User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #1
locksmith777 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Tiger 800xc vs BMW 800gs

Has this comparison been done before on another thread ? I'd be interested to hear peoples views .
locksmith777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
Fallacy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
This should be fun...again.

Fallacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,268
Uh oh! Pandoras box!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704507

I thought there was another one somewhere too. Did you search?

Also found this.
http://www.triumphtalk.com/showthrea...ph-Tiger-800XC
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
If you want an honest evaluation by a mag that does not rely on advertisement revenue to survive, read this:
http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/features/2011AugTriBMW.pdf

Don't get hung up on which one is best. They are both Adventure bikes. It really depends on what that means to you. They are just at different places within that sprectrum.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
This is very interesting, as I had pretty much narrowed it down to these two bikes... although I have yet to actually RIDE the XC (can't find one).

I did ride the new Triumph Explorer, it has GREAT power!! The BMW (800) seemed more "refined" however...

I guess I should wait ANOTHER SEVERAL MONTHS to test ride an XC, before I decide....
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,210
I did a comparison of the two, test rode them both, and looked into maintenance costs and quality issues.

Ended up buying a Super Tenere. Not what I thought I would do when I started out. Very satisfied.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
I did a comparison of the two, test rode them both, and looked into maintenance costs and quality issues.

Ended up buying a Super Tenere. Not what I thought I would do when I started out. Very satisfied.
Can you elaborate on why you ultimately ended up on the Tenere? Was it strictly maintenance costs?
Old 08-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #8
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbleedORANGE View Post
Can you elaborate on why you ultimately ended up on the Tenere? Was it strictly maintenance costs?
I don't want to rehash a bunch of details here.

But I would certainly do some searches about quality issues and recurring problems. Although many brands and models have some problems, one needs to weigh what is being reported and what is likely behind it. Sample thread to sort through and consider.

Regarding maintenance costs, it is good to look at some common things like valve inspection interval and the cost for that service. Even if someone does the work themselves, a dealer cost of $800 for a valve adjustment might indicate that it can be a time consuming procedure.

I was very interested in the 800GS, but I personally would not have been comfortable taking it on long trips due common recurring problems. No doubt some others have had trouble free experiences.

Other people have other opinions on these matters and that is fine. From what I looked into in my own shopping, I decided not to choose either of the two 800s mentioned. No doubt others have and I'm sure many are very satisfied.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

I've done some research as well... I now have it narrowed down to 3 bikes (I have more time than money).

* Super Tenere (currently tied for 1st, due to perceived reliability, shaft drive and overall "value")

* KTM 990 Adventure (tied for 1st, due to power, off-road handling and the fact that I love KTM's)

* 2013 V-Strom 650 (Up front cost/Value... Reliability)

I've road the ST, KTM and an older DL 650. The KTM was FUN!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 10-04-2012, 08:18 PM   #10
invicta1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Go for fun. Life is short. really. value and reliability arent fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbleedORANGE View Post
I've done some research as well... I now have it narrowed down to 3 bikes (I have more time than money).

* Super Tenere (currently tied for 1st, due to perceived reliability, shaft drive and overall "value")

* KTM 990 Adventure (tied for 1st, due to power, off-road handling and the fact that I love KTM's)

* 2013 V-Strom 650 (Up front cost/Value... Reliability)

I've road the ST, KTM and an older DL 650. The KTM was FUN!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 10-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #11
invicta1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
On another note, little said about the xc here. I report total dependability and great fun. Decent value and I expect great reliability.

and fun and fun and fun

I'll have fun riding it in the morning at 30F.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:46 AM   #12
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
Oh...the infamous reliability topic.

If "research done on Internet" then statement about anything in this list would be incorrect. There is common recurring issues with all bikes in the list - including praised Supertenere 1200. KTM - more issues, BMW - much less on late models, Tiger - much less if old model serviced with recalls or new one etc., DL - less issues.
Even for venerable Strom - I can name you 5-10 people I know who would tell you that Strom is sh...t unreliable and they had cranckshaft problems, top end problems etc.

If you are not mechanic for life or hobby (for me it is hobby to fix bikes) e.g. until you laid you hands on actual bike you not likely to know what really could go wrong. And if you not ridden it - any "research" can be thrown out of window.

The only "safe" option is to go buy 1993 Honda Civic - damn thing never breaks at all.
Remember that old sticket "if it has .... .or wheels it is going to give you problems!"?

Test drive all you can! Let your "gut feeling" do the choice. Bike should be pleasure to ride no matter what. And fun to ride does not mean reliability issues.

I chose Tiger over 800GS for following reasons:
1. Ergos - for some reason on GS800 top frame beams between tank and seat pushing hard on my insight thigh, making it really painful right away.
2. I found that for me - coming from different bikes background, but fresh off 800cc thumper and 1000 cc 90 degrees Vtwin motor was nice but bland and not that elastic as I thought.
3. I did not like GS800 on paved road. I found handling to be not really "carving" stable etc.

Everything opposite was Tiger FOR ME.
1. Ergos - I did not even felt that I am on other bike, it matched my carefully tuned DR800 on ergos
2. Engine is a gem and elasticity of it is crazy good - 40 to 210 kmph in 6th gear? No problem. Bark at 6000 rpms and pull - no problem. Ride it as you want.
3. I was impressed with predictability, stability and sureness of handling on road.

As offroad driver I s...k. Therefore I was equally bad on GS and Tiger and bike made no difference, but Tiger allowed me "do it all in 1st gear".
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:41 AM   #13
Jonny955
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by invicta1 View Post
Go for fun. Life is short. really. value and reliability arent fun.
I think this is the reason I chose the KTM 990 Adventure, after writing down all the comparison stats! & I'm expecting my KTM to be at least as reliable as the other two, thanks...

I was very interested in the 800XC, after owning a trouble-free 955i for many years. I was also impressed by the reports of fantastic fuel efficiency from the F800GS. these two bikes were nagging at me so what did I do?....I tested the latest 2012 KTM and was hooked!

I'm the first to agree that I don't need such an extreme bike for everyday use. The 800XC or the 800GS would do everything I need it to do, except arguably the KTM is better 2-up. General running costs for the Katoom would be higher, no doubt.

You can spend valuable riding time reading all the reviews and listening to enthusiastic owners. Sometimes you've got to go with your heart.

Jon
Jonny955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #14
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
The 800GS is made in China.....

....and thats a fact.

I wonder how long this thread will survive THIS time around before getting punted?
Old 10-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #15
Fallacy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
So far I have 22,218 miles on my 2012 Tiger 800XC, 10,438 of those were on a trip to Alaska.
The only issues I have had was the loss of the front fender in heavy sticky mud on the Dalton, and a failure to idle.
The idle failure was taken care of with a simple cleaning and lubrication of the stepper motor shaft. No further problems with that.
This bike has been flawless in all other respects, I would highly recommend this bike to anyone.
Fallacy is offline   Reply With Quote