CBR250r carefully down a bit of DRY single track might amaze you with what it can do. You do risk a bit of plastic or lever damage if you try that though. Not that the plastics on 250 dual sports are immune to damage.
jimhaleyscomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:16 AM   #160
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,190
Quote:

I lived in Central America for 12 years and had numerous bikes.

A 250 will do just fine. I had an XR250 for many years and it was a great bike for South of the Border. You can tag anything with wheels down there so you are not limited to just street legal bikes.

When I was in Honduras I tagged my Ktm 400 and had a blast.

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #161
jimhaleyscomet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Which one to purchase?

A quick update. While riding the WR instead of the CRF250L today I realized how folks can figure out which one they will like more. If one usually stands when riding trails then they will prefer the WR. If one usually sits while riding trails they will prefer the CRF250L. IF you stand 50/50.... well good luck deciding as either bike will please!
jimhaleyscomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:59 AM   #162
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
What a great thread!

I have a question for you guys that have fitted the Yamaha "R" wheels to the "X" so to speak.

Is it a straight fit or what's involved? There are a couple of nice second hand WR250X's where I live but no WRR's! So I was thinking of buying a WRX and buying the wheels extra so to speak.

Is it a straight fit? Do you need to do any brake mods? Do you need to do any changes to the suspension?

How does a WRX with R wheel compare to a WRR so to speak?

Thanks!
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #163
jefmad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Yellow View Post
What a great thread!

I have a question for you guys that have fitted the Yamaha "R" wheels to the "X" so to speak.

Is it a straight fit or what's involved? There are a couple of nice second hand WR250X's where I live but no WRR's! So I was thinking of buying a WRX and buying the wheels extra so to speak.

Is it a straight fit? Do you need to do any brake mods? Do you need to do any changes to the suspension?

How does a WRX with R wheel compare to a WRR so to speak?

Thanks!
Blue,
The R wheel is not a direct fit because the rotors are different. You can get a 21" front with the correct rotor for the X from either Wheeling Cycle or Warp 9. I use the 21" front with the 17" stock rear and it works great.
jefmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #164
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveller

Oddometer: 154
Great thread... Good information...

I went through this decision process back in November. I bought the CRF. I'm happy with my choice. My off road adventures do not involve a great deal of technical single track. I'm in my mid fifties & I'm a little more cautious than in past decades. I'm now more into exploring & scenery than adrenaline. I think the CRF is a better fit for my goals.

One of my main reasons for buying a 250 dual sport was to improve my skills for riding my V-Strom & Versys on my cross country adventures. A side benefit is that the CRF is fun & useful in it's own right, expanding my riding adventures.

2012 Suzuki V-Strom-ADV, 2011 Kawasaki Versys, 2008 Yamaha TW200, 2013 Honda CRF250L

I'm never lost... Because I'm always right where I'm at...
Kankujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #165
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefmad View Post
Blue,
The R wheel is not a direct fit because the rotors are different. You can get a 21" front with the correct rotor for the X from either Wheeling Cycle or Warp 9. I use the 21" front with the 17" stock rear and it works great.
Thanks! Is there anything else that is different between the WR250X and R? Is the suspension/geometry/gearbox really all the same?

Also - what would be your choice for wheels? Wheeling cycle or warp9? Never dabbled in aftermarket wheels so no clue really.

On the wheeling cycle webpage it also says something about not being able to use the OEM odometer when fitting the bigger wheels. Is this true?

Sorry for all the questions!
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote