Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #121
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
I get sick of hearing about the weight. Yes the bike weighs more. Please keep in mind that the WR has 22 lbs of crap on there that the government forces them to have. That is a huge change between now and then. Also most of the published weights I read for dirt bikes is wet without fuel. The WR at 301 is with 2 gal of fuel or 1.9 CA models which is about 18LBS. Also I bet when I get muddy I carry an extra 15 lbs of mud on my bike. I can't tell any difference. I can tell you this. I can out menuver my KX250 on my WR. The KX is lighter. You want to make a big difference look at unsprung weight. Huge difference but the risk goes up. I wish they would put more attention on tire and tube and wheel weight because that is where you will feel the 10 lbs. JMHO.but what do I know.
ggamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #122
toypro1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggamster View Post
Without clutching I can run as slow as 6mph on the Honda and 7mph on the WR. The WR has higher Wattage output. Make you decision on your size and off road desires. Which bike is best for which has been covered.
thanks for the reply - you have give us a tremedous amount of "real world" information in comparing these two bikes.

Dan
GL 1800
1200s Bandit sold
DRZ 400E Plated sold
FJ 1200 gave to son
toypro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:27 AM   #123
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
Couldn't Agree more

Quote:
I get sick of hearing about the weight. Yes the bike weighs more. Please keep in mind that the WR has 22 lbs of crap on there that the government forces them to have. That is a huge change between now and then. Also most of the published weights I read for dirt bikes is wet without fuel. The WR at 301 is with 2 gal of fuel or 1.9 CA models which is about 18LBS. Also I bet when I get muddy I carry an extra 15 lbs of mud on my bike. I can't tell any difference. I can tell you this. I can out menuver my KX250 on my WR. The KX is lighter. You want to make a big difference look at unsprung weight. Huge difference but the risk goes up. I wish they would put more attention on tire and tube and wheel weight because that is where you will feel the 10 lbs. JMHO.but what do I know.
To me the WRr rides very light, people bring up the weight all the time, on the WRr it does not seem to be an issue at all, probably due to the way it carries the weight and the excellent ergos.
Oil changed @ 14300... filter next
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #124
toypro1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
To me the WRr rides very light, people bring up the weight all the time, on the WRr it does not seem to be an issue at all, probably due to the way it carries the weight and the excellent ergos.
I like the low end power of the DR - but the wattage output and the gas mileage are not good

Dan
GL 1800
1200s Bandit sold
DRZ 400E Plated sold
FJ 1200 gave to son

toypro1 screwed with this post 10-09-2012 at 08:27 AM
toypro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:50 AM   #125
rsteiger
Bob

Oddometer: 157
Well I finally broke down and bought a new WR.

I am very impressed with it. While it doesn't have the low end grunt of my DR or the power of my KTM it is a nice over all balanced package. I agree with the comment that it 'rides light' - just back to back comparisons with the my KTM 450 EXC it feels lighter and more composed when things are tight and I am going slow. Where the KTM shines is in the power and suspension department - as the speed picks up the KTM seems to smooth out where the WR becomes unsettled. I still need to get more involved with the suspension on the WR to see what I can coax out of it but over all it is a well rounded bike IMHO.

I ended up selling my DR last weekend to friend who was looking for a DS ride and over the next couple of months I will make up my mind on what to do with the KTM. Right now the WR is my long distance DS / do anything bike and the KTM is still the play bike in the group.
2001 GasGas XC250
rsteiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:34 AM   #126
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsteiger View Post
Well I finally broke down and bought a new WR.

I am very impressed with it. While it doesn't have the low end grunt of my DR or the power of my KTM it is a nice over all balanced package. I agree with the comment that it 'rides light' - just back to back comparisons with the my KTM 450 EXC it feels lighter and more composed when things are tight and I am going slow. Where the KTM shines is in the power and suspension department - as the speed picks up the KTM seems to smooth out where the WR becomes unsettled. I still need to get more involved with the suspension on the WR to see what I can coax out of it but over all it is a well rounded bike IMHO.

I ended up selling my DR last weekend to friend who was looking for a DS ride and over the next couple of months I will make up my mind on what to do with the KTM. Right now the WR is my long distance DS / do anything bike and the KTM is still the play bike in the group.
Also keep in mind that you are running a very low profile rear tire. It is difficult to get the suspension to react the way it would on any other bike that is running a full size rear tire. I have messed with it a great deal and I think I have the suspension dialed in the best it can be. I am looking forward to putting my trials rear tire on with 1" more side wall height. This will allow me to run 15 or lower psi vs the 20+ I run in the stock tire with out flatting. I am suspecting this will change the bikes "ruff" composure. I just wanted to wait until the stock tire was toast. I think about 500 or miles and I will be there.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #127
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,728
We were at the Vintage Motorcycle Festival at Barber Motorsports in Leeds, AL this weekend and in the vendor area, Honda had a few of their bikes there. One of them was the new CRF250L so I got my wife to throw her leg over it. Amazingly at 5'4", she was able to get both the balls of her feet down very comfortably. I suspect they had the preload pretty soft, but even then that was very promising. She said she liked the way it felt just sitting on it so maybe that's her next bike after the XT225. They had the keys in all the bikes so started it up too. Man that thing is uber quiet! The dash is definitely setup much nicer than the WRR too.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #128
ADVNCW
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr View Post
I hear this all the time. While I don't disagree with the sentiment, history does not support our memories of how light they were in the good old days.
Kawasak KLR250, 314 lbs, Cycle, Nov. 1989
Kawasaki KLR250, 312 lbs, Motorcyclist, Dec. 1990
Honda XL250K1, 308 lbs, Cycle, July 1974
Yamaha WR250R, 301 lbs, Motorcyclist, Oct. 2008
Honda XL250R, 295 lbs, Cycle, April 1983
Yamaha DT250F, 290 lbs, Cycle, Oct. 1979
Yamaha DT3-250, 289 lbs, Cycle, Jan. 1973
Honda NX250, 289 lbs, Cycle, May 1988
Honda NX250L 289 lbs, Motorcyclist, Dec. 1990
Suzuki TS250C, 288 lbs, Cycle, May 1978
Honda XR250L, 288 lbs, Cycle, Jan. 1991, Motorcyclist, Dec. 1990
Yamaha DT250C, 288 lbs, Motorcyclist, March 1976
Honda MT250K2, 284 lbs, Motorcyclist, March 1976
Yamaha DT250D, 283 lbs, Cycle, May 1977
Kawasaki 250 F11A, 282 lbs, Motorcyclist, March 1976
Honda MT250, 281 lbs, Cycle, Sept. 1973
Montesa 250 King Scorpion, 279 lbs, Cycle, Jan. 1974
Honda XL250S, 278 lbs, Cycle, July 1978
Harley-Davidson SX250, 275 lbs, Motorcyclist, March 1976
Hercules 250 Enduro, 271 lbs, Cycle, Feb. 1977
Can-Am 250 TNT Enduro, 267 lbs, Cycle, Oct. 1974
Yamaha XT250K, 265 lbs, Cycle, March 1983
Yamaha XT250G, 265 lbs, Cycle, Aug. 1980
Can-Am 250 TNT, 264 lbs, Motorcyclist, March 1976
Penton MC6 250 Enduro, 261 lbs, Cycle, June 1977
Husqvarna TE250, 260 lbs, Cycle World, April 2004
Montesa V75 250 Enduro, 259 lbs, Cycle, March 1975
Bultaco 250 Frontera, 256 lbs, Cycle, May 1977
Penton 250 Hare Scrambler, 250 lbs, Cycle, April 1974
Bultaco 250 Alpina, 242 lbs, Cycle, June 1974
The bottom line is, unless you want to go back to the days of 2-strokes with short travel suspensions, the only way to get down to 270 pounds is to buy an exotic European race bike. Honda's XL250 from 1974 weighed within a gallon of gas of the new CRF250L, and the old bike did not have electric start, liquid cooling, long travel suspension, disk brakes, 12V lights, FI, a high-output alternator, etc. It's a miracle the modern bikes are as light as they are.

What 450s? That's a market that has gone to the exotics.
Suzuki DRZ400SM, 322 lbs, Cycle World, June 2005
KTM 450EXC, 276 lbs, Cycle World, June 2007
TM EN450F, 275 lbs, Cycle World, Dec. 2007
BMW G450x, 274lbs, Dirt Rider, April 2009
Penton Mint 400 Enduro, 265 lbs, Cycle, May 1975
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=316846&page=7
Honda CRF230L: Curb Weight 267 lbs (Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel-ready to ride).

WR250R and CRF250L are fine motorcycles, each I have wanted to buy at one time, advantages and disadvantages but great motorcycles. The 250L is probably the friendliest, well done, if the weight is not an issue with one's type of riding. WRR is the best setup dualsport out the door, lighter than 250L but still a bit heavy for my ideal...

My ride-Honda CRF230L. Geometry and suspension is more trail or trials style, precise and easy to ride. Not good for wide-open riding or places where high HP is fun. I weigh 230 and have outclimbed on the 230L guys on bikes seen as "better" here and universally because of 230L engine characteristics= low end unstoppable torque, tractable power instead of wheel spin. It helps that the bike is small and light. This is a dual-sport motorcycle at this weight that will pull highway speed, ride tight and gnarly easily, has indestructable frame and motor- load it up and pin it on the pavement for 70 miles, no problem, then head up singletrack trail with the 40lb load and low 1st gear, and RIDE it! Oh, and 73MPG on the WABDR, loaded!

230L is not fast, except on the tight dirt and on gravel/ dirt roads, small but I think comfortable with handlebar risers and Seat Concepts seat, XRsOnly footpegs. A well designed incredibly bulletproof versatile motorcycle that is mostly overlooked. A few of us here speak of it fondly

ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #129
Staxrider
dirt dauber

Oddometer: 2,041
Thumb

Pointed a coworker to this thread yesterday. New rider who is interested in these two bikes but not sure how deeply he wants to commit. Keep posting up your impressions Ggamster.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:18 AM   #130
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staxrider View Post
Pointed a coworker to this thread yesterday. New rider who is interested in these two bikes but not sure how deeply he wants to commit. Keep posting up your impressions Ggamster.
OK, so an update. I have right at 5K miles on the WR and 1K miles on the CRF250L. These bikes are so different, it is had to consider them in the same class. The quality of the WR is so far above and bond it is ridiculous. I just don't like the honda. The engine has good torque and that is all it has going for it in the real world of every day use. Oh and it is lower to the ground. Not an issue for me but to some it maybe. I have beet the hell out of the WR it have replaced nothing other than tires. BTW the MT-43 trials tire has almost 3k miles on it. it is bald but still finds traction. It will be replaced in 200 miles. Gearing needs to be adjusted with this tire but damn it last. I have been thought it all on the WR and I love the bike. It is my only bike I have ever owned that I don't ever want to sell until it is ragged out. The Honda I would sell without thinking twice about it. I just is substandard in every way compared to the WR. Way more than just the suspension. Just everything about is cheap. I think it is a capable POS. Honestly is is an amazing POS and will get the job done. But it is a POS none the less. The WR is so much better. If you can touch the ground buy the WR!
Old 12-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #131
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Yeah I sat on the CRF250L in the shop and decided to get my WR250X, very happy with the decision (though I knew the bike already because I used to own the WR250R)
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #132
jimhaleyscomet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
OK, so an update. I have right at 5K miles on the WR and 1K miles on the CRF250L. These bikes are so different, it is had to consider them in the same class. The quality of the WR is so far above and bond it is ridiculous. I just don't like the honda. The engine has good torque and that is all it has going for it in the real world of every day use. Oh and it is lower to the ground. Not an issue for me but to some it maybe. I have beet the hell out of the WR it have replaced nothing other than tires. .... I just is substandard in every way compared to the WR. Way more than just the suspension. Just everything about is cheap. I think it is a capable POS. Honestly is is an amazing POS and will get the job done. But it is a POS none the less. The WR is so much better. If you can touch the ground buy the WR!
The two bikes are both 250 dual sports but that is about where the comparison ends. I have purchased both bikes (Honda new, WR used). I prefer the stock Honda for its very linear power output and off the line torque. But I ride a bit slower over rocky surfaces than I could ride on the WR as I am no longer interested in riding on the edge of my skills envelope. Our WR came with power programer and FMS exhaust which is good because I found the stock WR had no punch down low. My son really loves the WR's adjustable suspension. The Honda is a dual sport that might go anywhere the WR will but just a bit slower and smoother than the WR. The WR has more of an MX bias but is much better on the street and gravel roads than a full MX bike.
jimhaleyscomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #133
wvridgerider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNCW View Post
Honda CRF230L: Curb Weight 267 lbs (Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel-ready to ride).

WR250R and CRF250L are fine motorcycles, each I have wanted to buy at one time, advantages and disadvantages but great motorcycles. The 250L is probably the friendliest, well done, if the weight is not an issue with one's type of riding. WRR is the best setup dualsport out the door, lighter than 250L but still a bit heavy for my ideal...

My ride-Honda CRF230L. Geometry and suspension is more trail or trials style, precise and easy to ride. Not good for wide-open riding or places where high HP is fun. I weigh 230 and have outclimbed on the 230L guys on bikes seen as "better" here and universally because of 230L engine characteristics= low end unstoppable torque, tractable power instead of wheel spin. It helps that the bike is small and light. This is a dual-sport motorcycle at this weight that will pull highway speed, ride tight and gnarly easily, has indestructable frame and motor- load it up and pin it on the pavement for 70 miles, no problem, then head up singletrack trail with the 40lb load and low 1st gear, and RIDE it! Oh, and 73MPG on the WABDR, loaded!

230L is not fast, except on the tight dirt and on gravel/ dirt roads, small but I think comfortable with handlebar risers and Seat Concepts seat, XRsOnly footpegs. A well designed incredibly bulletproof versatile motorcycle that is mostly overlooked. A few of us here speak of it fondly

Honda screwed up getting rid of the XR400 platform. They should have updated the suspension and made it a dual spot.
wvridgerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #134
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplodee View Post
this forum is hilarious. I've been reading motorcycle forums about various bikes for the last ten years and this is the only one I've ever been on where people are constantly comparing the lengths of their weiners. Mine is bigger than yours! ;) My KTM is better than your "kiddy" bike ;P blah blah.)
+1 I was gonna read this thread but I can already tell it's ruined by a bunch of comments from wankers who can't understand not everyone wants/needs/cares about the same shit.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #135
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 604
thanks for the quality, real world review
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote